Your Suggestions For Chiang Mai'S Most Delectable Restaurant?

BOOKEMDANO

Hello,

This question is really for those who have a particular place in mind where they like to 'indulge' themselves once in a while. I would like to know, as I'm sure many would, where your best experience has been when it comes to dinning out? I, unfortunately, haven't had a great deal of opportunity to 'do the rounds' as it were, but I have eaten at some delightful places with some amazing scenery and excellent service.

I have booked the Grand Lanna restaurant at the Dhara Dhevi for the first time and I'm really looking forward to this one; the pictures of this hotel look 'incredible' and I'm sure it will be a great evening, especially lounging in the horn bar afterwards.

I don't pretend to be a a great connoisseur on the subject of food, but I do know that I like to treat myself once in a while and over indulge, in what I consider to be, Thailand's Mecca for great food.

Opinions greatly appreciated.

jap.gif

I like Le Crystal but only for a special occasion. For normal celebrations like birthdays etc I always go to Dukes.

Dukes is great Mr Miller, but why do they have to put coriander :bah: in the coleslaw i want western style not Thai style.

I feel so aggrieved by this that i am thinking of sending a letter to the head office demanding no fukcing coriander in the coleslaw pleeeeease :annoyed::D

Did you all come here to eat Western food?

Heuan Phen for Northern Thai

Mit Mai for Yunnanese

Khao Soi Islam for... Khao Soi

Good Times for Central Thai

And you won't catch me dead in Dukes - not so much the food as the missionaries.

• Like 2

Mit Mai for Yunnanese

And you won't catch me dead in Dukes - not so much the food as the missionaries.

No man, one certainly does not go to Thailand to gorge on Western food, BUT, occasionally (well speaking for myself) I do get a craving for some of my favourite dishes from home. Simple things like bacon and eggs, a nice home cooked roast, great pasta, bread and wine etc etc. Now I know these tpyes of dishes can be found in Thailand, so when you do happen to track down an establishment that serves great western food, I don't think it hurts to satisfy those cravings one might have every now and then. In saying that though, I can't say I frequented all that many western style places when in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. When living in Bangkok, I was right next to Sukhumvit 38, where there is fantastic Thai food to be had - most of it for 30 Baht! When in Chiang Mai, I mostly ate at the various street stalls, not only because they are great value, but also because more often than not the food was great. I think one of the few western style places I tried in CM was Salsa Kitchen - I found it pretty good (well the servings were huge anyway)!

But yeah, it will be good to hear what others have to say about CM's 'most delectable restaurant'....you can never have too many options when it comes to food I say!

Mit Mai for Yunnanese

Well Thai food certainly wasn't one of the reasons for coming here :o

Mit Mai for Yunnanese

On the contrary. This post wasn't intended for one specific food genre that is "western food" just the opinions of those who have a particular place in mind where 'they' like to enjoy a fine meal; whether that be Western, Thai, Indian, or Vietnamese it doesn't matter; in fact, the more varied the suggestions the better.

You mentioned "Khao soi Islam." Now, I know of one place that does Khao soi called 'Just Khao Soi' which is behind the night bazaar in town but I don't know where Khao Soi Islam is, nor Mit Mai?

I was trying to find some more information on restaurant guides and found this youtube channel which contains a mixture of reviews and places to eat which also includes some day trips in and out of town.

http://www.youtube.com/user/openchiangmai2009#p/a

For a nice romantic location I go with my wife to the restaurant on the end of Suthep road, then 200 meters up, good parking, it is located on the side of a small reservoir.

The Thai food is ok, good although not the top but the location is very nice, wooded, rich flowered and no polution.

Then nearby, on the end of Suthep road you go to right, 200 m, just before Wat Fai Hin to the left and straight ahaed for about 500 m (winding and dark road in the evening), nice restaurant situated near a waterfall.

Same story but they have life music every evening I was there. Very popular by the Thai upperclass and some farang.

I don't know the names but it is not difficult to find and worth a visit.

Edited by Joop50
  • Like 1

khao soi behind the old saim t.v if you like your khao soi very creamy then thats the best place to go .

If you like it spicy then go on the super highway coming from huay kaew the first under past you go under turn left before it and it's on the left hand side lots of thais everyday there.

also pad see eel(rad na) in kwong sing road is good same as above turn on the super highway from huay kaew go past the khao soi place to the traffic lights and turn left going towards mae rim and it's just past where you turn left to jed yod on the left hand side.

Edited by rakchaingmai

Check out Thailand Tatler's Thailand's Best Restaurants - Chiang Mai chapter. Of course there is great food at all price points, but what Tatler chooses (well, I do for them once a year) are restaurants that offer the full deal: great wine list, good atmosphere, great service...just for those special occasions when you want to treat yourself. http://www.luxedining.com/thailand/restaurant_listing?restaurant_cuisine=Any&restaurant_district=Chiang+Mai&restaurant_price_rating=Any

Personally I also love Chez Marco, Cote Jardin, Farang Ses and a few more...

Am about to start compiling the list for 2011 if there are any suggestions would be most grateful.

For a nice romantic location I go with my wife to the restaurant on the end of Suthep road, then 200 meters up, good parking, it is located on the side of a small reservoir.

The Thai food is ok, good although not the top but the location is very nice, wooded, rich flowered and no polution.

Then nearby, on the end of Suthep road you go to right, 200 m, just before Wat Fai Hin to the left and straight ahaed for about 500 m (winding and dark road in the evening), nice restaurant situated near a waterfall.

