Makita Circular Saws - Where To Buy In Phuket?

JetsetBkk

Also a large hardware and tools shop called Bangkok hardware (was getting even larger when I left)of all things just off the main road that goes next to Tesco Lotus up on your left just past the fork in the road..

Is that the big tool shop between Lotus and Bangkok Phuket Hospital ? Fantastic range of power tools, but not cheap. They are the Bosche agent (plus others).

makita dont make a 12 inch circular saw

nearest size is 10 1/4 inch or the huge 16 5/16 inch.

I used the old 9 inch for years but i think is now obsolete.

Smaller 8 1/4 is ideal for most general work i find.

10 1/4 is heavy the 16 5/16 is VERY heavy,<about 11 kilos good for big beam cutting but overkill for most work

Also a large hardware and tools shop called Bangkok hardware (was getting even larger when I left)of all things just off the main road that goes next to Tesco Lotus up on your left just past the fork in the road..

Is that the big tool shop between Lotus and Bangkok Phuket Hospital ? Fantastic range of power tools, but not cheap. They are the Bosche agent (plus others).

Yes that sounds about right and the best local selection of hardware too. Not cheap because they've got little competition.

I just noticed though he mentions "lumberjacks" which generally use chain saws not circular saws like a carpenter so now it's questionable whether or not he was actually even seeking circular saws at all?? What say you OP?

I just remembered that there is another big hardware store in the same general area just off the bypass road and after Keehin electric but the name escapes me at the moment..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yes that sounds about right and the best local selection of hardware too. Not cheap because they've got little competition.

I just noticed though he mentions "lumberjacks" which generally use chain saws not circular saws like a carpenter so now it's questionable whether or not he was actually even seeking circular saws at all?? What say you OP?

I just remembered that there is another big hardware store in the same general area just off the bypass road and after Keehin electric but the name escapes me at the moment..

Hi - yes, I did mean circular saw, not chain saw. The lumberjack sketch was a bit inappropriate, but made me laugh!

The electric circular saws I found were about 7,100 for a 9" Hitachi (Home Works) but the Makita shop right at Khao Rang traffic lights in Mae Luan road have a 13" for about 12,000 baht. A bit pricey!

Have you tried the Makita agent ? Have branch in Patong on Soi Prybarmi bit further up the road and opposite the big mosque, and their branch in Phuket Town up past the main Mitsubishi agent, same side but up past the traffic lights.

OK, I'll try to find that shop. This Soi Prybarmi... do you mean Prabarami? Because that's a big road - the one that comes down the hill from Kathu with the sharp right bend at the bottom that goes along the north side of Patong, or if you go "straight on", you go into the town. Is that where you mean, near that bend with the mosque?

Edit:

The one "up past the main Mitsu agent" must be the one at the Khao Rang traffic lights that I talked about earlier. Thanks for that one too.

Edited by JetsetBkk

I'm working backwards through these suggestions!

So the one past Lotus towards Bangkok Phuket Hospital called Bangkok Hardware must be in the Sam Kong area.

Warpspeed says it's just past the fork in the road... is that the first fork at the first traffic lights after leaving Tesco heading east, or is it the second fork at the second traffic lights that goes off to Rajabhat Uni to the left and the Bangkok Phuket Hospital to the right?

Sorry about all the questions, but I'll be doing a tour tomorrow!

<snip>

Can you also elaborate on where this one is. I'm sure I've seen the Keehin sign, but can you give a rough distance from the Tesco traffic lights and which side of the road? Thanks a lot for your help.

<snip>

Can you also elaborate on where this one is. I'm sure I've seen the Keehin sign, but can you give a rough distance from the Tesco traffic lights and which side of the road? Thanks a lot for your help.

It is before Kee Hin on the same side. The one in Sam Khong (probably the best selection) is on the 2nd fork just before the lights which take you to Rajabaht or Bangkok Hospital. Monty Python still makes me laugh.

Hi - yes, I did mean circular saw, not chain saw. The lumberjack sketch was a bit inappropriate, but made me laugh!

The electric circular saws I found were about 7,100 for a 9" Hitachi (Home Works) but the Makita shop right at Khao Rang traffic lights in Mae Luan road have a 13" for about 12,000 baht. A bit pricey!

was just talking to a mate in the trade in UK

makita 5143r which is 14 inch or 355 mm ..good price about 400 quid..baht about 19000

makita 5103r which is 10 1/2 inch or 270 mm...good price about 270 quid..about 13000 baht

like i said originally makita do not make a 12 inch or a 13 inch circular saw, so am interested in what the thai shop is selling you as a 13 incher.

do you have any model numbers that can be checked on?

if you can ,in fact buy a 13 inch for 12000 baht, it would be a great buy going on above prices.

