Why Do Westerners Choose Thailand Over The Phillipines?

wintermute

But back on topic, I've often wondered that myself, WM. Frankly, to hear these whiners complain about Thailand day in and day out, it would seem that anywhere else would be better. But the PI would seem a viable alternative for those who are lacking in the local language department. So yes, I would certainly encourage those who are sick of Thailand to give the PI a try. In fact, I strongly encourage it. Better yet, I'm freakin begging you, please go. Better still, get the heck out of here already! :whistling:

I like the Philippines but Thailand does have better infastructure. The best quote I heard was from a US expat in the PI that said "The guys that live in Thailand would not dream of living in the Philippines and the reverse is also true."

Different strokes for different folks I guess :D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say you're unlucky now.

Why? Because you're living in Thailand where you don't like the people (though, of course, you're not a hater) and where the people apparently don't like you unless you have money to spend. And you're not living where you like the people and where the people like you regardless of your spending pattern.

Woe is you, life is unfair, the locals don't adore you.

:) whatever mate, I think it says alot more about you that you decided to join this thread just to try and put me down than it does about me explaining that I had a wonderful time in country which people who have never even been there are slating.

I love Thailand, I think I've said at least 3 times in this thread alone already why I prefer to be here and with my Thai gf than anywhere else. To be honest the worst thing about Thailand is that it is full of miserable old losers who just like to bicker and whose only pleasure comes from trying to patronise strangers on a forum.

Peace.

I have lived in the Philippines for some years before coming to Thailand. The most positive thing is its people who are extremely friendly and polite. Another good thing is you can have helpers in the house at a very affordable salary. The major negative thing is widespread poverty and lack of safety.

Thailand infrastructure, tourist destinations etc are better than in PI.

But maybe we all will change our opinion in the coming years when THB to USD is at 24 and PHP to USD still is at 44. :whistling:

I have lived in the Philippines for some years before coming to Thailand. The most positive thing is its people who are extremely friendly and polite. Another good thing is you can have helpers in the house at a very affordable salary. The major negative thing is widespread poverty and lack of safety.

Thailand infrastructure, tourist destinations etc are better than in PI.

But maybe we all will change our opinion in the coming years when THB to USD is at 24 and PHP to USD still is at 44. :whistling:

Yes, the Philippines has been a "backup plan" for me for a long time. Also note that they have a retirement visa program at financial levels that are affordable to most western retirees (and a pension is not required as it is also not for Thailand, which is rare in the retirement visa world). Unlike Malaysia, which has priced itself out for the masses.

Edited by Jingthing

Na, posters have already opined that 25:1 is no big deal because that used to be a target on the Baht/USD peg...

But it would convince me to sky up :D

Yeah from 30 to 1 to 25 to 1 isn't much of ride, but from 45 to 1 to 25 to 1, it is. I moved here realizing the history of the 25 rate but actually hitting that again would be a red flag for me, and many others.

Some ex pats have been forced out already due to the Baht's appreciation but they might have been on a very tight budget with no safety net built in.

The bigger question is how about value for money? If the exchane rate was 20:1 (easier to calculate :D ) that B400 ticket to enter the Grand Palace would now cost $20 USD. IS it worth it? Depends on the expat or visitor.

Any way, I wonder if the Philippines will still be a "shit hole" if the baht continues to strengthen :D

Jing, what would it take to uproot you? What's your breaking point???

Probably 20. I am invested here.

On the positive side, at 20:1, cashing in your baht holdings will yield a handsome profit, a nice lump sum to start out with in another country :D

Jing, what would it take to uproot you? What's your breaking point???

Probably 20. I am invested here.

On the positive side, at 20:1, cashing in your baht holdings will yield a handsome profit, a nice lump sum to start out with in another country :D

If I can sell ...

The other thing to consider, is if you have a Thai spouse...

If I was alone, I could simply pick up and move to the PHs, if that became a necessary second choice, though I'm not sure that would be my second choice.

But with a Thai spouse, that changes the equation. If we had to leave Thailand, probably somewhere closer like Laos or Cambodia... I'm not sure my spouse would have any desire to live in the PHs....

Edited by jfchandler

Yes, the Philippines has been a "backup plan" for me for a long time. Also note that they have a retirement visa program at financial levels that are affordable to most western retirees (and a pension is not required as it is also not for Thailand, which is rare in the retirement visa world).

PH as a backup plan is in my back pocket as well.

