Thai Activists Accuse Their Elders Of Siding With Powers-That-Be

webfact

Activists accuse their elders of siding with powers-that-be

By Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Some academics and middle-ranking figures at non-governmental organisations (NGOs) charged yesterday that a number of senior figures at NGOs have become tools in extending the life of "right-wing conservative elites".

They said such elites continued to rule over the country by supporting the September 2006 coup and then by joining the government-initiated national reform committees after the deaths of 91 people in April and May this year.

"They attached themselves to the [national reform and other committees]. It's a big problem," said Kingkorn Narintarakul, a mid-career NGO worker working on the issue of local economic and agricultural rights. "They are extending the life span of the old power system."

Kwanrawee Wang-udom, formerly with the Thai Chapter of Amnesty International, said NGO circles were dominated by paternalism, favouritism and lack of internal scrutiny. She said some senior human rights activists released statements that in effect gave the Abhisit Vejjajiva government "a licence to kill" red shirts earlier this year.

"They avoid [discussing structural problems] by personalising it," said Kwanrawee, speaking at Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Political Science in a symposium that reviewed the direction of what they called the Thai social movement. The event was organised by a group of NGOs called Thai Social Movement Watch.

Pruek Thaotawil, a lecturer at Ubon Ratchathani University and a former NGO worker said many NGOs leaders were partly responsible for creating the current crisis and tended to "de-politicise" developmental problems. They supported the 19 September 2001 military coup and later supported the use of force against red shirts earlier this year, Pruek said. "They themselves have become an obstacle to change within rural society," said Pruek. He added that rural society was no longer naive or separated from the rest of the world, as these NGOs seem to think.

"They also think that those who died [in April and May] are simply people who support dirty politics."

Sharing similar ethos is Atchara Rakyutitham, a former NGO worker and now an academic at Silpakorn University. Atchara said these NGO leaders were creating new problems and "turning citizens into docile subjects of the ruling elites while reducing political conflicts into mere technical issues".

Somyos Prueksakasemsuk - editor of Red Power, which was shut down by the government last week and a former labour activist - accused those joining the government's appointed committees of "buying time for the old elites and strengthening the power of the bureaucracy."

Kengkij Kitirianglarp, a lecture in political science at Kasetsart University, said Thai social movements have for three decades failed to analyse the state's structure and the nature of the ruling elite in a critical and systematic way, leading to ad hoc knee-jerk responses to one problem after another.

Veteran NGO leader Banthorn On-dam, also a speaker, is a senior NGO leaders who joined the national reform committee led by former premier Anand Panyarachun, who was appointed by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva. Banthorn said he acted in good faith and received only "a meagre" Bt2,000 per diem for every meeting he attended.

"Actually I was accused of serving the old elites even before [joining Anand's committee]. Reform committees exist in all administrations, not just Abhisit's. And I don't fully believe in everything Anand say. The per diem is Bt2,000 per meeting. If we try to talk with CRES (The Centre for Resolution of Emergency Situation) [to change] they would kick us out too though I wanted to do so," he said, adding that he's also not representing the Assembly of the Poor in the committee although he's an adviser to that group.

Upon hearing what Banthorn said, Kingkorn was not impressed and replied to Banthorn, saying: "If you joined the committee and can't do anything, might it be better for all [senior NGOs in the various committees] to pull out and take a breather? It's not too late, you know."

Another defender of the NGOs was Jon Ungparkon, former chairman of the NGO Coordinating Committee.

He said the NGO movement was still generally a force for good despite some of its shortcomings such as "double standards" among human rights activists when it comes to their treatment of yellow versus red shirts. "They should pay attention to lese majeste law and the Computer Crime Law, and call for the lifting of the emergency decree. The standard among human rights groups is not equal."

However, Jon said neither red or yellow shirts could claim to be absolutely virtuous. "We all in this society should be ashamed that we are fighting among ourselves and failing to find a solution for society. We need to reform powerful institutions but we end up fighting among ourselves. I don't know when we will grow up."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-18

Another defender of the NGOs was Jon Ungparkon, former chairman of the NGO Coordinating Committee.

He said the NGO movement was still generally a force for good despite some of its shortcomings such as "double standards" among human rights activists when it comes to their treatment of yellow versus red shirts. "They should pay attention to lese majeste law and the Computer Crime Law, and call for the lifting of the emergency decree. The standard among human rights groups is not equal."

However, Jon said neither red or yellow shirts could claim to be absolutely virtuous. "We all in this society should be ashamed that we are fighting among ourselves and failing to find a solution for society. We need to reform powerful institutions but we end up fighting among ourselves. I don't know when we will grow up."

Seems he is the only one there talking any sense.

When I read "turning citizens into docile subjects of the ruling elites while reducing political conflicts into mere technical issues" I can't help but wonder if I should laugh or cry. 'Deja Vu', heard it before, mostly from Communists, very left leaning Labor. Never helped.

Truly ridiculous is the statement of k. Banthorn On-dam. 'A meagre THB 2000 for every meeting attended'. I can believe he's not representing the Assembly of the Poor.

K. Kwanrawee Wang-udom, formerly with the Thai Chapter of Amnesty International, said NGO circles were dominated by paternalism, favouritism and lack of internal scrutiny.

Spot on I think, but why continue with

She said some senior human rights activists released statements that in effect gave the Abhisit Vejjajiva government "a licence to kill" red shirts earlier this year.

It devalues the first statement.

Academics, not worse, not better than 'normal' people.