Thai Policeman Declines Promotion To Help Saudi Ties: Govt

webfact

Thai policeman declines promotion to help Saudi ties: govt

BANGKOK (AFP) - A senior Thai policeman charged with the murder of a Saudi businessman 20 years ago declined promotion to a top position on Wednesday in a bid to defuse tensions between the two countries.

The recent advancement of Lieutenant General Somkid Boonthanom to assistant national police chief deeply riled Saudi Arabia because of his indictment for the murder of Mohammad al-Ruwaily, who disappeared in 1990.

"His decision will make it easy to solve the problem between Thailand and Saudi Arabia," Thai deputy prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban told reporters after Somkid's announcement.

His refusal of the post is the latest twist in a bloody saga that has soured relations between Bangkok and Riyadh for two decades, sparked by the theft of gems from a Saudi prince's palace.

The case has been linked to the deaths of three Saudi diplomats and the wife and daughter of a jewellery dealer, as well as the death of businessman al-Ruwaily, whom Somkid and four fellow officers are accused of murdering.

In a statement released Sunday, the Saudi charge d'affaires in Bangkok, Nabil Ashri, said the move to promote someone charged with murder was "utterly incomprehensible".

He urged Thai authorities "to take the necessary measures to mend diplomatic ties with the kingdom of Saudi Arabia", noting that the case of al-Ruwaily "has dragged on long enough".

After Somkid's promotion, the Saudi embassy was accused of delaying the granting of visas to Thai Muslims wanting to make the annual hajj pilgrimage to Mecca, but it blamed technical problems for the hold-up, Thai media reported.

One of Thailand's biggest mysteries, the al-Ruwaily case stemmed from the jailing of a Thai janitor for stealing gems worth 20 million dollars in 1989 from the Saudi palace where he worked, before smuggling them back to Thailand.

Police recovered most of the jewellery but much of what was returned to the Saudi owner proved to be fake and many pieces are still missing.

As the Saudis pressed Thai authorities to find the rest of the hoard, the three Saudi diplomats were shot dead in two separate incidents in a single day in 1989.

Somkid, who at the time ran Bangkok's southern district, and the other four policemen are accused of abducting al-Ruwaily in 1990 because they thought he was connected with the deaths of the envoys.

The five suspects detained him in a hotel and tortured him before shooting him dead and disposing of his body, their indictment said.

Their hearing is due to start in November.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-09-22

This truly beggars (our Western) beliefs, but here possibly, an olive branch ?

I'm dizzy. lol

IMHO an olive branch would be the government withdrawing the promotion.

Having this Pol. Lt. Gen. Somkid Boonthanom say 'I do not accept this position' and 'I do not want this promotion to affect ties between Thailand and Saudi Arabia and don't want it to lead to religious conflict.' and denying being pressured, would make me even more angry. K. Suthep thanking the PLG Somkit for his "sacrifice" in deciding not to accept his promotion as assistant national police chief, is the top.

'Bloody hypocrite' comes to mind, only wondering who of the many involved to aim this at.

Edited by rubl

He is a great man indded. An innocent police officer being accused for a crime he did not commit. hence he has to make a great sacrifice on this career, for the better of this nation. If you admire such a hero, who would you rather admire? A criminal (sentence confirmed) like Thaksin?

• Like 2

I'm dizzy. lol

I wonder who really has the Blue diamond, the Saudi's aint gonna forget this one in a hurry, Thai's stand to gain if improvements in diplomatic relations do get better but the Saudi's want the case solved and want the blue diamond back, come on Thailand give it back, someone must know where it is..

I'm dizzy. lol

I wonder who really has the Blue diamond, the Saudi's aint gonna forget this one in a hurry, Thai's stand to gain if improvements in diplomatic relations do get better but the Saudi's want the case solved and want the blue diamond back, come on Thailand give it back, someone must know where it is..

As this blue diamond is so recognisable to experts, I guess it's either in a safe to stay there, or already broken up into different nice pieces which can be worn and displayed without problems.

Mind you, I have been known to be wrong sometimes, as recent as 1997 I think ;)

Edited by rubl

My understanding is the diamond is in a very restricted area in Bangkok. But it beggars belief that people think gems (and face) are worth more than the livelihoods of many thousands of Thais and multiple billions of baht in trade lost each year, and the international reputation of the country.

If everyone else knows, rest assured the Saudis also know where it is.

My understanding is the diamond is in a very restricted area in Bangkok. But it beggars belief that people think gems (and face) are worth more than the livelihoods of many thousands of Thais and multiple billions of baht in trade lost each year, and the international reputation of the country.

If everyone else knows, rest assured the Saudis also know where it is.

Interesting article from Time if anyone wants to read....

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1969920,00.html

Yes, he was most probably and positively pursuaded to not accept a promotion for all the reasons you allude to.... and given this compromise, maybe Saudi/Thai relations can be quietly aligned through diplomatic channels, and without all this embarassing on-going media stuff (?)....

In the interests of 'government', all kinds of despicable deals are done every day in our Country's name.

You have better ideas, you will have my vote !

He is a great man indded. An innocent police officer being accused for a crime he did not commit. hence he has to make a great sacrifice on this career, for the better of this nation. If you admire such a hero, who would you rather admire? A criminal (sentence confirmed) like Thaksin?

