Is This Dangerous Surgery ?

dmax

my wife had tummy tuck in bkk around june 2010 its only 4 months on and she wants to get liposuction around her waist, two major operations inside 6 months ? i think its dangerous, she wants to go to pratunam clinic near silom. i need advice please asap as we are going to bangkok on wednesday 23rd sept and she wants it done asap, i am trying to talk her out of it.

is there a decent hospital in bkk i can go to and ask, one not too expensive but have fair prices ? her old surgery has healed , only scarring now but she,s a thai lady and i think generally they are surgery crazy more so than foreign girls , i just cannot talk her out of it. she had boobs done, the tummy tuck, then lipo now, what next tut tut !!blink.gif

First of all, it is not safe to have liposuction (or any other procedure involving general anesthesia) done in a clinic here, should go to a hospital.

Secondly, a "tummy tuck" normally includes fat removal, and it takes a good 6 months to see the full results as initial swelling will obscure it. So it is probably too soon to even assess if there is a need for lipo on the waist much less to perform it.

If in fact post "tummy tuck" there is still a cosmetic issue with her waist/abdomen area then I question the advice she was given/surgery performed.

Thirdly 4 months is indeed too soon to subject the same tissue to further trauma (and surgery is traumatic) for elective reasons.

Wait at least 2 - 4 more months then if she still has excessive fat around the middle consult not one but several a board certified plastic surgeons in reputable hospitals. Most do not charge for initial consultation so do not let cost be the issue at that point, go ahead and consult with best since the first issue is to get a clear handle on what actually is indicated to address her concerns. Sounds like you may have already wasted money on the "tummy tuck" and you don't want to waste more. There are more than possible surgical approach for body shape issues, and some in fact will not be improved by surgery at all, or will develop problems (sagging skin, for example, or increased "cellulite") that offset what is gained.

Look for consensus among the various doctors you consult. Once you are clear on what procedure will best give her what she is after (if any -- she may have unrealistic expectations), then you can do some comparison among hospitals and surgeons re price. But need to be aware that in cosmetic surgery you pretty well get what you pay for.

I don't know where you live but if you come into Bangkok from the east, I was favorably impressed by one of the surgeons at Sikarn Hospital in Bang Na (not far from airport), don't remember his name but they only have 2-3 there doing lipo. I brought a friend for a consultation and he was very candid and frank and seemed to know what he was talking about, and their prices are as good as you'll find short in reputable hospitals. Also check the websites of places like Bumrungrad, Samitivej, BNH, Bangkok Hosp, Piyavate etc as, although generally at the high end price wise they sometimes offer promotional package prices.

As to how to talk her out of this --- unless she is independently wealthy, I think you already know how.

Lastly but not least, when women seek cosmetic surgery after cosmetic surgery it is often an indication of an underlying emotional issue (or else an attempt to improve on previously botched procedures which in turn are usually the result of trying to get work done on the cheap). Is she feeling insecure regarding her marriage? Any self-esteem issues? Feeling guilty for any reason? These types of issues can drive a person to seek to alter their physical appearance even when to an objective outside observer they look fine. (Won't work though, and they will soon be back for more surgery since they still suffer those feelings). The urgency with which your wife wants this done so soon after a surgery with similiar purpose raises flags in my mind in this regard.

If any of this applies in her case , a short course of counseling with a good Thai therapist might cost less and achieve more in the long run than another surgery....and without any of the risks. The pinned notice in this forum on mental health includes a place which has well trained Thai counselors.

Could not agree more with Sheryl's post above.

Normally, liposuction would be performed first and then excessive tissue removed surgically but not within that time period. Liposuction after surgery in the same area is hampered by the fibrosis that is associated with the healing process and is at its peak around 4-6mths.

Liposuction, if an option at the time, would best be postponed for 12 - 18mths..

First of all, it is not safe to have liposuction (or any other procedure involving general anesthesia) done in a clinic here, should go to a hospital.

Secondly, a "tummy tuck" normally includes fat removal, and it takes a good 6 months to see the full results as initial swelling will obscure it. So it is probably too soon to even assess if there is a need for lipo on the waist much less to perform it.

If in fact post "tummy tuck" there is still a cosmetic issue with her waist/abdomen area then I question the advice she was given/surgery performed.

Thirdly 4 months is indeed too soon to subject the same tissue to further trauma (and surgery is traumatic) for elective reasons.

Wait at least 2 - 4 more months then if she still has excessive fat around the middle consult not one but several a board certified plastic surgeons in reputable hospitals. Most do not charge for initial consultation so do not let cost be the issue at that point, go ahead and consult with best since the first issue is to get a clear handle on what actually is indicated to address her concerns. Sounds like you may have already wasted money on the "tummy tuck" and you don't want to waste more. There are more than possible surgical approach for body shape issues, and some in fact will not be improved by surgery at all, or will develop problems (sagging skin, for example, or increased "cellulite") that offset what is gained.

Look for consensus among the various doctors you consult. Once you are clear on what procedure will best give her what she is after (if any -- she may have unrealistic expectations), then you can do some comparison among hospitals and surgeons re price. But need to be aware that in cosmetic surgery you pretty well get what you pay for.

I don't know where you live but if you come into Bangkok from the east, I was favorably impressed by one of the surgeons at Sikarn Hospital in Bang Na (not far from airport), don't remember his name but they only have 2-3 there doing lipo. I brought a friend for a consultation and he was very candid and frank and seemed to know what he was talking about, and their prices are as good as you'll find short in reputable hospitals. Also check the websites of places like Bumrungrad, Samitivej, BNH, Bangkok Hosp, Piyavate etc as, although generally at the high end price wise they sometimes offer promotional package prices.

As to how to talk her out of this --- unless she is independently wealthy, I think you already know how.

Lastly but not least, when women seek cosmetic surgery after cosmetic surgery it is often an indication of an underlying emotional issue (or else an attempt to improve on previously botched procedures which in turn are usually the result of trying to get work done on the cheap). Is she feeling insecure regarding her marriage? Any self-esteem issues? Feeling guilty for any reason? These types of issues can drive a person to seek to alter their physical appearance even when to an objective outside observer they look fine. (Won't work though, and they will soon be back for more surgery since they still suffer those feelings). The urgency with which your wife wants this done so soon after a surgery with similiar purpose raises flags in my mind in this regard.

If any of this applies in her case , a short course of counseling with a good Thai therapist might cost less and achieve more in the long run than another surgery....and without any of the risks. The pinned notice in this forum on mental health includes a place which has well trained Thai counselors.

thanks sheryl ,

very good info there, the tummy tuck was performed at end of may only 4 months ago, the swelling has seemed to go down and obviously the scar is still highly visible and red, she does not want lipo on the front of her stomach where the tummy tuck was done, rather round the sides and beck ,flanks i think the doctors call them. she could be suffering low self esteem i agree with you, the sex in our marriage has went down hill since our baby was born nearly two years ago. she is an ex bar girl from isaan so no talking to her about therapists or counselling .rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif i do try to talk to her about things like that seem to be troubling her but she doesnt like to " think too much " her head gets sore and she turns and walks away annoyed.gif anyway we are going back in febuary so i will take her this time to get some decent advice from a doctor then if she can wait we will take her to have it done in feb-march when the tummy tuck will be well healed.

thanks