Has Anyone Traveled By Car From Thailand To Da Nang Vietnam

rddryden

Next year we were planning on taking a trip to Da Nang Vietnam. We want to drive a car from Thailand, through Laos at Sawanakaet to Da Nang Vietnam. Has anyone out there ever done this? Or does anyone know how the roads are? And the biggest question is can a Fralong travel freely througn Laos and Vietnam?

Thanks for any info

I'm going to watch this thread!:) I've been considering doing the same trip next year, after my car is paid off & I have the Tabian Rot free & clear. I think Laos should be pretty easy, you just need to get a Temporary Import Permit (Which I think you can get at the border) and Laos Insurance. However, I"ve heard that entry for a private vehicle into Vietnam is pretty much impossible.

Nothing to add on the vehicle/licence issue. However, I did travel from the Vietnam coast up the mountains to the border and through Laos to Mukdahan just over 2 yrs ago. The section from the coast to the border is quite scenic with some forest and good coastal views in parts> the road is windy but in good condition (unless recent torrential rains have washed sections away).

From the Viet border through Laos the road is generally ok but there are many potholes one has to keep an eye out for. In a few areas the road has eroded significantly due to poor construction and slow speeds are required. In general terms though the conditions are fine for most vehicles. Not a lot to see or visit on that section. Savan is a nice and relaxed Laos town.

Someone may have travelled the same route more recently than me to give you more recent info.

i don't really understand you last sentence;

And the biggest question is can a Fralong travel freely througn Laos and Vietnam?
. Edited by Lakegeneve

Nothing to add on the vehicle/licence issue. However, I did travel from the Vietnam coast up the mountains to the border and through Laos to Mukdahan just over 2 yrs ago. The section from the coast to the border is quite scenic with some forest and good coastal views in parts> the road is windy but in good condition (unless recent torrential rains have washed sections away).

From the Viet border through Laos the road is generally ok but there are many potholes one has to keep an eye out for. In a few areas the road has eroded significantly due to poor construction and slow speeds are required. In general terms though the conditions are fine for most vehicles. Not a lot to see or visit on that section. Savan is a nice and relaxed Laos town.

Someone may have travelled the same route more recently than me to give you more recent info.

i don't really understand you last sentence;

And the biggest question is can a Fralong travel freely througn Laos and Vietnam?

Thanks for all of the responses so far!

What I meant was a foreigner from the Western part of the world travel freely through Laos and Vietnam in a personal vehicle and is it safe? A few years ago, Vietnam had restrictions on where foreigners could travel. Or you had to get permission before going to certain areas.

I am talking about driving a personal vehicle. Actually there would be myself and about 17 other Thai's traveling in three personal vehicles, if we can do it.

You need a Vietnamese driving license to drive in Viet Nam. So you would have to obtain that by travelling to Viet Nam first and then coming back to collect your vehicles.

I have also read, with no official verification or links, that right hand drive vehicles are not allowed in Viet Nam.

Edit: there's no problems with westerners travelling in Viet Nam.

Edited by PattayaParent

This is probably where you should be asking your question about driving in VN:

http://www.vietnam.alloexpat.com/vietnam_information/driving_license_vietnam.php

What I'm confused about is why are PattayaP and Got Lost talking about Cambodia??? It's not on the route any more than Burma is. Sounds like Got Lost is living up to his name.

• Like 1

^I didn't say anything about Cambodia in my post.

BUT if you look at a map of the local region you will see that Cambodia borders Viet Nam.

Edit: don't konw if the OP would need to got through there to get to Da Nang though.

Edit: http://thainews.prd....id=254912110054

Edit: I guess you don't need to go through Cambodia to get to Da Nang http://www.asia-planet.net/vietnam/information.htm

Laos : The main border crossing between Laos and Vietnam is Lao Bao connecting the Centre of Vietnam and Savannakhet Province of Laos. Transports by bus or taxi to this border are available in Da Nang, Dong Ha and Lao Bao and you will find the same to Savannakhet waiting for you on the Laos side. Otherwise, every day buses run between these nations via Lao Bao. You will need a Laos visa and a re-entry Vietnamese visa if you go back to Vietnam. Other border crossings are available such as: Tay Trang border crossing betwen Dien Bien Phu of Vietnam and Luang Pra Bang of Laos. Nam Can border crossing connecting Nghe An Province and Xiangkhoang Province. Cau Treo border crossing from Ha Tinh Province to Vientiane.

Edited by PattayaParent

Lao is no problem but Vietnam and Cambodia forget it.

We take vehicles into Cambodia all the time - you require a Cambo drivers license and you need permission to bring a vehicle in. We run goods vehicles and equipment and we normally get permission from Phnom Penh and it costs about 10,000 Baht at the border (non refundable as a bribe) with the Ministry;s letterhead. The license can be obtained at the border.

We take vehicles into Cambodia all the time - you require a Cambo drivers license and you need permission to bring a vehicle in. We run goods vehicles and equipment and we normally get permission from Phnom Penh and it costs about 10,000 Baht at the border (non refundable as a bribe) with the Ministry;s letterhead. The license can be obtained at the border.

So the question is... What is it worth to you to be able to drive your own car into Cambodia for a one time visit. A special trip to PP or a substantial bribe.?:whistling:

Edited by gotlost

^I didn't say anything about Cambodia in my post.

BUT if you look at a map of the local region you will see that Cambodia borders Viet Nam.

Edit: don't konw if the OP would need to got through there to get to Da Nang though.

Edit: http://thainews.prd....id=254912110054

Edit: I guess you don't need to go through Cambodia to get to Da Nang http://www.asia-planet.net/vietnam/information.htm

Sorry. It was BWpattaya who got lost with Got Lost

here again misinformation.

I have taken my thai registered car many many many times to Cambodia and never any trouble, Once had it there 6 months. Has had lots of friends of mine. The car needs to be in ur name and u need the book. You do NOT need a cambodian Drivers license. The new credit card style thai DL is good in nThailand, Laos, Cambiodia, Vietnam, Malyasia and Singapore. Although in Cambodia I just paid 20,000 reil fines and NEVER let them hold my license.

IN Cambodia and Laos all the paper work can be done at the border. At Ko Kong they make u pay 100 baht a day for each day your going to stay in Cambodia ( i tell them 3 days average) but if u arrivce at Paulin they dont charge you.

Laos you get 2 weeks.

Vietnam u will need to arrange with a Vietnamese Travel agency to assit u. Last year biker friends of mine rode form Bangkok to Snooky-PP-Saigon on their harleys plus 2 pick ups that were there for support.

They had applied aboiut 4 months in advance for permission from the Vietnam embassy with help from a Fixer who met them in PP and rode with them to Saigon

Edited by phuketrichard

^ you were the guy that previsouly posteed that teh new Thai license says n the back that it is valid for Viet Nam.

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__3391123

Can you point out where it says that?

Maybe scan your license that says that and post it as my wife's new license makes no mention of it at all.

Edited by PattayaParent