Google search has gone downhill

Google is rolling out a core update and it's not going well. I saw a hack last week ( can't find it again ) that indicated searching for results before 2023 often provide better results. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Is that a subtle advert? :smile:

No advert, it's just a free tip for you to have better search experience. Have you tried it?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, george said:

No advert, it's just a free tip for you to have better search experience. Have you tried it?

It might be a free tip but you said earlier that I would have to pay for the full service so as a Scot I have to declare I have not tried it!

:smile:

PS;  Do you have any discounts on offer?

2 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

It might be a free tip but you said earlier that I would have to pay for the full service so as a Scot I have to declare I have not tried it!

:smile:

PS;  Do you have any discounts on offer?

Good idea! Let me check if ASEAN NOW members can get a free trial or similar. I'll talk with Google Bangkok office.

Start with the free version, you will love it!

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2024 at 9:28 PM, george said:

Good idea! Let me check if ASEAN NOW members can get a free trial or similar. I'll talk with Google Bangkok office.

Start with the free version, you will love it!

The best things on Google never last.

As soon as some service becomes almost indispensable on Google, then Google will revise, modify or end the service.

This seems to be both policy and strategy, or stupidity.

Example:  Hangouts.

Example2: Google Voice with USA phone numbers now expire after 90 days of inactivity:

image.png.be4019ecd49d5476f54302e3b989233d.png

Example3: Google Podcasts  (Just ended this month)

And, many more examples.

Google must do whatever is best for Google.  Google does not exist to give us what we want or what we need.  Google seems to be nothing but an Amoral Beast that does not Do No Evil.

And, the best things in life are not free, obviously.

• Sad 1

Actually I have started using ChatGPT instead of Google if I look for answers,  it will not give you the latest news but you can ask for almost anything and it will come up with a reliable answer most of the times. 

• Confused 1

On 4/27/2024 at 10:02 PM, eisfeld said:

A relevant article with some background info why Google search declined heavily in recent years:

https://www.wheresyoured.at/the-men-who-killed-google/

Just from my user experience with Google Search, Google Search has increasingly become little more than a glorified Shopping Site, beginning about 5 years ago.

Much of what I used to be able to search, in past years, is no longer visible, no matter what search techniques are used.

A lot of the stuff, including photos, that might be of interest to those studying History is no longer seen.

In order to appreciate this gradual erosion and loss one must have been old enough to have used Google Search beginning back in the days when Google Search was new, and when Alta Vista as king.

Something to replace Google Search is now needed.

Google Search is broken at its core.

Also, it is impossible for a company such as Google, which relies so heavily on advertising, to provide unbiased and uncensored search to general users.

There is also the problem of copyright interfering with search. And, much of what is on the internet that was once searchable and viewable by anyone is now behind walls.

It's a very sad day and time for those few who are still curious about our world.

Soon AI will completely erase any ability to validate history, and to verify what happened, and what did not happen.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

Maybe time to get rid of...

The Star(s) of India?

(At Google and elsewhere)

How do we know the difference between a Good Star of India and a Bad Star of India?

Easy:

a.  Good Star (refer to linked photo)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_of_India_(gem)#/media/File:Star_of_India_Gem.JPG

b. Bad Stars of India (refer to linked photos)

1:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raghavan_(actor)#/media/File:RAGHAVAN.jpg

2:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundar_Pichai#/media/File:Sundar_Pichai_-_2023_(cropped).jpg

How important is CULTURE in our everyday lives?

Do we REALLY want guys from India running our world?

And, who runs Google, and companies like Google, runs the World.

Utter stupidity to have anyone who was born in, and is a cultural product of, India....running governments or super-corporations.

Wait and see.

Culture, and cultural roots, are even more important than blood, and blood-ties.

Kick them out of office.

And, kick them out of the higher echelons of corporation management.

And, beware the Chamaeleon Effect!

Mark My Words, Folks....

Edited by GammaGlobulin

18 minutes ago, QuantumQuandry said:

Pffffftttt! Been using gmail since beta and it's awesome.  Google voice, too.

Enjoying Google Search, these days, are you?

How is Google Podcast working for you?

What happened to your Google Voice landline connected with Google Voice?  Still working well, is it?

Pffffftttttttt!

To you, too!

