Good Knifes

scorpio1945

I think we will be making a shopping run to the BIG town in the next week or so. I'll see what they have at Central. If they have something that looks good, I'll call you and see if you want me to get them at whatever price they have. If I buy them and you're not happy with them, I'll keep them and use them. Haven't seen good ones here in CR.

good knives are not cheap anywhere in the world but the prices here are really over the top. I have German knives that probably cost over 60k for the whole set. I didnt buy them at the same time. in the UK they would have been closer to 20k Baht.

Central does sell them in Bangkok, thats where I have got most of mine from.

Before I get in trouble, let me say that the German and Japanese knifies are quality instruments. I have used them in other peoples homes. I am just not willing to pay the price for the small improvement they provide when experience tells me that a slightly lesser quality knife, well maintained, will be just as satisfactory. B)

Also looking for a bread knife. I am guessing that the cheap SS variety will be OK for that use but I have not seen any anywhere in in CR.

Edited by scorpio1945

Before I get in trouble, let me say that the German and Japanese knifies are quality instruments. I have used them in other peoples homes. I am just not willing to pay the price for the small improvement they provide when experience tells me that a slightly lesser quality knife, well maintained, will be just as satisfactory. B)

Also looking for a bread knife. I am guessing that the cheap SS variety will be OK for that use but I have not seen any anywhere in in CR.

if thats the case, buy the Thai made ones. I get them for my staff and they last a couple of years being used and abused daily. its soft steel so they are easy to sharpen, they go blunt quick though!

a couple of hundred baht each in any Thai hardware store.

There's a knife and kitchen utensil shop in the Rimping Airport at Chiang Mai complex, I bought a cheap bread knife there.

I cook for myself and just sharpen my knives as I go. I had a large set of Trident knives back in the day but they now live with an ex wife who rarely bothers to cook.

There's a knife and kitchen utensil shop in the Rimping Airport at Chiang Mai complex, I bought a cheap bread knife there.

I cook for myself and just sharpen my knives as I go. I had a large set of Trident knives back in the day but they now live with an ex wife who rarely bothers to cook.

lol...yes I have about ten high quality knives and Japanese chopper things..bought in Singapore/Canada....and what does the wife use?

Kiwi brand from the market 25 baht for small ones...sharpens them by stroking on side of stone morter ..well anyway the bowl bit of morter and pessle which is which???lol

Got my kitchen knives from Tokyu Dept Store (4th Flr.) at Mahboonkrong (MBK) in Bangkok. Costs around 700 baht. They have many different kinds. Be careful though. Keep your knives far away from the maid who will treat your knife like an ordinary knife and break the brittle edge of your precious knives. GRRRR.

I bought mine at http://www.cutleryandmore.com/

Absolutely very good quality and affordable prices even incl. shipment.

I missed mine from The Netherlands.

Oh.. I bought With the bread knife.... Absolute excelent!

Any problem with import taxes? :ermm:

As far as I remember, I paid some but not excessive. Still was a good deal compared with Europe!

The best knife I ever had was made out of an old power hacksaw blade.

You could shave with it and it held it's edge for ever.

Good idea. Might scare the hel_l out of any guests though.bah.gif

That is interesting. It automatically edited my h__l above. Didn't know it would do that. A little extreme but cool nonetheless..

Edited by scorpio1945

I thought of that when I posted Jubby but, knowing how sensitive you are, I decided not to risk causing offence. :whistling:

Yeah, I thought I would say it for you Scea. I am enjoying your Humour recently so there's hope for all of us ;)

Back on Topic. My favourite Knife is a 5 dollar machette I bought from the UK. I use it everyday unfortunately.

my second favourite is a Lappish/swedish Hunting Knife. You can open a tin of baked beans, an OXO cube , cut firewood, and do minor operations with it.

Anyway, <deleted> has happened to the Forum the last two days, Starting to look like a Forum instead of a Social Network :)

I thought of that when I posted Jubby but, knowing how sensitive you are, I decided not to risk causing offence. :whistling:

Yeah, I thought I would say it for you Scea. I am enjoying your Humour recently so there's hope for all of us ;)

Back on Topic. My favourite Knife is a 5 dollar machette I bought from the UK. I use it everyday unfortunately.

my second favourite is a Lappish/swedish Hunting Knife. You can open a tin of baked beans, an OXO cube , cut firewood, and do minor operations with it.

Anyway, <deleted> has happened to the Forum the last two days, Starting to look like a Forum instead of a Social Network :)

Ssshhhhh, don't mention the OXO cubes, you'll need that hunting knife to keep the guy away who's going through oxo cold turkey.

Isn't the internet great though, as if by magic an ad for knives has appeared at the bottom of the page.

Ssshhhhh, don't mention the OXO cubes, you'll need that hunting knife to keep the guy away who's going through oxo cold turkey.

Isn't the internet great though, as if by magic an ad for knives has appeared at the bottom of the page.

Yeah. 'Stainless Steel' Knives at that .

I always have something saying. 'Ladies waiting to chat with me' on the bottom of my Page. dont know what thats all about :)

• 2 weeks later...

Checked Central in CM tonight. They have only stainless steel and ceramic.

Nice to see you're down enjoying the delights of Chiang Mai. I have to admit after living there with my wife five years, the shopping was convenient and mostly good. Did you happen to see the brand of the ceramic knives? B)

Checked Central in CM tonight. They have only stainless steel and ceramic.

Nice to see you're down enjoying the delights of Chiang Mai. I have to admit after living there with my wife five years, the shopping was convenient and mostly good. Did you happen to see the brand of the ceramic knives? B)

The brand at Central is Kyocera.

I have done some more research and I find EVERYTHING now is listed as stainless steel. So it is high quality SS or lesser quality. The knifes I was looking for was high carbon steel which takes a bit of maintenance but always gave me great results. May no longer be sold.:ermm: If anyone ever comes upon a sharping steel that looks adequate, let me know.