Need Work Permit? License? To Shoot Videos?

I own a non-Thai company but live here much of the time. I'm wishing to shoot some short 2-3 minute conversation-videos here in Bangkok--for my online Enlglish training courses.

I'm planning on using three people from the US who will be visiting me in Bangkok, and I'm planning on hiring some local expats that have some free time.

My question is--if I'm going to pay people to act in my videos--do I or they need any special permits/licenses to participate? They would not be paid from Thailand but from outside ... but they would perform work in Bangkok.

Since the courses will be online--we plan to offer them here in Thailand eventually.

Hope for some feedback ... I'm new here.

I own a non-Thai company but live here much of the time. I'm wishing to shoot some short 2-3 minute conversation-videos here in Bangkok--for my online Enlglish training courses.

I'm planning on using three people from the US who will be visiting me in Bangkok, and I'm planning on hiring some local expats that have some free time.

My question is--if I'm going to pay people to act in my videos--do I or they need any special permits/licenses to participate? They would not be paid from Thailand but from outside ... but they would perform work in Bangkok.

Since the courses will be online--we plan to offer them here in Thailand eventually.

Hope for some feedback ... I'm new here.

Strictly speaking, it seems both you and your actors will need work permits, but in practice.. :o

Edited by ~G~

<snip>My question is--if I'm going to pay people to act in my videos--do I or they need any special permits/licenses to participate?<snip>

Why not use people here who only have work permits or are Thai Nationals.

The other issue I am not sure, there are better people in this forum to answer that.

Perry;

Have you thought of asking a Lawyer, they can peobably answer the question for a miniscule fraction of what the fine may be.

If you look up the top of the page the Lawyers there can probably help.

I have been in some very dicey situations recently, and I hace the phone number of the Lawyer in my phone..... know what I mean...

<snip>My question is--if I'm going to pay people to act in my videos--do I or they need any special permits/licenses to participate?<snip>

Why not use people here who only have work permits

Nope, technically that doesn't cover them as a work permit is only for one job in one location (although technically that rule would stop you discussing business with your clients over dinner, and what about Chamber of Commerce meets?)

I would guess that some special types of permit or rules might apply though. Aren't there some kind of special rules to encourage the movie industry to shoot in Thailand? Or could you be considered an overseas journalist? Oh 'ell, look, I don't know the answer, but I doubt the same rules apply as, say, office-based work.

I'm about to appear in a Thai film student's zero-budget coursework movie. The location is a field somewhere upcountry. I wonder if that means the field has to be registered as a commercial premises and a company set up and registered for VAT and 2 million baht paid-up capital? I wonder if the Thais realise just how seriously some of us take their work permit laws?

Please note that the contents of this post were created during my leisure time, strictly as a hobby for my own personal enjoyment, and do not constitute legal advice. No compensation is or will be requested for any information provided, either financial or "in kind". Any profits accidentally accrued to myself, as a result of this post, shall be declared to the appropriate authorities.

Edited by The_Other_Mac

I think yuo would find it very difficult to try and get work permits for doing something like this. Is there a department in Thailand where you can get a temp WP for a few days?

I've seen people in the movie industry come and go many times. They come here for a shoot and leave a few days later, all without work permits. As you are paying your guys from outside Thailand, I guess it's easier to get away with in the event something happens which is very unlikely. Also depends on the scale of the production.

If were you, I'd get in touch with a local production house to help out... Are you bringing your own gear, crew?