Udon Thani Immigration Request A Certification Of Embassy Income Letter By Foreign Affairs

A friend of mine is about to request a retirement extension using the monthly income method.

He went at the Udon Thani Immigration Office at the Airport and over all the regular requirement they asked him to go to Bangkok Foreign Affair Ministry to have his letter of income from Canadian Embassy certified.

The officer told him all office like Chiangmai and Chonburi ( Pattaya )have the same request and he know it is not true.

Any member residing in Udon Thani can confirm this request ? What should he do ?

Is he targeted for some tea money ? :unsure:

Thanks!

In Phuket, as a US citizen I always have to get a certified letter on income from the US Embassy or Consulate outreach. Unless you have over 800,000 in a Thai bank account in your name for 3 months, an earnings certificate is required, or combination earning and savings to equal 800,000 Baht. There are threads about requirements for a one year extensions for retirement in this forum.

No tea money involved, just the rules.

The question has nothing to do with Embassy letter but with that letter having to be certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as is a permission to marry statement. This was started but quickly dropped several years ago. There has been only infrequent reporting of this since then.

In Phuket, as a US citizen I always have to get a certified letter on income from the US Embassy or Consulate outreach. Unless you have over 800,000 in a Thai bank account in your name for 3 months, an earnings certificate is required, or combination earning and savings to equal 800,000 Baht. There are threads about requirements for a one year extensions for retirement in this forum.

I don't think they have a disagreement with getting the letter from the Embassy, their disagreement is having to take that letter to the Ministry of Foriegn affairs to get it certified.

My extension of stay based on retirement was done in March in Udon. My monthly income affidavit from the US Embassy was accepted. No mention of it being required to be certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Edited by mackayae

My extension of stay based on retirement was done in March in Udon. My monthly income affidavit from the US Embassy was accepted. No mention of it being required to be certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Did mine in July at Udon same as mackayae no problems ..letter from UK Embassy no mention of MFA

Edited by Tafia

Thanks to all for quick answers.

I am glad to know that two member did their extension in Udon Thani without going to the certification at Foreign Affair.

I certainly will tell my friends that he should bring all the required paperworks as usual and try without the Foreign Affair Certification.

I will ask him to let me know how it goes in October.

I am glad to know that two member did their extension in Udon Thani without going to the certification at Foreign Affair.

I certainly will tell my friends that he should bring all the required paperworks as usual and try without the Foreign Affair Certification.

Make sure it's the original letter with the Embassy embossed stamp on it....and

Apply for the extension early enough just in case this is a new requirement so your friend has time to get done what is requested.

Edited by Tafia

Only just noticed this thread so apologies for the late reply.

Before I went to Phu Sing office last December (for a retirement extension) I was told to bring the original UK Embassy letter plus a straightforward translation (not certified).

Everything worked OK - the translation only cost me 200 Baht so I wasn't that bothered.

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON AT UDON THANI IMMIGRATION,

I HAVE BEEN IN THAILAND FOR 5 YEARS ON A RETIRMENT VISA. HAVE USED PATTAYA, BANGKOK, HUA HIN, AND NONG KHAI OFFICES TO RENEW... NEVER A PROBLEM. THIS YEAR I RENEWED IN UDON. NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS, THEY WERE RUDE. AND ANGRY. ALL PAPERS WERE IN ORDER AS OTHER YEARS. IT WAS MY PLACE OF RESIDENCE THAT UPSET THEM. I HAD LETTER AND MAP FROM MY GIRLFRIEND, LANDLORDS HOUSE BOOK AND THERE PAPER FOR RESIDENSY FILLED OUT BY MY LANDLORD. THEY INSISTED THAT BEFORE I GOT MY STAMP BOTH GIRLFRIEND AND LANDLORD COME TO OFFICE, THEY DID THE NEXT DAY. THEY TRIED TO FINE MY LAND LORD 800BHT FOR NOT REPORTING THAT I LIVED IN HIS HOUSE.... HE REFUSED. IT WAS NOTHING BUT A SHAKE DOWN.

I GOT MY STAMP IN THE END... THIS OFFICE IS OUT OF CONTROL.

Landlord is indeed responsible for reporting the presence of a foreigner to Immigration so that was not a shakedown.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager

where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the

competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or

hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office

located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

In case the house , dwelling place , or hotel where the alien has stayed under provision of Para.1

is located within the Bangkok area , such notification must be reported to the competent official at the

Immigration Division.

Making notification , in reference to the Para 1 and 2 of this Section , must comply with

regulations prescribed by the Director General.

Section 77 : Whoever fails to comply with the provision of Section 38, shall be punished with a fine not

exceeding 2,000 Baht. If said person is a hotel manager, he shall be punished with a fine from 2,000 Baht

to 10,000 Baht.

THE LAND LORD FILLED OUT THE RESEDENCY PAPERS THE YEAR BEFOR WHEN I APPLIED IN NONG KHAI AT THE OLD OFFICE.. I ALSO HAD HIS HOUSE BOOK THEN AND A LETTER FROM THE SAME GIRLFRIEND AND MAP THEN 2009.