makita is a leader in circular saws as far as longivity, perfect ergonomics , especially on circ saw ,and reliability, so you do pay a premium price

their 'budget' line maktec is really great value for the average handyman type user and often near half to 2/3 price of makita

well worth a look.

i did five western style houses in isaan and bought all maktec tools, drop saw,jigsaw,router, 8 1/4 cicular saw,hammer drill etc at global house company in khonkaen,and used and abused them , figuring id get limited use and then trash them but not one problem at all and good to do another five homes easily.

good luck

Edited by mrvpliss

makita 5143r which is 14 inch or 355 mm ..good price about 400 quid..baht about 19000

makita 5103r which is 10 1/2 inch or 270 mm...good price about 270 quid..about 13000 baht

like i said originally makita do not make a 12 inch or a 13 inch circular saw, so am interested in what the thai shop is selling you as a 13 incher.

if you can ,in fact buy a 13 inch for 12000 baht, it would be a great buy going on above prices.

makita is a leader in circular saws as far as longivity, perfect ergonomics , especially on circ saw ,and reliability, so you do pay a premium price

their 'budget' line maktec is really great value for the average handyman type user and often near half to 2/3 price of makita

well worth a look.

i did five western style houses in isaan and bought all maktec tools, drop saw,jigsaw,router, 8 1/4 cicular saw,hammer drill etc at global house company in khonkaen,and used and abused them , figuring id get limited use and then trash them but not one problem at all and good to do another five homes easily.

good luck

OK, lots of info for you mrvpliss! I went to Tesco Lotus and then continued north and found Adisak Equipment Co., just a few hundred yards after the lights.

They had a Makita model 5103N which is 13 1/8 " or 335 mm. It takes 12" blades but not 14". Don't know why they call it 13 1/8" (?). That was on sale, no blade, for 12,900 baht.

Then went from Tesco to Sam Kong to find the store on Yaowarat Road about 100 metres before the traffic lights to Rajabhat (left) or Bangkok Phuket hospital (right). Found it on the left at the junction with Soi Phaniang, but didn't see the name of the store, just the large Captain sign. It has a small car park in the front which was handy.

They have lots of Bosch equipment (a Bosch agent as L-i-K said) in the air-conditioned front, and the Makita and Maktec stuff out in hot and humid non air-conditioned back! And no warranty (they said). They had the same model 5103N, no blade, for 13,999. They had an incredible range of stuff in there, a D-I-Y nut's wet-dream!

So off to Khao Rang traffic lights, parked up the hill a bit and went to the shop on the SE corner of the lights. They had the 5103N for 12,200, no blade, so as it was late and I couldn't be bothered to go to Patong (Sorry, L-in-K!) I bought that one. 6 months guarantee.

I'll decide on which blade to get later. The 12" range that fits it are from 1,820 to 3,450 baht, depending on the type which can be 30T (model A82068), 40T, 60T, 80T, 100T & 120T. I've no idea what they mean, except possibly thickness, no. of teeth, quality... any ideas?

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

gallery_35489_952_58361.jpg

gallery_35489_952_39723.jpg

Edited by JetsetBkk

I'm working backwards through these suggestions!

So the one past Lotus towards Bangkok Phuket Hospital called Bangkok Hardware must be in the Sam Kong area.

Warpspeed says it's just past the fork in the road... is that the first fork at the first traffic lights after leaving Tesco heading east, or is it the second fork at the second traffic lights that goes off to Rajabhat Uni to the left and the Bangkok Phuket Hospital to the right?

Sorry about all the questions, but I'll be doing a tour tomorrow!

No, it's between the second fork and the one you're thinking of. It's after Tesco but you probably don't notice it much because it has no lights and is counter to your direction, it is just before the next 'T' intersection you turn right on to go to Bangkok Phuket hospital.

Edit: Ok I see you it sounds like you found it. Yep they are by far the best source for hardware items in Phuket and a bit out of the way and even though they built a new building and added your neat little car park (when I was there there was no parking spaces and it was perilous to get into) you saying they still haven't added an signage? Go figure..

Exactly, number of teeth per ?? hence the 'T' designation..

Edited by WarpSpeed

No, it's between the second fork and the one you're thinking of. It's after Tesco but you probably don't notice it much because it has no lights and is counter to your direction, it is just before the next 'T' intersection you turn right on to go to Bangkok Phuket hospital.

Edit: Ok I see you it sounds like you found it. Yep they are by far the best source for hardware items in Phuket and a bit out of the way and even though they built a new building and added your neat little car park (when I was there there was no parking spaces and it was perilous to get into) you saying they still haven't added an signage? Go figure..

Exactly, number of teeth per ?? hence the 'T' designation..

Yes, I was amazed to find 3 empty places and, as it was well before 4 pm, the traffic was light and it was fairly easy to get into and reverse out from onto Yaowarat road.