Same story but they have life music every evening I was there. Very popular by the Thai upperclass and some farang.

I don't know the names but it is not difficult to find and worth a visit.

The first is Galae and the second Palad Tawan. Both good locations although the latter a tad pretentious. Galae is the ideal place to take visitors to of an evening; good locale, big menu, well priced, and non-touristy. The signature chicken dish is particularly tasty.

And absolutely nothing wrong with eating Western food here as some nitwit said. Many of us are lifers and like to have the familiar taste of stodge once in a while. Do you also insist on not having contact with Westerners and speaking the Thai tongue only for fear of not being Thaier than Thai? The Dukes is defo right up there for midrange, wholesome tukka.

Oh, and the best khao soi joint is in the old town, tucked away in an unassuming corner well away from the beaten path. It remains untainted and will be staying that way as I'll not be divulging. :whistling:

'And absolutely nothing wrong with eating Western food here as some nitwit said. Many of us are lifers and like to have the familiar taste of stodge once in a while. Do you also insist on not having contact with Westerners and speaking the Thai tongue only for fear of not being Thaier than Thai? '

I suspect I am the nitwit you are referring to - but you misunderstood my post. Of course there's nothing wrong with eating Western food - I do so all the time. My point was that, up to the time of my post, nobody had mentioned a single Thai, or indeed non-Western restaurant. As to your other strangely hostile comments, I do only speak Thai at home as my wife speaks no other language. But then I'm not a 'lifer' - just a miserable 25 years or so.

Four Seasons (Mae Rim) "The Rice Barn" . . . This restaurant, about 400 meters from the main kitchen, has a single table and accepts one party per evening. Advance reservations required but include a personal menu consultation with the executive chef. They will arrange special imported items/ingredients if necessary to make your meal special.

(credit cards accepted ... better yet, just hand over your chanote!)

Edited by NaiGreg

Since my first visit to Thailand, back in 1987, I've liked the Thai food better from the little back soi stalls/restaurants all around than from the hi-so 5-star hotel type.Seems to have more flavor coming from a black, crusty seasoned wok. I love Thai food, spicey and all, but when I get a craving for a good steak with baked potato and veggies then I visit Banrai Steak House next to the golf course adjacent to Airport Plaza. They also serve Thai food. Prices are good too.

Since my first visit to Thailand, back in 1987, I've liked the Thai food better from the little back soi stalls/restaurants all around than from the hi-so 5-star hotel type.Seems to have more flavor coming from a black, crusty seasoned wok. I love Thai food, spicey and all, but when I get a craving for a good steak with baked potato and veggies then I visit Banrai Steak House next to the golf course adjacent to Airport Plaza. They also serve Thai food. Prices are good too.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Wanlamun restaurant, Chiang Moi Rd. soi 2. For both quality of the food and price.

If you have not been there before, make the effort its worth it.

A tip:- when entering the air conditioned room the pastry counter is there on your left, make your choice on entering, tell the waitress to regard them as sold. I say this as other diners who have finished their meal have a habit of buying up several of the cakes, sometimes there are none left by the time it comes around to the sweet course of your meal.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Wanlamun restaurant, Chiang Moi Rd. soi 2. For both quality of the food and price.

If you have not been there before, make the effort its worth it.

A tip:- when entering the air conditioned room the pastry counter is there on your left, make your choice on entering, tell the waitress to regard them as sold. I say this as other diners who have finished their meal have a habit of buying up several of the cakes, sometimes there are none left by the time it comes around to the sweet course of your meal.

My favourites are (in no particular order)

The new Burmese place just down from Thapae Gate

Ginger House (superb service and a great choice on the menu)

Cote Jardin (knock's spots off the Crystal and it's a lot cheaper. I had the best steak in there that I've ever had a couple of days ago)

Khaoman KhaoFao - (probably spelt totally wrong but its the jungle restaurant situated between the Canal Road and the Hang Dong Road on the road that goes to the night safari)

My Kitchen: (I cook for friends once a year, it takes me three days to prepare the meal, but its delicious even though I say so myself!!!!!)

The salad restaurant near Airport Plaza (always fresh and lovely, like the staff)

Edited by bazmlb
overly negative defamatory comment removed
  • Like 1

i was lucky enough to eat recently at 'farang ses' at the manderin oriental, the food was sublime, a great foody experience,every course was well put together and flavours balanced beautifully,and deffo not pretentious. i think this has been so far the most memorable eating experience for me in chiang mai. :D

My favourites are (in no particular order)

The new Burmese place just down from Thapae Gate

Good you give us some more info and directions on this place, I've found most Burmese food I've eaten pretty awful but would be interested in giving it another chance if the food is good.

anonymouse.

re ... The new Burmese place just down from Thapae Gate

Good you give us some more info and directions on this place

i think hes talking about the swan bar / r r which is about three shops to the right of mikes burgers and burritos

its run by a young farang called nik and his wife or gf ?

enjoy .... dave2

ps .... ive never been in there and have no interest in it honest : )

post-42592-021168800 1285068592_thumb.jp

anonymouse.

re ... The new Burmese place just down from Thapae Gate

Good you give us some more info and directions on this place

i think hes talking about the swan bar / r r which is about three shops to the right of mikes burgers and burritos

its run by a young farang called nik and his wife or gf ?

enjoy .... dave2

ps .... ive never been in there and have no interest in it honest : )

Thanks Dave - any ideas what the menu is like?