Immigration Screwed Up Reason For Extension Of Stay

Some 9 months ago, when I renewed my annual extension of stay, I chose to renew based on marriage to a Thai wife. I intentionally chose that method because my intention was to teach at University this year, and you cannot get a work permit on a retirement visa extension which is what I have had for many years.

Long story short: immigration officer initially correctly stamped my application for extension as under consideration for marriage purposes. Later, when I returned for the approved extension, the officer stamped canceled across that marriage extension and stamped a new permission to stay for one year, with the words written in Thai "for retirement." Fast forward to today, I have started a job that requires a work permit, and they will not issue it based on this "retirement" extension. And...no, neither I nor my wife ever bothered to look at the renewal, as I just assumed it was done correctly, as it had been many years to this point.

I will return to the immigration office which screwed this up next week, but I know they have changed staff and locations, so I am not optimistic. My right to remain is good until Dec. 1, but that is not the issue. The University employer can not pay me without the work permit due to uni regulations. So, I MUST fix this.

I know my choices are probably only two. Either get the immigration office to correct this mistake, or I will have to urgently go to Vientiane to get a non-b based on employment. i do not want to do that, as I want to remain on the marriage visa extension.

Any advice?

Thanks

You could leave the country thus ending your current extension.

Return with a Non Imm O Visa and apply for the Marriage Extension at Immigration again.

Making sure that your finances do not qualify for the Retirement Extension.

Immigration will usually go for Retirement as it means less work for them.

You could leave the country thus ending your current extension.

Return with a Non Imm O Visa and apply for the Marriage Extension at Immigration again.

Making sure that your finances do not qualify for the Retirement Extension.

Immigration will usually go for Retirement as it means less work for them.

Thanks, but actually I always get a multiple re-entry permit every year because I travel a lot, so leaving the country would not end my current extension. I think you are right that it was less work for them to do it this way, even though I repeatedly and explicitly told them in Thai that I wanted a marriage extension, not a retirement extension and why. TIT

How would I extinguish the current extension given that I have the multiple re-entry permit?

Oh, and that is an interesting technique about showing them only enough to grant the marriage extension, thereby forcing them not to renew based on retirement. I can do this if I only show the employment contract as it is below 65k. But, I do not yet have a history of payments from them, but could show the contract with the Uni. Would that alone be enough to prove the income?

Edited by keemapoot

First try to explain to immigration, they can adjust the stamp. If they can't/won't do that, ask them to cancel your permission to stay and issue a new permission of stay based on teaching.

Having a nice letter from the University might help, especially if it is from a major university. Most universities will have liaisons with immigration for their personnel and students.

If all fails, you will have to get a new visa from abroad.

Apply for the WP first with the help of the university, labor will issue you a WP3 form instead of the WP. You will need it for immigration, or if needed to apply for a new visa from abroad.

I thought I would give an update to how this situation was resolved for anybody who might suffer the same mistake by immigration in the future.

I visited immigration, and yes, even though the officer admitted a mistake was made by them, after issuing the multiple re-entry permit, that it was then essentially a fait accompli, meaning there was no way to undo this.

So, she kindly suggested that we cancel the retirement extension, and that we re-do a new one year marriage extension, which we did today. In my case, this was not so bad because I was nearly 10 months into the extension anyway, and would be facing renewing things soon. But, this obviously would inconvenience many people who plan to have the money in the bank a few months in advance etc...

Lesson learned? Always look at the ultimate result stamped in your passport, and if you don't read Thai, make sure someone does....

I thought I would give an update to how this situation was resolved for anybody who might suffer the same mistake by immigration in the future.

I visited immigration, and yes, even though the officer admitted a mistake was made by them, after issuing the multiple re-entry permit, that it was then essentially a fait accompli, meaning there was no way to undo this.

So, she kindly suggested that we cancel the retirement extension, and that we re-do a new one year marriage extension, which we did today. In my case, this was not so bad because I was nearly 10 months into the extension anyway, and would be facing renewing things soon. But, this obviously would inconvenience many people who plan to have the money in the bank a few months in advance etc...

Lesson learned? Always look at the ultimate result stamped in your passport, and if you don't read Thai, make sure someone does....

Well, good, glad things worked out and this does illustrate that sometimes (most times?) Immigration can and will be cooperative.

BTW, what Immigration office did your transactions take place at? Chang Wattana?

Mac