Jeez, We Have The Cream Of The Crop Tourists Now

onnut

I had one guy ordering a plate of spaghetti and a bottle of water; after he finished eating, he took out from his bag a knife and a load of vegetables, slice them and start helping himself with pepper, salt, vinegar and olive oil...

I told him i was charging 20 B. for that, and he looked quite upset..

Some people..

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I get accused of being prejudiced, I am NOT! I was a backpacker, at age 47, for around 4 years. Did it full time for 2 years all around the world...several times, actually. I don't care if they are jewish or not...they were from Israel. And GENERALLY speaking, are a bit tight...and do love to negotiate. Exact opposite of Americans....

Not all backpackers are young and broke. I met many, many, many older (and wealthier) travelers cruising around with nothing but a backpack. Checking into a Hilton with me. No, I didn't always stay at a Hilton...but didn't stay at hostels on a regular basis either...but did have a backpack. Sure raised eyebrows at that $400 a night Marriott in Moscow when I checked in.

some Americans can be tight as well.

one of them came into my restaurant with his wife and kid ate food an drank water only for him to kick off with me because he said he ordered 3 waters meaning three glasses of water NOT three bottles so he will not be paying the 35 baht for one of the waters!!

I just said OK, whats the point in arguing with these people. his wife and kid looked scared of him as well.poor feckers. hope he is reading this coz he knows who I mean.

I think Americans, pretty much more than any other nationality, tip way too much. I know when I travel, waiters love to have Americans as their customers...except elderly Americans!

That was my experiance with Americans, I always thought they were good customers, still do except for this guy. rude *&&%%

Scots are careful with their money, there is a difference! :P

Nah, I've found most backpackers are ok, regardless of the nationality, and yet there will always be a sad few who are idiots. Like anywhere, really. :)

he took out from his bag a knife and a load of vegetables, slice them and start helping himself with pepper, salt, vinegar and olive oil...

Had Indian guests (at number 2 on my list of "most demanding guests ever", right after the Israelis) who brought their microwave curry to the restaurant and asked the service staff to take it to the kitchen to heat it up. They also brought their own water and they got extremely upset when I charged corkage fee. They thought it was perfectly normal to bring their own food and drink to the restaurant.....

Edited by hanno

When I worked in hospitality I saw so many examples of extreme tight arsedness that you became immune to them

The amount of people ( non-residents) who didn't understand that you couldn't just walk in off the street, eat your own food in the restaurant and demand complimentary water and ice. God these people made a fuss.

" Is this how you treat your guests?"

Guest? Frigging leech who isn't spending a single satang here.

Some folks tend to forget a hotel is there for one reason - to make money like every other bloody business in the world.

Scots are careful with their money, there is a difference! :P

Nah, I've found most backpackers are ok, regardless of the nationality, and yet there will always be a sad few who are idiots. Like anywhere, really. :)

You have no right to be posting such an articulate, well thought out post on this site.

Nice one, I like it. :D