Things You Like About Living In Thailand

midasthailand

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the following:

The way in which the essential items such as power, gas, services such as rubbish collection, public transport etc are so incredibly cheap. This compares with the UK where luxury items are cheap but essential items are ridiculously expensive and usually dont work very well. For example compare daily rubbish collection in BKK at a cost which is virtually zero, with bi-weekly collection of 4 different recycling bins in the UK.

The lack of political correctness.

The way in which Thais just laugh in the face of adversity rather than getting all grumpy. I find this attitude infectious and all the better for it. I am not sure this state of mind is shared by many posters on TV though...

i love the Thai festivals, lots of cool things to see in the market stalls, usually pretty good music for free or less than 50 baht, cheap beer and food and all round great evening usually.

like to get in the car and go on little mini holidays to different parts of the country. always lots to see and do and less than 2000baht/day inc. everything.

i used to love the weather but its just getting too freekin hot for me these days, now i only like 5am to 10am

and the big one, love the wife, best decision of my life marrying her.

• Like 1

Hi there,

Abt 20 yrs ago, in-house mia noi told me she knows good money making opportunity, friends of her relatives in NK province – has to sell 24 rai of farmland urgently for 50,000 baht, yeah yeah, sounds to good to true – another farang scam???.

Told her tell my mia luang, if she accept your small talk – I'll take a look @ the land piece. What abt transportation?...no problem she [mia noi] have an old friend [ughh], who has 6 wheeler which she made a make-over to suit a farang. Truck arrives cargo space converted to a living room [sofa table lights stereo cases of beer etc], wt canvas roof, away I & wife & 6 other girls mia noi told me her female friends, okay okay, nice going...700 km later – couple of ST's & naps, arrived @ location, chk of land & papers, agreed I take it.

Took a hop to Land Department hut, but the boss was available [away they told my wife way], ok ok I said, give 2000 baht to the clerk and perhaps the boss will pop up suddenly – right ½ hr later he was there. Little paper work and the land transfer were completed. Fast fwd >>>>.....sold the land for 900,000 baht 3 yrs later !!!

Ughh – local grocery shop. When ask for a sold out item - they always says – no have...when ask for an item they never had in stock – they say...sold out.

Ordering plate of local prepared food, no fix price list, always the cook ask me, how many baht size of meal.

Wake up 3 AM [wt hangover] – calling mia luang, beer now – no have –but I'll take the motorcycle to 7-11 now & buy beers & ice for you now, pls wait a little.

All relatives always extremely helpful always, are thinking ahead for my comfort etc. And so on, much more>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>, will never return to the country I was born. Bye bye

I've enjoyed everywhere I've lived (so far) ... but here's my main 'likes' for Thailand after 2.5 years ...

Street life - that lively, ever changing buzz on Bangkok streets

People make eye contact in the street (unlike the 1000 yard stare you get in London)

Impressive thunderstorms (so unlike English drizzle)

The sunshine after a rain storm

The variety of activities in the parks (Takraw, mass aerobics, running, skateboards, Kung <deleted>, Tai Chi, sword dancing and bottle juggling all seen yesterday in one small park)

The food ... street or restaurant

I like the general friendly attitude of the Thai people. A typical example is the Thai neighbourhood where I live. A new row of those small business huts were built recently on the side road to my hotel. I was originally disappointed because they cut down a lovely orchard in doing so. But, that is called progress in Chiang Mai. Several of the huts were occupied quickly and one woman started a small business selling coffee and fruit drinks. As I am often walking by I stopped to say hello and have a drink... even though I'm not a big coffee drinker. Pretty soon I was one of the gang and always invited to share some food and have a beer with the connected family. I always brought a few beer for others to share as well. Now I'm just one of the gang and can hang out and just talk. Nobody is trying to sell me anything or con me into some scheme.