SINCE THEN I HAD REGESTERED MY ADDREESS WITH THEM FOR A DRIVERS LICENCE WITH THERE ADDREES FORM FILLED OUT BY MY LAND LORD FOR THE SECOND TIME AND A CAR PURCHASE WITH ALL THE FORMS AGAIN AND REPORTED EVERY 90 DAYS... I HAD BEEN IN THIS HOUSE FOR 18 MONTHS AT THE TIME OF LAST VISA RENEWAL... DO YOU STILL THINK IT WAS NOT A SHAKE DOWN, OR HAD MY LAND LORD AND I NEGLECTED SOMTHING ELSE... PLEASE LET MY KNOW... THANKS

I HAVE BEEN IN THAILAND FOR 5 YEARS ON A RETIRMENT VISA. HAVE USED PATTAYA, BANGKOK, HUA HIN, AND NONG KHAI OFFICES TO RENEW... NEVER A PROBLEM. THIS YEAR I RENEWED IN UDON. NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS, THEY WERE RUDE. AND ANGRY. ALL PAPERS WERE IN ORDER AS OTHER YEARS. IT WAS MY PLACE OF RESIDENCE THAT UPSET THEM. I HAD LETTER AND MAP FROM MY GIRLFRIEND, LANDLORDS HOUSE BOOK AND THERE PAPER FOR RESIDENSY FILLED OUT BY MY LANDLORD. THEY INSISTED THAT BEFORE I GOT MY STAMP BOTH GIRLFRIEND AND LANDLORD COME TO OFFICE, THEY DID THE NEXT DAY. THEY TRIED TO FINE MY LAND LORD 800BHT FOR NOT REPORTING THAT I LIVED IN HIS HOUSE.... HE REFUSED. IT WAS NOTHING BUT A SHAKE DOWN.

Please turn off your "caps lock" on your keyboard when posting on this forum. You possibly may not know that every time you change your address, the house owner of where you stay must fill in your details on an Immigration form within 24 hours of your arrival. Every time you depart /go on holiday etc. the house owner is obliged to report on your return if you are away more than 24 hours. I have had friends fined 1500 baht for faling to comply (well, the Thai lady they are living with (house registered in their name). It is not a shake down...it is a Thai Immigration regulation

You said nothing about a prior reporting in your original post and it is not clear if that report was a 24 hour report or something else (to confirm your address and thus the office you are required to use). There must be, by law, a report made within 24 hours of your arrival but Thai, being Thai, take a low interest in doing so most of the time and normally only paid lodging places get checked. It seems to be a minor irritant rather than "out of control" but your view may be different. It would help if you did not type in caps as that is considered shouting on forums and makes it difficult to read for many people.

The form that my land lord had filled out within 24 hr. of my arrival in 2009 when I did my 1st 90 day in this house was "NOTIFICATION FROM FOR HOUSE-MASTER OWNER OR THE POSSESSOR OF THE RESIDENCE WHERE ALIEN HAS STAYED'

I since have taken them this form 2 more times befor my visa renewal.

In Augest, along with this form again and copy of his house book and my girlfriends letter, map and copy of her ID.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH HE SAID bring your landlord here and your girl friend.. I did not argue I smiled and returned with a very confused land lord for the Shake Down he refused to pay... and they did not push the issue. Stamped my visa and smiled at the lose of there 800 bht.

I have lived here since 1994 prity much full time, 1st problem ever.... Shake Down. They were rude to my wealthy Thai landlord..He said so and was shocked.

Other Falang with problems in Udon office please speak up, for all of us... Thank You

I am also from Udon Thani & renewed my 1 year Visa just 2 weeks ago.. There did indeed seem to be a change in the attitude of the staff at that office. There does seem to be an expectation of something when renewing your Visa--of course there is never any change when handing over money, a small amount just 100baht when you give the 2,000 for your 1,900 fee. But it is said without even looking ---and if one does need another Photo copy of anything--just expect the same---"No Change" whatever you hand over. I think people ---myself included are reluctant to criticize the Udon office after coming from what had to be the most user unfriendly office in Thailand Nong Kai

I renewed retirement visas for both my wife and me on 16 Sept in Udon. Also got reentry visa for both of us as we're going to the US for a month soon. Smiles all around the office, I didn't hear anyone raise their voice to any of the customers. In the 10++ years we've been here, the only time I've heard immigration officials raise their voice is when they're challenged by a falang.....usually because the falang things he's right (when he's usually not). Just my own experience.

I am sorry KoKesat-----did I miss something there---whoever said anything about raised voices ??

And the 10++ years you have been here---I dont quite see the relavence to Udon Thani Immigration as that has not been open very long. There does seem to be a lot of difference in interpretation of the laws, between different areas. One would only have to look at the letters here to see that. ---And it would also seem that Udon Thani gave the O.P. the wrong instructions re his monthly Income letter--- whether it was done with a smile or not---This time the falang was right. ...... Just my own observation.

