Teen Hurt After Running Red In Phuket

webfact

Teen hurt after running red in Phuket

phuket-1-dfBhwdQ.jpg

Phuket Kusoldharm Foundation workers prepare to take

the traumatized teen to hospital for treatment.

RASSADA, PHUKET: -- A 16-year-old girl was seriously injured after she allegedly jumped a red light on her motorcycle and was hit by a car in Phuket yesterday.

Shortly before midnight, Phuket City Police Inspector Chaliao Thaihoo received a report of an accident at the Narisorn Intersection on Surin Road in tambon Rassada.

Capt Chaliao rushed to the scene with Kusoldharm Foundation rescue workers.

Lying in the middle of the intersection he found Suwipha Rueangmonthop lying on the ground crying loudly, her mother by her side.

Miss Suwipha's right leg was cut open to the bone, and her left arm and leg appeared to be broken.

Kusoldharm rescue workers performed first aid on her and rushed her to Vachira Phuket Hospital.

The middle of the intersection was covered in pieces of glass and vehicle parts. A bronze car with a smashed bumper was parked in the middle of the road, and a smashed motorcycle lay nearby.

Phuket resident Prasert Saelim, 41, was the driver of the car. He told Capt Chaliao that he pulled into the intersection on a green light to turn onto Surin Road when Miss Suwipha came flying through a red light in the opposite direction.

He smashed into the motorcycle, which sent Miss Suwipha flying. He called the police immediately.

Capt Chaliao said he had taken photographs of the scene and had asked Mr Prasert to give a statement.

He would question Miss Suwipha once she had recovered from her injuries to find out who was responsible for the accident, he said.

The minimum age to ride a motorbike in Thailand is 15, although it is not uncommon to see children as young as 10 operating motorcycles in the countryside and inside residential estates.

Miss Suwipha, who was riding without a helmet, was fortunate she did not suffer a head injury in the collision.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-09-21

I hope see recovers but she gets no sympathy from me.

i can only but 100% agree here, i see to many kids jumping red lights, not looking before pulling out, and try to drive at the speed of Light ( with no lights on ) , its just lucky it was not a westerner who hit her, otherwise they would be facing a hefty bill for something that wasnt there fault ..

I still remember the drunk teen that was on a scooter, around 4am (I was working late) and decided to go straight over a 6 lane street infront of several cars. The taxi I was in luckily saw him in the dark and the driver slammed on the breaks and luckily the taxi only gentle tapped the bike on the side of the front of the car...and the bike speed off.

But the taxi driver was left chocked and very distressed.

Or the many cases of kids after midnight on the big roads, racing each-other...

I still remember the drunk teen that was on a scooter, around 4am (I was working late) and decided to go straight over a 6 lane street infront of several cars. The taxi I was in luckily saw him in the dark and the driver slammed on the breaks and luckily the taxi only gentle tapped the bike on the side of the front of the car...and the bike speed off.

But the taxi driver was left chocked and very distressed.

Or the many cases of kids after midnight on the big roads, racing each-other...

there was a artcile in the uk papers today that they where to ban young drivers in the UK for driving at night

That would be a good idea. But doubt it would work in Thailand though.

First of all if they are too young to ride anyway why would they not break the law even more and ride at night.

The police, ha ha Police, that word always makes me laugh! They will not inforce it just like they don't inforce anything unless it means more tea money.

And of course this mai pen rai crap!

Nice thought for us drivers bit I don't think it would work over here.

I hope see recovers but she gets no sympathy from me.

Just take a moment to ask yourself why people drive like they do in Thailand. Police do very little to enforce rules. There are no driving lessons. Young people will drive like their elders who seem to have very little social responsibility, you can see this every day when parents allow kids on bikes with no helmets.

Had this girl had the benefit of a system like we do in the west I daresay she wouldn't be in the position she is in today. The system is inadequate here, and there are far too many victims like this.

Just take a moment to ask yourself why people drive like they do in Thailand. Police do very little to enforce rules. There are no driving lessons. Young people will drive like their elders who seem to have very little social responsibility, you can see this every day when parents allow kids on bikes with no helmets.

Had this girl had the benefit of a system like we do in the west I daresay she wouldn't be in the position she is in today. The system is inadequate here, and there are far too many victims like this.

rules?

By the police station, i see policemen walking by while some idiot parks his car on the red lines(no parking), the idiot is always going to a restaurant or business nearby, never a fellow policeman.

I'd think they'd enforce the rules just to make a quick buck, but there seem to be no rules about having to follow any kind of street code.

One thing I don't understand is that with all the money that could be made from enforcing traffic rules, why the police don't do it. They could use speed cameras and literally sit back and make money automatically. Where Im from in the states foot police in the city can simply write down the license plate numbers of offenders and they receive a ticket in the mail. Here, they could collect this way on annual registrations.