Tourist Visa, Multiple Entry?

I'm going backpacking in and around Thailand for 2 months in October, so I'll need a tourist visa to enter. I don't want to limit my choices and will probably start in Thailand, Cambodia, Loas, Thailand again, Malaysia, Singapore, and end in Thailand.

However, I just got off the phone with the local Thai consulate in Belgium, and they said multiple-entry tourist visas are no longer available. They said with the tourist visa they are willing to provide I can stay for up to 59 days, leave during that time, and come back for an additional two weeks at most. I'll definitely want to visit Malaysia and Singapore, and can fit it in at the end of my trip, but I'd like to see Cambodia as well, somewhere in the middle of my trip. Is there no way to leave Thailand twice and come back?

Edited by DavidVerhasselt

A Tourist Visa would allow a one time, 60 day entry, and can be extended by 30 days, this permission to stay would be canceled upon exit, if you do not buy a re-entry permit. You would get a visa exempt entry of 15 days if entering by land, and a 30 day visa exempt entry if entering by air. If on a second entry you would like to stay more than the 15 or 30 days allowed, consider obtaining another Tourist Visa in Laos or Cambodia.

Edited by beechguy

A Tourist Visa would allow a one time, 60 day entry, and can be extended by 30 days, this permission to stay would be canceled upon exit, if you do not buy a re-entry permit. You would get a visa exempt entry of 15 days if entering by land, and a 30 day visa exempt entry if entering by air.

once you enter thailand your 59 day visa starts , if at any time you leave before the 59 days are up , you will lose them and also the visa with be null in void . and extra 30days can be obtained . I,m currently in thailand on a tourist visa . but i have a triple entry tourist visa. i can only leave 1 time ever 60days hence moving onto my 2nd 60days . Edited by leon1503

1. You can buy a re-entry permit (or more) to keep the original 60 day stay but cost is 1,000 baht each.

2. You can enter by land for 15 days or air 30 days visa exempt (but that costs more than backpack norm budget). 15 days would be an option however if you want to plan on that for schedule.

3. You can obtain a free tourist visa if you have several days in the other country capital city.

Thanks all! It's pretty clear now:

I should get a re-entry permit during my first stay, to be able to leave Thailand and come back. After my Tourist visa is voided by leaving for a second time, I can get a visa on arrival for 30 days (since I'm flying in from Singapore this time, and I carry a Belgian passport) provided I can proof I'm going home within that timeframe (using plane tickets).

Is that about right?

Thanks for the clarification lopburi3, I was thinking I misunderstood what they said. They mentioned they used to do that, but not anymore. That was at a consulate. At the embassy they're not answering their phone-calls so I can't check if I'd get a multiple-entry there either. I'm in Belgium, which isn't that different from the Netherlands, but apparently different enough.

Oh well, I will manage with a re-entry. Thanks everyone.

You can get a visa with triple entries, since I see you are staying in Thailand three times.

Your embassy provides that visa (just give them a call again), since mine in the Netherlands provides it to.

That is correct any Thai Consulate in Europe especially if it is your home country will give you at least a double entry visa. If you want three most issue also a tripple entry! I am travelling a lot - I had visas done in Austria, Iceland and in the UK - no problem at all I only asked for double entry but they also tols me if you want 3 entries - no problem! Maybe you just got the wrong person on the phone - you are a genuine tourist - why should they refuse you a double or tripple entry visa if you plan to travel in the area?

I thought this country wants tourists to come and visit? Maybe not anymore?