Attention Honda Jazz Owners

macahoom

I have just taken delivery of a new Honda Jazz.

In the owner's manual it states quite clearly: You should have received a key number tag with your keys. You will need this key number if you ever have to get a lost key replaced. (The keys and tag are pictured in the manual.)

I didn't receive a key number tag. When I questioned the Honda people (Phuket) about it they said, "There is no number tag and there is no number anywhere. If you ever lose a key, just bring us the other key and we will make you a new one."

I then asked: What happens if I lose all (2) my keys? (I know, unlikely – but possible.)

The answer: "We will have to replace the whole locking system (doors, ignition, steering lock.)" The mind boggles how much that would cost!

I don't believe this "no number/tag" story.

Can anyone shed any light?

If your car is financed some cheeky buggers keep the key code & tags so they can easily get a key and repossess if you default on the loan.. Of course that is not supposed to be common practice but TIT and likely they aren't going to tell you the truth. It's also a bit scary as what happens when you've paid it off or mostly down and they still have a key code with which they could releave of your Jazz at will and liquidate it if they have no morals.................

But of course that never happens in LOS :whistling: ..

If your car is financed some cheeky buggers keep the key code & tags so they can easily get a key and repossess if you default on the loan.. Of course that is not supposed to be common practice but TIT and likely they aren't going to tell you the truth. It's also a bit scary as what happens when you've paid it off or mostly down and they still have a key code with which they could releave of your Jazz at will and liquidate it if they have no morals.................

Good theory... but I bought with cash, so that wouldn't be a reason for them to keep the tag.

And anyway, surely, if they want your key number for possible future use, they can just keep a written record of it on file?

I'd really like to establish if someone has bought a new Jazz recently and got, or didn't get, the key number tag.

Edited by macahoom

Good theory... but I bought with cash, so that wouldn't be a reason for them to keep the tag.

And anyway, surely, if they want your key number for possible future use, they can just keep a written record of it on file?

I'd really like to establish if someone has bought a new Jazz recently and got, or didn't get, the key number tag.

No, actually they are not supposed to have any accessible records except by dealer computer, the key codes are supposed to be strictly accessible through manufacturer where key codes are concerned and any such access which requires that very key code. That's how my BMW was years ago and my later Passat too..

Having paid cash in full is a potential bonanza for an unscrupulous dealer and that is definitely a record they know about. Who knows? Could even be why you didn't get one in the first place the scam be in motion already. Don't forget nor discount the fact that not every employee of ANY business is beyond reproach either let alone here..

Given that, the dealer may not even know and I would insist otherwise in regards to getting one though having it in their possession now there was time to record, good luck, hope it works out for you..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yes new Hondas still come with a small metal key number plate, as do most cars in the world. If financed, financecompany notes the number in their file.

Number can be used to copy brass key only, remote/chips still has to be programmed at dealer to communicate with car

One should not take delivery of a new car without this number plate, I would not pay market price for a secondhand car without it.