Hanging Suicide Of Irish National At Pattaya Guesthouse

Rimmer

Hanging Suicide of Irish National at Pattaya Guesthouse

PATTAYA: -- An Irish national has been found dead in his Pattaya guesthouse room on Sunday, the man died after hanging himself from a television-shelf bracket installed on the wall of the room, according to police.

Pattaya, the 19th of September 2010 [PDN]: At approximately 7:30pm on Sunday, Lieutenant Colonel Wallop Kangtharathip (Pattaya Police Investigator) was notified of a suspected foreign suicide at the Drink & Duck Guesthouse in Soi Buakhao, Central Pattaya. A team of police and rescue services were dispatched to the incident.

Full story HERE

PATTAYA DAILY NEWS

2010-09-20

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Editor’s note: Yet another suspicious case of foreign suicide in Pattaya is under-investigated by authorities. In the high-resolution (unedited) photographs and video, we see the deceased’s feet clearly touching the floor, which is unusual (he would have been able to stand). In addition, the usual telltale signs of a hanging were not evident on the deceased’s face.

“Police speculate that the deceased committed suicide over financial hardships”, 9-days debt from a room at a guesthouse in Soi Buakao would equate to under Bt10,000, assuming he was not running from further issues.

even the editor is suspicious of this ' apparant suicide '

Editor's note: we see the deceased's feet clearly touching the floor, which is unusual (he would have been able to stand). In addition, the usual telltale signs of a hanging were not evident on the deceased's face.

even the editor is suspicious of this ' apparant suicide '

The editors first point above isnt that unusual. I have been to numerous suicide hangings where the deceased person has been able to touch the floor with his feet. I've seen people hung off the back of door handles.

Secondly, out of all the hangings Ive been to, the look on the deceased face can vary a fair amount. Alot of people think that asphyxia is the main course of the death & sometimes it is, however the cause of the death can often relate to the heart stopping & this often occurs when pressure is placed on the carotid arteries, which are the arteries responsible for taking blood up to the brain. These arteries, like all arteries are sensitive to pressure and can cause the heart to slow down and stop. It can cause a heart attack.

I post-mortem will soon establish what the course of the death was and it would be a pity to see a whole heap of conspiracy theories come into play just because an editor did or didnt see something in a series of photographs.

RIP.

• Like 1

also i noted they didnt exaclty ' carfully ' bring the body down, but appeard to drop him on his front

You are very critical. Perhaps his weight took them by surprise, its not an easy task to support a body in this state, I know, ive dropped a couple. In the event he was bruised in this process the trained eye will be able to determine if the marks occassioned occurred pre or post mortem.

• Like 1

I'm a little confused on this story

If he is, as the story says an Irish national then why will the British Embassy will be informed about this case.

THere is no Irish Embassy here in Thailand. The British Embassy takes care of these sort of things for the Irish.

also i noted they didnt exaclty ' carfully ' bring the body down, but appeard to drop him on his front

You are very critical. Perhaps his weight took them by surprise, its not an easy task to support a body in this state, I know, ive dropped a couple. In the event he was bruised in this process the trained eye will be able to determine if the marks occassioned occurred pre or post mortem.

was you a Paramedic?

I think that this is a genuine suicide and that there is no foul play.

A girl hanged herself in my apartment block and half her body was touching the ground, depending on the person unconsciousness can develop quickly.

Also, the opportunist use of close-at-hand materials (eg. TV wall bracket and bed linen) is typical of a depression related impulse suicide.

Condolences to friends and family.

Edited by syd barrett
  • Like 1

was you a Paramedic?

No I was not a Paramedic.

Hi Onnut,

You are correct that there is not an Irish Embassy in Thailand but there is an Irish Consulate, so I just presumed that the consulate would handle this matter.

Regards,

Tiger.

hey, you are right, yeah thats true, I forgot about that, its on Sathorn somewhere. and he does handle stuff like this.

was you a Paramedic?

No I was not a Paramedic.

A Nurse? :D

I am a bit slow in uploading my news today, but I just want to confirm that the man IS NOT Irish. He is a British National from Hampshire, England ( I have seen his passport). He was not standing up and was only on his toes and no weight was placed on his feet, therefore he was "hanging". Bad reporting by PDN I am afraid. My version of the story will be posted soon on the Pattaya One website.

• Like 1

I am a bit slow in uploading my news today, but I just want to confirm that the man IS NOT Irish. He is a British National from Hampshire, England ( I have seen his passport). He was not standing up and was only on his toes and no weight was placed on his feet, therefore he was "hanging". Bad reporting by PDN I am afraid. My version of the story will be posted soon on the Pattaya One website.

Very good Howard, thankyou. Perhaps that will silence those conspiracy theories.

• Like 1

English National commits suicide in Central Pattaya hotel room

UPDATE

PATTAYA: -- An English national was found dead inside a hotel room on Sunday Night. Police Lieutenant Colonel Wullop from Pattaya Police Station was called to the Drunken Duck Bar in Soi LK Metro, Central Pattaya and directed to room number 7 above the bar. Inside was the body of Mr. Paul Louis George Verrieres aged 49 from Hampshire, England. He had apparently hung himself from a TV Wall Mount, using a pillow case cover. The body was discovered by staff at the Bar who wanted to discuss payment of his room. The door to the room was not locked. Inaccurate reports from other local media outlets suggest that Mr. Verrieres was standing up and they therefore suggest the death is suspicious. Accounts from the hotel staff and a closer inspection of the pictures confirm that the victim’s toes were touching the floor and there was no weight being put on the feet. Mr. Verrieres was known to have been suffering from financial problems and had an outstanding debt with another bar on the street. The British Embassy in Bangkok is aware of the case and are now in the process of contacting the family of the victim.

Story HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2010-09-20

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Thank you for the update howard ...

Rip to the guy

And fair-play to Pattaya One for covering this tragic event with some restrained reporting and without the horrendous photos from the scene. I can only imagine how friends and family may react to the earlier report in PDN - absolute f**king disgrace and all involved should be ashamed of themselves.

Perhaps the new P1 newspaper will be an improvement on the current Pattaya papers.

Londo

Condolences to family and friends.

It never ceases to amaze thou how many farangs commit suicide in Pattaya.

I can understand that alcohol and ethanol in particular is linked to depression and thus can trigger suicidal tendancies.

Still the frequency of these incidences in Pattaya seem out of all proportion to any other tourist destination i can think of.

Following complaints from many quarters the picture of the hanged victim has been removed from the PDN website.

Many speculators suggest that the hanging was staged because of an upturned plastic chair (which with their logic was not needed). But the chair was needed: To affix and secure the noose to the TV bracket and for the final insertion of the head into the noose.

The television wall bracket was affixed to the wall quite high up.

RIP Mister Verrieres.