Visa And Then Some....

Hey people! Your kind and prompt help would be most appreciated. I know some people get a bit bent out of shape when a common question is asked over and over again on this forum but I think, after doing a short bit of research that this is seemingly an obscure question. Anyway, it goes like this...

I have to go to Laos to get my 1 year, non-B visa. In the process I want to then go to do some traveling around SE Asia. Thus, after a brief hiatus in Vientiane to get the visa I will head east to Vietnam and then over to Cambodia before ultimately returning to Thailand with my visa in tow. Now, my employer suggests that this plan of action is quite unorthodox and may come with some issues when I finally return to Thailand. They insist that most folks get the visa and simply head directly back to Siam. So they have no idea what happens to the visa once you leave Laos and go, not to Thailand, but instead to a different country before ultimately coming back. Now, based on my simple reasoning, I would think that this would result in no particular issue/problem. But to be sure, I was hoping to get input from the good folks that observe this forum on the regular.

So, that being said, what issues, if any, can I expect with this course of action? If nobody knows for sure or if no one has ever done anything akin to it (I doubt it) then would people at least know what tree to bark up? That is to say, where i might find useful information on this matter?

Thanks for you help!!

CT

You most likely won't be getting a '1 year' non-imm visa in Laos. Just a single entry 90 day visa that can be extended in Thailand. It is valid until it is activated or expires(use-by-date). If you re-enter Thailand and then exit you will need a re-entry permit to not lose your visa if you leave. If you fly from Laos to Vietnam etc then there should be no issues at all other than entering Thailand before your visa's use-by date.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I am indeed getting a non-B in Laos but I don't think that will make much difference. What you said reassures me regardless. However, if there are still others that have some further input to put my mind at ease (of give me cause for concern) I would greatly appreciate it!

You most likely won't be getting a '1 year' non-imm visa in Laos. Just a single entry 90 day visa that can be extended in Thailand. It is valid until it is activated or expires(use-by-date). If you re-enter Thailand and then exit you will need a re-entry permit to not lose your visa if you leave. If you fly from Laos to Vietnam etc then there should be no issues at all other than entering Thailand before your visa's use-by date.

Non immigrant visas can be single entry for 90 days (most common in the immediate area) or multi entry valid for one year of 90 day entries. Requirements vary somewhat from Consulate to Consulate. Are you sure you will qualify for a one year visa in Vientiane?