Phuket Expats Urged To Complete On-Line Census

webfact

Phuket expats urged to complete on-line census

phuket-1-ZntDelX.jpg

The census-taking runs until September 30.

PHUKET: Foreigners living in Phuket can now take part in the 2010 National Census by completing an on-line data form available at the National Statistical Office (NSO) website: www.nso.go.th.

After several failed attempts using a Firefox browser, the Gazette contacted the NSO and was informed by its ICT Center that the data entry "works better" using Internet Explorer.

Participants must first register to complete the on-line forms, but can stop at any stage and return later to login and complete any incomplete fields.

Other options include downloading a form from the website and sending it in by post, or calling the census hotline at 1111 (ext 8).

When the Gazette tried to contact the hotline number this morning, however, operators there said to call back in the afternoon.

English-speaking operators are only on duty from 2pm until 10pm, they say.

This is the first time the National Census will try to tally the number of foreigners living in the country, including resident expatriates and migrant workers from neighboring states, especially Burma.

The official population of Phuket is currently about 330,000, but the actual population is thought to be closer to one million.

A senate panel that met in Phuket recently was told there could be as many as 200,000 Burmese living on the island, and 1.2 million in Thailand.

An accurate accounting of the island's true population could help Phuket get a larger share of government budgets, which are typically allotted based on population.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-09-18

I filled mine out yesterday online. But I saw the census ladies come around and talk to the landlady too, but they didn't talk with me... Some interesting questions! I had to say no to the two wheeled push cart and 4 wheel tractor though. ;-)

I filled mine out yesterday online. But I saw the census ladies come around and talk to the landlady too, but they didn't talk with me... Some interesting questions! I had to say no to the two wheeled push cart and 4 wheel tractor though. ;-)

Do hope the Burmese are not using Firefox - as I hear it's their favorite browser :P

Quote : A senate panel that met in Phuket recently was told there could be as many as 200,000 Burmese living on the island, and 1.2 million in Thailand.

Do hope the Burmese are not using Firefox - as I hear it's their favorite browser :P

Quote : A senate panel that met in Phuket recently was told there could be as many as 200,000 Burmese living on the island, and 1.2 million in Thailand.

I used Safari 4.1.2 Worked fine... They don't even have IE for Apple, haven't for years! I'm sure all the Burmese have Mac Pro Books too! biggrin.gif