Having been both in the cities and rural areas, I would definitely link up with a family I know in a rural village on Mindanao (but within 3 hours of Davao, a fairly large city with the conveniences and medical care). As JT has said, the requirements for a visa for retirees is much more friendly and accommodating than Thailand's. I also see the Filipinos as extremely friendly and polite, with a special fondness for Americans (you know, being a colony and all... :rolleyes:) Much less xenophobia in the PH compared to Thailand. I see an increasing tendency for Thailand's government and press to lay the cause for much of Thailand's problems at the feet of foreigners (eroding of Thai culture and morals, pollution, even bed bugs on the trains!) This trend worries me.

And, sorry, but I don't think Thai is an easy language to learn (as one poster stated). Thai is the 9th language I've studied and I find it the most difficult! I picked up a fair amount of Tagalog after only a week in the PH and was actually understood! Plus, English is always a ready backup, even in the rural areas where children are taught the language from the first year onwards.

Further, I don't have a rabid anti-Christian reaction as several previous posters, due to the belief that the Filipinos' cultural characteristics overrides any religious negatives. Conversely, the local religion in TH certainly hasn't helped problems of corruption, material greed, and social harmony here, so why bother about the religious factor anyway? TH as the PH has a majority who simply wear religion as an outer garment, to be quickly cast off or ignored as the situation requires.

My main tie to Thailand right now are good friends and a good job. However, retirement comes in just a few years....

Edited by Fookhaht

I like the Philippines but Thailand does have better infastructure. The best quote I heard was from a US expat in the PI that said "The guys that live in Thailand would not dream of living in the Philippines and the reverse is also true."

Probably very true.

When I lived in RP I didn't like Thailand.

Since I came to live in Thailand I wouldn't consider moving back to RP.

It's a mixed story.

Filipinos are more friendly than Thais, and you can have some meaningful discussion with them if they have some education - rarely the case in Thailand.

Landscapes in the Philippines are more beautiful too. Much better beaches and not overrun. Palawan has some incredible tourist spots, nothing comparable in Thailand. And generally it is cheaper than Thailand, including hotels.

But as has been said, the country is run down, has crappy infrastructure, crappy medical system, crappy roads and public transport. It is not safe everywhere. But the worst is the food, which is by far the worst in the whole of Asia. You can be lucky if you can find a Western restaurant somewhere, but even then it is just for filling you up, not for some pleasure.

I'd regard it as a nice holiday spot, good for a few weeks but not for a living unless you are on a really low budget.

Edited by GreenSnapper

Made to to my hotel at 11:30. Was still hungry so I went to Greenbelt, a very upscale mall with open restaurants. Had a very good Spanish meal, but as I was leaving, was propositioned by a rather road-weary prostitute while still in the mall.

Went back to my room and watched television--one thing far better than in Thaiand.

Lots of great restos in the Makati area...like Gulliver's Prime Rib, the Deli resto at the Mandarin Oriental, and the Hard Rock at Greenbelt ain't bad either.

I dunno about the TV though...all those stupid Pinoy shoot-em ups and telenovelas staring Erap and FPJ and the Catholic masses and sermons droning on and on!

Probably very true.

When I lived in RP I didn't like Thailand.

Since I came to live in Thailand I wouldn't consider moving back to RP.

I guess some of us are just the sort who make up our minds to like the one we're with.

It makes for happier times.

Made to to my hotel at 11:30.  Was still hungry so I went to Greenbelt, a very upscale mall with open restaurants.  Had a very good Spanish meal, but as I was leaving, was propositioned by a rather road-weary prostitute while still in the mall.

Went back to my room and watched television--one thing far better than in Thaiand.

Lots of great restos in the Makati area...like Gulliver's Prime Rib, the Deli resto at the Mandarin Oriental, and the Hard Rock at Greenbelt ain't bad either.

I dunno about the TV though...all those stupid Pinoy shoot-em ups and telenovelas staring Erap and FPJ and the Catholic masses and sermons droning on and on!

I probably should have been more specific.  I wasn't writing about Filipino TV, but rather the tv available.  For half the price of True, you get many, many more channels and with a more varied fare.  You get the AXN and such as with True, and as much as I like Discovery/History/Nat Geo, you don't get that in exclusion of many other channels like you do with True.  Fox Entertainment. Lifestyle, the Asian Food Channel (one of my favs), Jack TV, MAXX, and so on.  There just are many more choices using Sky, for example, and at half the price.

Even some of the Filipino channels have foreign fare, so it is not all telenovelas and sermons.