American National Killed In Pattaya Road Accident

Rimmer

American national killed in Pattaya road accident

PATTAYA: -- A 56-year-old United States national driving a motorbike was killed on Sukhumvit Road in yet another road accident on the streets of Pattaya. Identified as Mr Paul Eric Walpole, the American national, was riding his motorbike along Sukhumvit Road near the Banglamung School on Tuesday when he allegedly attempted to cross in front of a Toyota sedan driven by a Thai man.

Full story is HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One

2010-09-15

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

when will they learn. this is not America Na!!!! wear a helmet. the same as in the country they came from.

good on the Thai guy for stopping and going to the station. he must of had connections!

RIP American guy,

Edited by Rimmer
Insensitive remark

when will they learn. this is not America Na!!!! wear a helmet. the same as in the country they came from.

good on the Thai guy for stopping and going to the station. he must of had connections!

RIP American guy,

Why must you assume that the only reason the Thai driver waited and went to the police station was because he was "connected". Did you ever stop to think that the Thai driver was innocent in all respects concerning the accident. :angry:

RIP American guy,

Why must you assume that the only reason the Thai driver waited and went to the police station was because he was "connected". Did you ever stop to think that the Thai driver was innocent in all respects concerning the accident. :angry:

probably because its the first time I have read that a Thai guy hung around after an accident! they normaly scarper.:angry:

I see about 1 scooter accident a week. Some pretty bad. Sure, many of the Thai drivers are crazy, but the farangs seem to be worse. I guess it's like being a kid in a candy store without your parents. Farangs over here go crazy as there is no law enforcement with regards to driving. I'm amazed at the crazy stunts farang drivers commit. I've been cut off several times....while I am doing 80KPH on Suk!

But not wearing a helmet...

Edited by Rimmer
Insensitive remark

If you are crossing over from the right lane to the left to make a u-turn, or what ever, it is very easy to be rear ended, because you are going slower, and the left lane is moving very fast. I have had this happen to me several times, on Sukhumvit. Getting from the slow lane to the fast is not always easy. I have been driving a motor bike for more than half a year now, so most of the mistakes I have made are in the past. If you are here for a short time and not used to the traffic here, then many things can happen, but driving without a helmet, especially on Sukhumvit is crazy. I agree, a lot of farangs here have completely forgot how to drive, and start to drive like a Thai. I dont know the statistics, but I would guess that first timers here, on a rented bike, have the most accidents.

oh well we all know roads in Thailand are very dangerous not to mention Thai drivers don't have knowledge of manners and respect in driving .How many time we have seen people on motorcycle without helmets, Thais and foreigners. Maybe its time for the government to act quickly , as we know 15,000 people die on roads every year in the Kingdom.

RIP American guy,

Highly unlikely the way they drive

RIP American guy,

Random acts of stupidity occur, regardless of nationality. As you have proved once again.

RIP American guy,

Random acts of stupidity occur, regardless of nationality. As you have proved once again.

I dont get that!

RIP American guy,

I dont get that!

I know.

RIP American guy,

probably because its the first time I have read that a Thai guy hung around after an accident! they normaly scarper.:angry:

Brings back bad memories of when I was hit/run while on m/b, same highway. The guy that hit me was a thai (witness) I was left unconscience on road and some kindly thais put me in a P/U and off to Hosp at Pattaya Klang.

Actually a lot of road rash and a broken rib and three more cracked.I still don't remember anything, but know I'm lucky to be alive.7 days in hosp. Its dangerous as hel_l out there be careful.

I was lucky even though I was hurt people stopped and got me out of the road and off to hosp. Sure, I had a helmet it got beat up and I got a bad concussion is all. RIP to the unlucky fellow American.

RIP American guy,

Brings back bad memories of when I was hit/run while on m/b, same highway. The guy that hit me was a thai (witness) I was left unconscience on road and some kindly thais put me in a P/U and off to Hosp at Pattaya Klang.

Actually a lot of road rash and a broken rib and three more cracked.I still don't remember anything, but know I'm lucky to be alive.7 days in hosp. Its dangerous as hel_l out there be careful.

I was lucky even though I was hurt people stopped and got me out of the road and off to hosp. Sure, I had a helmet it got beat up and I got a bad concussion is all. RIP to the unlucky fellow American.

Lucky for you, close call. :)

I was going to write the details of what I saw once but then did not think it was right to do on the thread.

stay safe everyone, including rijb

I would like to interview people close to the American regarding his driving and wearing a helmet.

Also I would love to know the car drivers true driving record and his past with road rage.

I take with a half of grain of salt what the paper says.

What did the 50 people all around the crash site on busy Sukhumvit really see?

I hate blame the farang game since he cant speak!!!

I just recieved a PM telling me I am obviously not an American otherwise I would of known that not all States have a helmet law where the public has to use a helmet by Law.

Now I do know. :blink:

mind boggling as I would have though the US of A would have had that in place throughout the whole nation.

Americans really value their freedom. Helmet laws were a big fight when I was in California. The turning point? Hospital costs with regards to accident victims not wearing helmets. The insurance industry went to town on this one and basically out spent bikers on advertisements when it came up for a vote.

Gun laws are another sensitive subject.

• Like 1