Thai Chillies No Longer From Thailand In Uk

roamer

Picked up a packet of "Thai" Chillies from Waitrose the other day to find they no longer come from Thailand but are now grown in India. Don't know when the change of supply took place but it must have been fairly recent as its a pretty frequent purchase and we would have noticed it sooner or later. Not aware of any growing shortage in LOS so I think its safe to assume that this is yet another victim of the ludicrous baht exchange rate, as I posted here a while back, another supermarket chain had stopped stocking Thai coconut milk as it was no longer competitive with other exporting countries. Not many more products more closely associated with Thailand than its chillies but not for much longer it seems. Madness.

post-7438-082638000 1284996186_thumb.jpg

Came across these chillies grown in Fiji lately.

post-114027-061968700 1285006427_thumb.j

By the way, a farmer who specializes in growing them says they can grow up to 18" long!

Sort of brings a tear to your eyes, doesn't it?

Is there any special preparation required to make those chilis kosher?

Came across these chillies grown in Fiji lately.

post-114027-061968700 1285006427_thumb.j

By the way, a farmer who specializes in growing them says they can grow up to 18" long!

Sort of brings a tear to your eyes, doesn't it?

Is there any special preparation required to make those chilis kosher?

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: Looks like they already been to see the Rabi....

oops hope your joking? This IS TV

Morrison UK,are now importing Chillies from Spain (3 times bigger and 3 times more for the same price),I guess its more cost effective,with the strength of the Baht.

Can still buy Thai Coconut Milk though,perhaps old stock.

One thing Thailand seems to have a monopoly on is Crab Sticks,which is a huge market,never seen them come from anywhere else,considering the Japanese invented them.

Mangoes are still available,small ones at £1 each (wince)

• 2 weeks later...

Morrison UK,are now importing Chillies from Spain (3 times bigger and 3 times more for the same price),I guess its more cost effective,with the strength of the Baht.

One thing Thailand seems to have a monopoly on is Crab Sticks,which is a huge market,never seen them come from anywhere else,considering the Japanese invented them.

Yesterday Sainsbury had "Blue Dragon" Coconut Milk, produce of Thailand at £1.95 per can!! Got the Sri Lankan brand at 75P instead....

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday Sainsbury had "Blue Dragon" Coconut Milk, produce of Thailand at £1.95 per can!! Got the Sri Lankan brand at 75P instead....