Vehicle Registration (Moving Province)

kitjohnson

Hi,

I'd be really grateful for some advice on this topic.

I have two motorbikes, both registered in my name and address, in Bangkok. I'm moving to Chiang Mai, and may want to sell them there at a later date. I do not want them to remain registered under a Bangkok address, because it will mean serious hassle getting the bikes back to Bangkok before the ownership can be transferred to a Chiang Mai buyer.

The possible snag is that I don't yet have an address in Chiang Mai where I wish to register the bikes. I will initially stay in a guest house until I find some decent accommodation. I want one of the bikes up with me to help in the search for accom.

Does anyone know what I need to do? Can I get the vehicles signed-off in Bangkok without a new owner/address? Shall I just give them a friend's address in Chiang Mai? Can I even transfer them from my own name to my own name, just changing address?

Thanks!

Kit

Nothing yet

When you do have a certificate of adress in CM, go to CM DLT and request move. First visit they check your docs, next visit one week later they inspect bikes, issue new plates and you give them old(remember tools), new plate number on front page of book, and new adress in book. Done

Nothing yet

When you do have a certificate of adress in CM, go to CM DLT and request move. First visit they check your docs, next visit one week later they inspect bikes, issue new plates and you give them old(remember tools), new plate number on front page of book, and new adress in book. Done

Thanks for your advice, and to Thunderbird.

That settles it. Easier than I thought it would be. Makes a change!

Friend of ours moved to a different province and got stopped daily by sharp eyed BIB.

Had to register change of address within a certain time frame, and yes got to keep his old plate.

:)

How is this possible...? You should not carry your green or blue book around in the vehichle for several reasons. The officer has no rights to have a look in this book or these documents. He should only care about wether the road tax is paid or not and can not order any name change or other changes to this vehicles registration book.

Friend of ours moved to a different province and got stopped daily by sharp eyed BIB.

Had to register change of address within a certain time frame, and yes got to keep his old plate.

How is this possible...? You should not carry your green or blue book around in the vehichle for several reasons. The officer has no rights to have a look in this book or these documents. He should only care about wether the road tax is paid or not and can not order any name change or other changes to this vehicles registration book.

Not correct. law states a copy of reg book MUST be in vehicle when used on public roads. Rental vehicles rental agreement is accepted to replace copy of reg book. Max fine to not provide copy of book is 1.000 baht as I recall

Law also states change of adress MUST be done in book. As most farang arent in any Tabien Baan, we usually get away with it.

• 7 months later...

Not correct. law states a copy of reg book MUST be in vehicle when used on public roads. Rental vehicles rental agreement is accepted to replace copy of reg book. Max fine to not provide copy of book is 1.000 baht as I recall

Law also states change of adress MUST be done in book. As most farang arent in any Tabien Baan, we usually get away with it.

Do I need to get a certificate of residence to change address within the same province?