Things You Like About Living In Thailand

midasthailand

There are so many negative threads running at the moment I thought I would try to balance the ledger and start a positive thread. I live in Thailand (Bangna) and have been here this time for three years. I came here primarily because I like the Thai people, their food, the weather and the huge variety of nightlife.

Apart from the above, what do others that live here like about Thailand?

I like the fact that a 40 minute taxi ride only costs 140 Baht (a similar ride in Australia would cost $60

I like the fact that if I am hungry at 4 AM I can always get something to eat.

I like the fact that I feel safe no matter what time of night or what area I am in (impossible in Sydney).

Just a few of my likes in Thailand jap.gif

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the cost of housing here.

I love the kids I teach and their friendly nature and willingness to try.

I love that I hardly ever get mail here or visitors

I love that the tile floors are warm on my feet 10 months of the year when get up in the morning without under floor heating elements.

I love that the kids her (like many adults here) are more childlike and creative in how they handle class projects.

I love that road tax is cheap

I love that even when I can't find something from home that I miss, usually a trip to BKK will resolve the matter, and I can take the bus! something I would never dream of doing in England.

This topic never fails. But its one I like.

Picking fruit from my trees.

Gettin on the scooter and goin for a drive around the neighbouring villages.The food. The people. The sunshine. Pickin the wife up from uni(no explanation needed). Buying meat at the local market.

How simple does that sound!!!

So refreshing to see a positive thread about Thailand in the general forum instead of the usual b0ll0cks slagging off Thailand and its people (especially the women!). There was a similar thread recently in the Chiang Rai forum, some of the answers are specific to CR but alot aren't and could describe many places in Thailand.

• Like 1

I love the Skytrain. I like that it's clean, air conditioned, that you never have to wait long for it, and that you get some amazing views on the journey- futuristic Bladerunner style buildings next to ancient temples and so on.

And I love the Robot Building. Especially as I can see it from the swimming pool. Every time I look at it I get this childish buzz that only comes from the feeling that giant robots are running amok in the city.

post-78695-004076500 1284969085_thumb.jp

My girl #1 I guess I got lucky- not to many Thai girls will bust their ass right along side of her man B) . I am with Longstebe on this one being able to go out & eat my own fruits and veggies along with all the weird Thai vegetables out around the house. Food is dirt cheap. And where else can you build a $400,000 house for $55,000 certainly not in the U.S. or Europe or Australia for that matter.

I like the idea that you can bribe a policeman, and if you ARE a policeman there's not much you can't get away with. A simple offence in North America for just about anything will cost the equivalent of 4 to 6 thousand baht. A similar offence in Thailand costs 2 to 4 hundred baht. You can get into a Thai National park for 200 baht. I can't even park my car in a Canadian park for that price. I like the Thai system where the only traffic rule is there are no rules... park anywhere, stop anywhere, drive in the wrong direction, speed as fast as you want, and not be responsible if anything nasty happens. It's just like the wild west where the only rule was to survive. B):whistling:

I like the idea that you can bribe a policeman, and if you ARE a policeman there's not much you can't get away with. A simple offence in North America for just about anything will cost the equivalent of 4 to 6 thousand baht. A similar offence in Thailand costs 2 to 4 hundred baht. You can get into a Thai National park for 200 baht. I can't even park my car in a Canadian park for that price. I like the Thai system where the only traffic rule is there are no rules... park anywhere, stop anywhere, drive in the wrong direction, speed as fast as you want, and not be responsible if anything nasty happens. It's just like the wild west where the only rule was to survive. B):whistling:

Ian, you bad boy.:D

....everything grows so quickly!! ( that is if I plant something it either grows into a ten foot tree in a year or becomes a brown "stick" in a day...lol)

.borrowing a line from Death at a Funeral..............."everything is soooo green"....

Nice Thread!!!!

every time I see a thread with the general premise " why are Thais or Thailand so... insert negative here ... and not more like as.........imply positive about as here, it it gets my ire up. to put things mildly

I can bore you with a long list of all the things that I love about Thailand,

but more importantly what I love about Thailand is the way I feel when I am here.

It is difficult to describe, but I am sure you all know what I mean,

A general feeling of well being and calmness that if I could bottle and sell in the west I would make a million.

I am never so happy as when I am in Thailand.

I like seeing how the government treats its citizens...for the most part.

They do not tax them into oblivion...Their health care while not the best is better than many so called 1st world countries.

I like that it is basically still a form of monarchy with all the history that goes with it.

I like that they keep Thailand for the most part shut. I know many here call it xenophobic but I do not see it that way at all.

If it were any other way the Thai people would be priced right out of their farm lands. I have seen it first hand in other places.

I like the can-do attitude of most Thais. How they will make the best of what they have.No matter how little that may be. Also how they will repair or renovate things the rest of the world would have long ago thrown away.

I could go on & on..... But yes those are a few of the things I like best even if they do not apply directly to me. They do apply to Krawp-kruua Pom

• Like 2

My love affair with Thailand has ended. Mostly due to visa hassles and the weak USD/strong THB. This year, I can apply for O extension or OA. I detest the reporting requirement as I love to travel.

If it were not for my gf, I'd be gone as Thailand has become such a poor value, many items are as expensive here as in US, even more so.

Still:

Transport via bus system and roads are quite good, best value in Asia.

BTS/MRT are too expensive by Thai standard, but good compared to West

Dental/Medical still good value, rapidly declining. RAPIDLY.

National Parks despite lack of wildlife

I do love the fruit, almost always in season

I do love the cheap delicious food

Two reasons I am staying on until the THB hits <26 are:

My girlfriend

A few beauty spots in the Andaman (one with lovely coral) I won't give up easily*

When the coral goes at my favorite spot - I will leave Thailand and not come back.

Edited by bangkokburning

Boy, do I feel like an idiot! Bum gun is so obvious now, don't know why i didn't recognise it for what it is. rolleyes.gif

I visited the other thread about Chiang Rai and was struck by what a close knit bunch you seem to be up there, having never been there I now have a burning desire to visit after reading the thread, thanks for posting the link.

Boy, do I feel like an idiot! Bum gun is so obvious now, don't know why i didn't recognise it for what it is. rolleyes.gif

I visited the other thread about Chiang Rai and was struck by what a close knit bunch you seem to be up there, having never been there I now have a burning desire to visit after reading the thread, thanks for posting the link.

My pleasure, glad you enjoyed it. You should announce your visit in the CR forum, I'm sure you'd get a meet & greet.

This thread has brightened up my day! With so much negativity around it is uplifting to read all these positives. I'm with BKKJames, the wife and two beautiful kids +

the weather,

the lack of 'the nanny state' i.e. government controls on everything

the chaos and unpredictability

the generally very civil nature of people

the smells - from the really stinky klong near my place to the satay chicken stalls, incense at a shrine, the lingering perfume of an office girl as she passes in the street

the sounds....klok ...klok...klok of the somtam lady.......the jingle of the Walls ice cream man......even the din of the fruit and vegie man as he comes down the street : mee saporot, dang mo, appen, gluay, alooy alooy, sot sot mai pang krap...etc. etc.

have a nice day everyone