Normally I go past there after 6pm so I never spotted the shop before as I'm usually looking out for cars coming out of the soi just before it, cars turning across me to get into the soi, bikes overtaking and undertaking, and cars trying to sneak up the inside to get to Rajabhat.

BTW, I just asked the g/f what the T was for, and she KNEW! :D

Apologies to any female wood-workers.

gallery_35489_975_15565.gif

very interesting info there, i stand corrected as my info was apparently only true to UK and USA, but the numbers are confusing to say the least

it appears that there are different models and sizes that are available in asia and N Z and not in the above..?? weird stuff ...obviously the N models are local market.

makita you show is 5103 N and is for sure 14 inch blade size, whereas the Makita 5143R Circular Saw 14 inch is the Uk number for the same saw size

Makita 5103R 270mm Circular Saw is 10 1/2 inch ??????

makita saws always had their number as blade dia for the saw so eg 5703=7 inch

5903=9 inch

5103=10 inch

5143= 14 inches and so on...which is where my info saying you can not buy 12 or 13 inch models comes from.

i hope you understand, because im having trouble..lol

something easy now ; teeth numbers

30 teeth for rough ripsawing type work thru to 120 for very smooth precise cutting

i think a mid range size would be better for all round work

not sure what you are going to use it for but a saw this size is far too big for general work..like using 18 wheeler truck for a pick up..lol

good for big timbers as in post and beam construction and sleepers for landscaping, but even then is too big

in 30 years home construction i used 9 inch only for occasional BIGGER timber cuts..very tiring to use constantly

all else i used the 7 or 8 incher..very light and precise to use all day. in this case BIG is not BETTER.

Edited by mrvpliss

very interesting info there, i stand corrected as my info was apparently only true to UK and USA, but the numbers are confusing to say the least

it appears that there are different models and sizes that are available in asia and N Z and not in the above..?? weird stuff ...obviously the N models are local market.

makita you show is 5103 N and is for sure 14 inch blade size, whereas the Makita 5143R Circular Saw 14 inch is the Uk number for the same saw size

Makita 5103R 270mm Circular Saw is 10 1/2 inch ??????

makita saws always had their number as blade dia for the saw so eg 5703=7 inch

5903=9 inch

5103=10 inch

5143= 14 inches and so on...which is where my info saying you can not buy 12 or 13 inch models comes from.

i hope you understand, because im having trouble..lol

something easy now ; teeth numbers

30 teeth for rough ripsawing type work thru to 120 for very smooth precise cutting

i think a mid range size would be better for all round work

not sure what you are going to use it for but a saw this size is far too big for general work..like using 18 wheeler truck for a pick up..lol

good for big timbers as in post and beam construction and sleepers for landscaping, but even then is too big

in 30 years home construction i used 9 inch only for occasional BIGGER timber cuts..very tiring to use constantly

all else i used the 7 or 8 incher..very light and precise to use all day. in this case BIG is not BETTER.

Looks like the useful idea of having the diameter as part of the model number never quite made it to Thailand! :D

Re. the teeth... I'll wait to see what the father-in-law wants before I buy - he's the one who'll be using it. I know what he'll be using it for, but I wouldn't want to say here as it might upset some of the 'greener' people here. :whistling:

It appears that these saws and blades are about 50% more expensive up near Lampang, so I may take orders for extra blades and do a little business during my visit. ;) Ker-ching!

Thanks again for all your help with this - much appreciated.

OK, lots of info for you mrvpliss! I went to Tesco Lotus and then continued north and found Adisak Equipment Co., just a few hundred yards after the lights.

They had a Makita model 5103N which is 13 1/8 " or 335 mm. It takes 12" blades but not 14". Don't know why they call it 13 1/8" (?). That was on sale, no blade, for 12,900 baht.

Yes Adisak was my other suggestion just after Keehin electric but couldn't remember the name..

Yes Adisak was my other suggestion just after Keehin electric but couldn't remember the name..

I thought it was! That sign is so big I nearly broke my neck trying to read it while walking at the same time. :D

well worth a look.

good luck

Interesting info regarding MAKTEC, as i bought a selection of their electric tools for handyman stuff and found them to be very good overall and for medium pricerange.

I thought that they were simply a no-name brand ,using a name close to MAKITA in an attempt to fool people into believeing they were a better brand.

As you say [ i googled it] maktec are indeed Makita's budget line and made in China under makita supervision.

Thanks for info :jap:

Interesting info regarding MAKTEC, as i bought a selection of their electric tools for handyman stuff and found them to be very good overall and for medium pricerange.

I thought that they were simply a no-name brand ,using a name close to MAKITA in an attempt to fool people into believeing they were a better brand.<snip>

Yes, sometimes the fakes are pretty obvious...

gallery_35489_952_92697.jpg