Why not provide a bit of evidence to back up your claim, next time?

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Enjoying Google Search, these days, are you?

How is Google Podcast working for you?

What happened to your Google Voice landline connected with Google Voice?  Still working well, is it?

Landline?  What are you, 95?

Yeah, google voice works great.  I maintain a US number without being there.  For free.  Works great, thanks!

And gmail, too.

You pointing out that freakin' podcasts don't work...doesn't mean that their best stuff doesn't work anymore.

6 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Why not provide a bit of evidence to back up your claim, next time?

Evidence?  Wtf.  You need evidence that gmail works?  Go sign up for it, fool!

1 minute ago, QuantumQuandry said:

Yeah, google voice works great.  I maintain a US number without being there.  For free.  Works great, thanks!

Will you please inform us what happens when your US number, tied to Google Voice, has not been used for more than 90 days?

I had two Google Voice numbers in the US. Both were cancelled, about two years ago, when I did not notice a notification from Google warning that my US numbers would be "taken back" by Google.  After these numbers are "taken back" by Google, they cannot be recovered for use by the user.

Then, all the history and activity for each number, is not available or usable, either.

10 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Will you please inform us what happens when your US number, tied to Google Voice, has not been used for more than 90 days?

I haven't had a US number or been in America for 14 years or so.  Still have Google voice number and it's doing fine.  That's more than 90 days, right?  Try again 😄

8 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You seem a bit angry, this morning.

Anything I can help with?

It's the internet and tones can come across wrong.  To clarify, I am not angry, just incredulous out how silly your statement was.  But that's not 100% true.  I have read some of your other posts so I am not THAT shocked.  It was more of a "wow, did he just really say that? lol" kind of thing.

Edited by QuantumQuandry

49 minutes ago, QuantumQuandry said:

I have read some of your other posts so I am not THAT shocked. 

Sorry about that.

I will try to be less boring, and more shocking, in future.

You have not answered the question re Google Voice USA telephone number.

I did not ask you anything about when was the last time you were in America, or the US.

And, I do not understand why you say that you have not had a US number in 14 years, while you also say that you have a Google voice number.

Maybe you do not understand what a Google Voice (United States) number, one where you can choose a local telephone number, such as a telephone number local to any part of the USA, such as Florida, with a Florida area code, actually is.  So, THIS is what it is:

image.png.8a536707d65d616b7e5636f60b432514.png

image.png.81f9aa22d05ee1713c338b9da155664d.png

image.png.4c8a17d1a0759af7f7075c36072cb4f4.png

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115061?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop#:~:text=Google Voice gives you a,can choose your own number.

a. If you did not know before, then now you know.

b. If this US Telephone number is not used, or if there is no Google Voice activity in 90 days, then one is warned of possible "taking back" of the telephone number, by Google.

c. I just hope that you do not find this information too shocking.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

17 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

And, I do not understand why you say that you have not had a US number in 14 years, while you also say that you have a Google voice number.

Thought you were implying that I had to have another US number since you mentioned landlines earlier so I answered that question.

Anyway, I have had the google voice number for 14 years.  There are periods where I have not used it for many months and it hasn't been an issue.  I DO use the gmail account that it's tied to daily, though.

Either way, your point seems pretty ludicrous.

A. You skipped over the gmail part.

B. Your whole 'case' is that they may take back a really awesome offer if you don't actually use it.

Nah, not shocking.  Definitely boring now lol

16 minutes ago, QuantumQuandry said:

Nah, not shocking.  Definitely boring now lol

Well, you know, of course, what Zelda famously remarked:

"She refused to be bored chiefly because she wasn't boring."

So, let me paraphrase for you, a bit, because I believe that you may be the type who is intellectually incapable of understanding Zelda's famous observation:

What did Zelda mean?

She meant that it is the BORING people who worry most about being bored, and finally end up bored and boring.

And, as well, Zelda had real class...

She would never have used words like "Nah".

She was educated, and intelligent.

Of course, unfortunately for some, there comes a time when it is just too late to patch-up one's lack of education.

If one is not educated by age three or four, in things of importance, then it is probably just too late.

The ship has sailed.

"Nah," I hear you say...

But you cannot know what you do not know you do not know, by definition.

"Nah."

Edited by GammaGlobulin