Classic Car Ownership.

elistu

Can anyone help me with some information on classic car ownership.

I am looking at buying a new toy, possibly a classic car to customize (Merc lowrider). I would like to know if there is the Thai equivelent of an MOT here (roadworthy certificate) and how often is it required?

I know that when you buy any second hand car it gets inspected when you change the name on the blue book, does this ever happen again or could the car then be taxed each year and driven around without ever needing another inspection (at least all the time I own it)? Has anyone owned a classic here for 5 years or longer and kept it taxed without it ever being looked at again, or what did the inspection involve if this is required?

The reason I ask is because I plan to change a few bits that may cause grief upon inspection, nothing dangerous but I am sure that any slight modification in a Farangs car would cause any officials wallet to start twitching should they spot it.

Any information on owning a classic car in Thailand would be greatly appreciated.

Every vehicle beyond a certain age - 5 years I believe - must be inspected annually, and the inspection report from an authorized garage must be submitted when you renew your annual road tax / registration.

6 years for cars, inspection can be done by authorized garage or DLT

transfer ownership, inspection must be done by DLT

Every vehicle beyond a certain age - 5 years I believe - must be inspected annually, and the inspection report from an authorized garage must be submitted when you renew your annual road tax / registration.

That's right. The official inspection stations can be identified by the blue spanner (wrench) on a circular yellow background.

I've had my classic for 11 years now and always take it to the same people.

They are keen to check that the engine and chassis numbers are the same as in the blue book (tabien rot). If you do change an engine, go straight to the Land Transport office to register the change BEFORE they or the testing station see it's been changed.

They SHOULD also be keen to check that the exhaust is not emitting too much crxp. In fact, this has been done only once in my case. Last time they said words to the effect of: "We know this one, it's smart and obviously ok."

As you are planning changes to the standard spec (as I am to the project now in my car port), be aware that, as and when the vehicle is sold and thus LT inspected in the future, your mods MUST be road legal. Since you don't want this to delay or lose a sale, ensure that all changes can be reinstated for the inspection, even if they are put back the next day. This especially applies to exhausts.

Give 'em the vehicle they expect to see from the paperwork and all should be well.

And as TIT, good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, very helpful information.

Do not worry about it.

You only need to go to the MOT when you change the name on the book, and the car check is very painless. What is painful is waiting in the Que for the paper work!

Once the car is in your name it never needs to be inspected again, unless the police MAKE you go. (very rare)

There are places all over that will do the tax for you and they only need to 'check' the chassis number, they couldnt car less if you have a dead body in the boot.

Even getting the engine changed on the book can be done without going to the MOT... last time i was quoted 2000baht to sort the paper work out without having to take the car... This is Thailand... anything can be done for a price ;)

Guess the old " Hairy Cornflake " must have fallen on hard times.

( Apologies to non-British members who possibly won't have the foggiest what I'm running on about )