The question has nothing to do with Embassy letter but with that letter having to be certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as is a permission to marry statement. This was started but quickly dropped several years ago. There has been only infrequent reporting of this since then.

True - I read that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs became swamped with requests and didn't have the facilities or personnel to handle the situation.

Last Jan, I went to Udon Thani Airport with copies of my letter (US Embassy). For years, a copy of a letter less than 3 years old was sufficient. This year, they wanted the original.

Plus, I have heard there is now a requirement that the letter be no more than a month old.

Both requirements; Foreign Ministry Stamp and recent letter are a serious problem for anyone far from those offices...

Edited by dighambara

As an American, I was initially confused by such requirements and also thought such requirements were just a shakedown, then my wife and I bought a house and I learned all about TaBienBahn (house registration).

Such a registration is unheard of in the US and a requirement to report your whereabouts is also a very foreign concept. People move all the time, all over the country, 3000+ miles, without restriction.

The form that my land lord had filled out within 24 hr. of my arrival in 2009 when I did my 1st 90 day in this house was "NOTIFICATION FROM FOR HOUSE-MASTER OWNER OR THE POSSESSOR OF THE RESIDENCE WHERE ALIEN HAS STAYED'

I since have taken them this form 2 more times befor my visa renewal.

In Augest, along with this form again and copy of his house book and my girlfriends letter, map and copy of her ID.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH HE SAID bring your landlord here and your girl friend.. I did not argue I smiled and returned with a very confused land lord for the Shake Down he refused to pay... and they did not push the issue. Stamped my visa and smiled at the lose of there 800 bht.

I have lived here since 1994 prity much full time, 1st problem ever.... Shake Down. They were rude to my wealthy Thai landlord..He said so and was shocked.

Other Falang with problems in Udon office please speak up, for all of us... Thank You

In years past, I have typically gone to the Nong Khai or Udon Immigration offices, including the Udon office at AEK Udon Hospital and now at the Airport. I had a few very minor problems - usually with some new person, over some form no longer required. Upon returning with the form and seeing a new person behind the desk, everything went smoothly, even if the form went in the trash...LOL

Once, however, a woman Officer (Nina, I believe) insisted that I change my bank account to a different bank. However, the last two years, they have not insisted on seeing a letter from the bank and last January, didn't ask for it or take it, although I had in my hand...

In seven years, the process has never been exactly the same - there is a little variation every time, but every office has been reasonably efficient - including; Pattaya, Udon, Nong Khai and Bangkok...

My embassy letter was dated in Feb 2010. No problems. I provided the original from the embassy and nothing else (translations or foreign ministry certification).

You're right, Ox01947....Udon immigration has been on and off over the 10 years. But in all my dealings, my wife and I have never had a problem or any unusual demands.....the same goes for dealing with Nongkai.

I've never heard of anyone from the Udon area having their embassy letter certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or by anyone else. Seems to be a recurring rumor.

In Nongkhai the embassy letter stating your income MUST be in English or Thai AND must be verified in Bangkok Chaeng Wattana. This is a rule for many years there. The bank statement must be from the same day you apply. Nowadays they want you to sign a letter stating that IF circumstances change after you had a new extension they can kick you out of the country. My lawyer asked them about these conditions and their answer was that there had been fraud with embassy papers. I talk about a ret extension; do not know about other extensions.

In Nongkhai the embassy letter stating your income MUST be in English or Thai AND must be verified in Bangkok Chaeng Wattana. This is a rule for many years there. The bank statement must be from the same day you apply. Nowadays they want you to sign a letter stating that IF circumstances change after you had a new extension they can kick you out of the country. My lawyer asked them about these conditions and their answer was that there had been fraud with embassy papers. I talk about a ret extension; do not know about other extensions.

Aaah, At last a post that tries to get in behind the facts . I didn't realise the forms have to be in English. Maybe Canada would like to say in what language his letter is written and whether it is a copy,how old etc. Postees just assume too much and expect a personalised response when half the facts are missing.

Another thing that interests me is the difference between the postees claiming to be telling the same story. For example I have seen guys having a hard time in immig standing in flip flops bony hairy knees and sleevless vests.When the next guy in long trousers has an easy ride....

Respect.

Well, there must be a different Nongkai than the one I used to go to just across from Vientienne.

"In Nongkhai the embassy letter stating your income MUST be in English or Thai AND must be verified in Bangkok Chaeng Wattana. This is a rule for many years there."

Up until last Oct, we were doing our visa renewals in Nongkai.....with the same Nongkai immigration crew coming to Udon when their small office was open. We never had a letter verified in Bangkok Chaeng Wattana.......nor do we know of anyone who was required to do so"

there always seems to be some new thing you have to do or a new person doing the paperwork that drives us all a little mad at times. The last time I did my year extention I did not have my residence papers with me as I had not had to supply them before this year, so they told me to bring it to them when I picked up my passport.

I had the paperwork with me when I picked up my passport but forgot to give it to them and they did not ask for them so will make sure I have the papers with me next year so as not to have a problem.

I have not had any real problems extending yearly and have been doing it for about 5 years now. Fingers crossed on this.