A Pleasant Morning At The Trasportation Office

SamKong

After too many years in Thailand without a proper drivers' license, I decided it was time to bite the bullet and attempt to take my driving test for both motorbike and car. I had heard horror stories so I'd been dreading it.

Last Thursday I arrived at 8.50, queued up with most of my documents (of course a few more odd pages needed to be copied) and waited to take the pedal test. I passed, took the color-blind test and was then immediately directed to pay for the test and take my picture. Unlike the other westerners, I didn't need to take the written, nor practical exams. Why? Because I showed them my valid license from home. I had heard rumors of this but wasn't sure if it was true. Thankfully, it turned out to be so.

Basically, if you've got a valid license from home, getting your license is a piece of cake.

-If you've got a WP, you don't need a residency card; just copy the front page, the page with your address on it (page 2) and the last page from the permit.

-Copy three bits from your passport: picture page, last date of entry page and your visa page.

-You'll also need your medical cert (one for each license) and copies of your valid license from home.

-I was never asked for the photos that every website says you need.

-The costs were less than 500 THB all-in and it took about 90 minutes to complete.

Now if only my next trip to Immigration could go so well...

• Like 1

Great post , good info , glad it went ok, with immigration I have found if you are prepared and pleasant it is quite a smooth process. I have only had one all day session at the old Suan Plu and I felt a bit sorry for the staff as they were besieged from all sides by people with missing bits of paperwork , all cajoling and wheedling to get their stuff done first.

Just curious about one thing, I have a WP but my office is in Samut Prakan and I live in Bangkok ,( difference Amphur ) , did they put your work address on the licence or your home ?

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

I cannot tell if they've used my home or work address because I use my office as my home address--the post office in Phuket is notorious for thievery so I use the office as it's much more official-looking.

My license from home is my national license and not my IDP. I do believe it must be a national license and not the IDP. Perhaps only certain nations qualify???

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

I cannot tell if they've used my home or work address because I use my office as my home address--the post office in Phuket is notorious for thievery so I use the office as it's much more official-looking.

My license from home is my national license and not my IDP. I do believe it must be a national license and not the IDP. Perhaps only certain nations qualify???

Like other OP GREAT to hear good news.

One question re Motor Bike Licence - did you also have your own Country's Bike licence or just a car Licence ?

BT

One question re Motor Bike Licence - did you also have your own Country's Bike licence or just a car Licence ?

BT

This is what threw me. I don't a motorbike license so that's not indicated on my standard-issue DL.. However, when I showed them my DL and told them I was going for both motorbike and car, they must have authorized me for both without checking (nor asking). Bless 'em. :)

BT

This is what threw me. I don't a motorbike license so that's not indicated on my standard-issue DL.. However, when I showed them my DL and told them I was going for both motorbike and car, they must have authorized me for both without checking (nor asking). Bless 'em. :)

Interesting, when I showed them my California, USA DL they said it's for a car only, I'll have to take the motorbike test... Everytime I get up early enough to go, it's been raining, now I need a new medical cert as they are only good for 30 days. Did you need two original med certs or an original and a copy as they had told me at the information desk.

Edited by Jimi007

Unfortunately I have to say that at the time when I applied for a Thai driving license (a few years back) they did NOT accept my home driving license nor an International Driving License from my home country. I had to pass the written (English) test as well the practical test for both the motorbike as well as the car.

Unfortunately I have to say that at the time when I applied for a Thai driving license (a few years back) they did NOT accept my home driving license nor an International Driving License from my home country. I had to pass the written (English) test as well the practical test for both the motorbike as well as the car.

Same as that Lotus, I went about 2 years ago to get the "Thai licence" but was told because I only had the paper copy of my UK licence I would have to do the whole thing. It was certainly an experience. I had W/P as well but it turned out ok. It was veryu efficient i must add. Even when I went back for my 5 year one it was in and out in 20 mins. It is one place that farangs actually get in front of thais.

Cheers

Well you folks who didn't have to take the tests sure missed out on some entertainment.

It was some of the funniest stuff I've seen in Thailand although I seemed to be the only one laughing.

One woman got completely turned around in the parallel parking spot and knocked down 6 posts. She passed eventually though.

Tried with my US drivers license last year, but they wouldn't accept. Something about my license type (class D vehicle, which equates to a 2 axle vehicle under a certain weight) that didn't compute. Asked me to get a letter from NJ DMV explaining or get an international drivers permit. Went back to US recently and now have the IDP (thank you AAA). Will go over soon to see if this works. Fingers crossed.

Good stuff.. Sure some folks got the run around but they looked like it was up for a good roasting for them. I did my temp, (1year) in BKK out in Suk 101 something.. Mai Pen Rai. Went back and got my 5 year at same place... Being a law abiding gent when I moved to Phuket I went out to get my new card (in both style and address) and that was more hoops than Miki Jordan ever saw... A med for a new address, etc. I had just gotton a hair cut so mabey that was the problem????????

Now, let me just say that because a driving card will not attract a Ha Roy fine at cholong Circle doesn't mean you are out of the woods..OK it tis the law that after 90 days of residence you need a Thai DL. there are some funky dudes with offices who give you these papers etc... Have a smash up and see that beside being Farang you are guilty of have no lic when they look thru your passport. I know of a gent who stayed in Chalong lock up 2 extra days because of his Thailand INt'l lic. Do what you like but the smart money is on.. Proper Papers, always

Yuu all are lucky. When i first appled for my thai license i had to take the written test in thai. Not to bother as i coulnd't read a word of it so she just gave me a passing grade. Have never taken the driving test and am now on my 3rd 5 year license.

Last time i failed the color test as i answered in English then passed when i switched to Thai... :jap: