Things You Like About Living In Thailand

midasthailand

This thread has brightened up my day! With so much negativity around it is uplifting to read all these positives. I'm with BKKJames, the wife and two beautiful kids +

the weather,

the lack of 'the nanny state' i.e. government controls on everything

the chaos and unpredictability

the generally very civil nature of people

the smells - from the really stinky klong near my place to the satay chicken stalls, incense at a shrine, the lingering perfume of an office girl as she passes in the street

the sounds....klok ...klok...klok of the somtam lady.......the jingle of the Walls ice cream man......even the din of the fruit and vegie man as he comes down the street : mee saporot, dang mo, appen, gluay, alooy alooy, sot sot mai pang krap...etc. etc.

have a nice day everyone

And if I may add

Driving my m/c and it's always warm and sunny

The cheap price of housing and utils

The lack of taxes

The markets

The Thai beer bars

My young wife

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upcountry-

Riding my motorbike wearing only shorts and a shirt.

The sense of space and freedom on the farm,being able to design the house in any style, planting fruit trees on our farm that only cost a pound to buy.

Gazing at a night sky that's full of stars from horizon to horizon.

Morlam music, on important Buddhist days the Issan monks sometimes chant Buddhist stories with a khaen blowing in the background, it sounds magical across the fields at night.

Bangkok

The ubiquitous eye candy visible everywhere, namely slim girls in those lovely, even slimmer shorts. It sure beats looking at ugly concrete shophouses.

The main streets are unpleasant to walk down but 200 metres down a soi it's peaceful with trees and birds singing. With the local small family shops you could be in a village.

• Like 1

Great, positive, post Midas. Simple for me.........

1. Good weather

2. Good food

3. Thai massage

4. Spirituality

5. The wonderful people

6. The beautiful women

7. Good farrang mates wink.gif

8. The unpredictability (variety) of living here

9 Despite what people say, I think it is extremely cheap to live here and couldn't come anywhere close to this kind of lifestyle back home.

biggrin.gif

• Like 1

I went down to the village this morning on my motorbike about 6.30 to see my son off to school and though the sun was up it was cool and a super 6 km drive.

I stopped in the village and got 10 mini doughnuts for 10 baht and 4 Thais spoke to me to say hallo and I knew them all.

Sat at my Thai friends place drinking coffee and eating the doughnuts I could save from the kids. My son went off to school and I went back home for breakfast waving at the school kids and the policeman on the way

Ate that, washed up then cut up some pork to make a Panang curry, went upstairs to do a couple of small jobs and found I needed some bits from the village.

Sliced up 2kg of pork that I hopefully have turned into bacon and froze that then went to the village to get my bits and picked some stuff that was out of stock yesterday and was promised for this morning. It was there.

Came home and had lunch and now on Thai Visa.

Most days are like this in the village.

I have a good wife and a lovely son, good friends both Thai and farang, a nice house and land in my wife's name, pick up truck, motorbike and scooter.

Food in my belly, drink in the house and I am retired.

What is not to like in Thailand.

That blasted scrub that I have to keep cutting down every week on 2 rai.

• Like 1

The thread seems to be divided into two camps:

The guys that love their families and the comforts of home.

The new arrivals who are fond of the weather, sights, sounds and even smells.

I wonder when the epiphany hits, the smells, sights and sounds become familiar - what these folks will leaving them warm and fuzzy. BTW, all these things the sights, sounds and smells can be found in all the neighboring countries as well. Thailand is hardly unique in this regard if one would venture out.

Cheap maids and nannies

Yeah, I mean what a drag it would be to have to raise your own kids or clean up after yourself.

Things I don't like about Thailand - people who think like that. ^

On the offchance your comment was tongue-in-cheek I apologise, but having spent a bit of time on Thai Visa I am 95% positive it wasn't. Sad, very very sad.

• Like 1

Cheap maids and nannies

Yeah, I mean what a drag it would be to have to raise your own kids or clean up after yourself.

On the offchance your comment was tongue-in-cheek I apologise, but having spent a bit of time on Thai Visa I am 95% positive it wasn't. Sad, very very sad.

Not tongue in cheek at all. So, since you seem to be an authority, who do you suggest baby sits a child while both parents are working?

• Like 1

Cheap maids and nannies

Off topic. There's always one bell end to spoil it.

Hey Kurnell you can always take your kids to work with you:P .

The thread seems to be divided into two camps:

The guys that love their families and the comforts of home.

The new arrivals who are fond of the weather, sights, sounds and even smells.

I wonder when the epiphany hits, the smells, sights and sounds become familiar - what these folks will leaving them warm and fuzzy. BTW, all these things the sights, sounds and smells can be found in all the neighboring countries as well. Thailand is hardly unique in this regard if one would venture out.

ooooh.everyone cloud has a grey middle I guess

Cheap maids and nannies

Not tongue in cheek at all. So, since you seem to be an authority, who do you suggest baby sits a child while both parents are working?

Actually I was being a bit of a bell end there, I apologise. If you are both working it's a different matter, but I know plenty of people who just use nannies to raise their kids for them because they can't be arsed (hey, it's cheap!) and it really annoys me. I've heard two people acually bragging about how they never changed a single nappy of any of their kids. That's something to brag about? Pretty sad.

• Like 1

Cheap maids and nannies

Actually I was being a bit of a bell end there, I apologise. If you are both working it's a different matter, but I know plenty of people who just use nannies to raise their kids for them because they can't be arsed (hey, it's cheap!) and it really annoys me. I've heard two people acually bragging about how they never changed a single nappy of any of their kids. That's something to brag about? Pretty sad.

I don't change many nappies. I do though have a bad back from hauling the little beasts everywhere

I've had a half-smile of delight on my dial all through this topic, except for Kurnell's post. And one or two others who simply can't get with the programme. Please oh please Kurnell don't tell me that you are from Sydney. Mind you there are quite a number of 'determined-to-be-a-party-pooper' types in Sydney, so I shouldn't beirritated by you.

I'm coming to LOS shortly for a couple of weeks. It seems that it is indeed as I remember it. Yeehaa. I forget who the OP was, but you were born on 4.8.52. Bless you Sir.

Never changed a diaper but assume they are full of shit. Actually, not having to change one sounds pleasant to me but hey if shit is your thing, cheers.

Even after just entering my 16th year living and working here there's still a part of me that every day feels like I'm on holiday.

This is exactly it for me. I work hard for a demanding western company here, but everyday I feel like I am working while on holiday. Only here do I feel it is ok to get totally drunk on a Tuesday.