Sound Proofing/Damping/Deadening In Bangkok

Chalky

I am interested in sound-proofing/etc, in priority order, the windows & french doors in our master bedroom, second bedroom and living room.

Traffic noise, especially emergency sirens, motorbikes and lorries is increasingly affecting my sleep and even pervades my (foam aviation) earplugs.

If at all possible, a self fitting film would be preferred however, with 9 more months on the current lease, I may be able to approach our very amenable landlord for shared costs of a more permanent solution (double glazing?).

Dimensions and photos available if required and please note that plants are not an option as these are not allowed by the Juristic offices and impossible for up to three of the windows.

On a final note, we would be interested in fitting fly-screens on up to three of the windows and being able to change the opening door for the French windows.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Chalky

Film over windows is used for heat insulation and will do little for noise. Secondary windows fitted inside the current windows is a good option and sealed double galzing is the best. But you need a decent air-gap (distance between the two sheets of glass) to be effective for sound proofing.

Sound absorbers in your room can also help (soft furnishing, curtains etc). Plant will do little good anyway.

Sound proofing really needs mass (two layers of heavy glass, solid concrete walls).

Hope this helps?

• Like 1

It perhaps would be a little cheaper to approach your land lord, explain the problem and request that you break the lease and lose your two months security deposit (assuming the lease is not too expensive).

You could be in for a hard time in LOS if you are that sensitive to noise when you are sleeping as there nearly always seems to be some sort of noise going down (24/7) everywhere except for out in the boondocks.

• Like 1

Traffic noise' date=' especially emergency sirens, motorbikes and lorries is increasingly affecting my sleep and even pervades my (foam aviation) earplugs.

[/quote']

You could be in for a hard time in LOS if you are that sensitive to noise when you are sleeping as there nearly always seems to be some sort of noise going down (24/7) everywhere except for out in the boondocks.

That's the price for staying next to the main road, and probably a so-called desirable location of being just next to the mass transit. Next you will be needing air purifiers...

You can hear a pin falls in my condo units after 9pm. One is 200m inside Sukhumvit Soi 24, with casement windows, and the other two units with normal sliding doors to a balcony located 600 m inside a soi near BTS Prakhanong.

Thus, not all condo units in LOS suffer noise pollution 24/7.

Film over windows is used for heat insulation and will do little for noise. Secondary windows fitted inside the current windows is a good option and sealed double galzing is the best. But you need a decent air-gap (distance between the two sheets of glass) to be effective for sound proofing.

Sound absorbers in your room can also help (soft furnishing, curtains etc). Plant will do little good anyway.

Sound proofing really needs mass (two layers of heavy glass, solid concrete walls).

Hope this helps?

Thanks FOTM, have tried researching reliable suppliers for the double/secondary glazing option with no success to date. Soft furnishings (apart from bed) are out due to allergies but thanks for info on plants. Regards.

How sensitive are you to sounds like, say, a small waterfall in the room, or some other form of white noise? Would they help cover the outdoor noise, or would they make problems with their own noise?

My condo is on the fifth floor facing inward to a garden/pool area. Mainly in high season, but sometimes other times, there are parties that last way past the stated deadline of 1000pm. I turn on the air con on the "fan" setting. It's just enough white noise to cover their party noise.

How sensitive are you to sounds like, say, a small waterfall in the room, or some other form of white noise? Would they help cover the outdoor noise, or would they make problems with their own noise?

My condo is on the fifth floor facing inward to a garden/pool area. Mainly in high season, but sometimes other times, there are parties that last way past the stated deadline of 1000pm. I turn on the air con on the "fan" setting. It's just enough white noise to cover their party noise.

Thanks wpcoe, nice idea about a small waterfall - I think I know where to buy same. The aircon fan mode is something we do (rather than a normal fan) when the traffic noise is particularly bad.