A criminal (not an innocent police officer) in denial with as much evidence as necessary to have him incarcerated or executed for his part in the crime gets elevated to a top position in public service? <deleted> - he was 'pardoned' and thus all is forgiven but thankfully the Saudi's refuse to accept the pardon and correctly so. Great man? angry.gif More like Thai sensibilities.

Edited by asiawatcher
  • Like 1

Why are you still allowed to post when it is blatantly obvious you just say whatever you can to troll and rile people up? Have you nothing better to do?

• Like 2

Why are you still allowed to post when it is blatantly obvious you just say whatever you can to troll and rile people up? Have you nothing better to do?

There's a fine art to parody and satire and Chantorn hasn't mastered it yet, time for the ignore feature methinks.

• Like 2

Do'h. :annoyed:

There's a fine art to parody and satire and Chantorn hasn't mastered it yet, time for the ignore feature methinks.

It's a rather intriguing prose or haiku. Try reading Chantorn's posts to the rhyme of 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star'. You'll see the light.

It's a rather intriguing prose or haiku. Try reading Chantorn's posts to the rhyme of 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star'. You'll see the light.

surely not an...........

The truth will never, ever come out.

At the time there was other 'suspects'.

A year earlier an Iranian terror group had actually claimed the killing of a Saudi diplomat in BK

not saying the BIB didn't do it, not saying they did.

not saying the Iranians did, not saying they didn't.

good movie plot??? the Iranians hired the BIB to kill them. 555

Page 85 http://books.google.ca/books?id=UIBzCC0c2McC&pg=PA86&lpg=PA86&dq=Iranian+agents+killed+Saudis+in+Thailand&source=bl&ots=AjWSjBNDHS&sig=qKPnxHgjq7Ybj1azam5TdN6xB9E&hl=en&ei=ujSaTJv8C5S-sQOftfCpAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBoQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldiers_of_the_Right

BTW search 'pictures of Saudi blue diamond'

THEN 'pictures of Hope Diamond' which has never been to Arabia or Thailand

It's hilariously shows how peopel will follow conjecture with the pictures of the 'alleged' Saudi blue actually pictures of the largest blue, which is safely at the SmithsoniaN. 555

THIS 'alleged' 50 c Saudi Blue would have been bigger than the 45c Hope so it's kind of curious not one official diamond history site or blue diamond website even mentions it.

Good on the Saudis for keeping it secret from the whole world they had the record breaking one, oh .. until after it was 'allegedly' stolen. that is

ONLY proof it even existed is pictures of the Hope and pictures of imitation Hopes, which sell for about, $300

and their are many plastic ones in Disney Princess dress up dolls. $10

actually a good thing for the world 2 corrupt nations are not friendly allies, good for all hundresd of thousands slaves they shipped anyway,

better to be a slave in own country methinks than arab kingdom

• Like 1

I'm dizzy. lol

IMHO an olive branch would be the government withdrawing the promotion.

Having this Pol. Lt. Gen. Somkid Boonthanom say 'I do not accept this position' and 'I do not want this promotion to affect ties between Thailand and Saudi Arabia and don't want it to lead to religious conflict.' and denying being pressured, would make me even more angry. K. Suthep thanking the PLG Somkit for his "sacrifice" in deciding not to accept his promotion as assistant national police chief, is the top.

'Bloody hypocrite' comes to mind, only wondering who of the many involved to aim this at.

I would have to agree. I think the Saudis will be incensed by this as it smacks of the Gen being made a hero for the Thai cause. They will no doubt be of the opinion that he was provided with some incentive to step down from his proposed new post, and that he will be adequately rewarded once this has all died down.

In my opinion, the Saudis would have preferred to see the Thai government withdraw the promotion; indeed, the Saudis will still be reeling at the fact that he was given the promotion in the first place. The damage has already been done, and Thailand (or indeed, anyone doing business or driving a vehicle around in Thailand) may still have to pay for it..!!

Edited by GeorgeO

The whole affair is indeed a stinking festering can of worms and the idea that the truth may emerge is about as logical as setting up a pork butchers shop at Mecca.

There is no doubt that high officials are involved and indeed trail of blood has been left behind from the slaughter of innocent victims in a crude silencing action. Possibly these high officials are from both sides of the fence.

Any member of the police force should be thrown out of the police for corrupt , violent or otherwise illegal acts, however sad to say here in Thailand a po(lice)man seems to be able to maim and murder steal and extort money without fear of any retribution.

Now we come to Saudi Arabia, hardly a model of honesty or democracy by any stretch of imagination, a nation that is religiously xenophobic and led by a family who outshine Thaksin in their antics. Perhaps if the Saudis started to put their own house in order there might be some progress in the matter of the Blue Diamond.

Pure conjecture.

But did the alleged thief steal the real thing, was it actually stolen, a precious stone of that value carelessly tossed to one side.

Was the actual thief the accused or was he but a pawn in a grand Machiavellian game of theft and intrigue ?

Minimal if any security, that situation in a country where the ruling family are indeed at risk from terrorist actions and indeed tribal and ongoing family feuds

The whole affair is worthy of a much deeper and open investigation to actually find the truth of the matter.

Methinks that an adjournment to the Temple of Delphi or possibly delving around in the entrails of a goat or a sheep to define the truth (sic) would indeed be a somewhat more practical solution as opposed to the enormous amount of hot air rhetoric that is emanating from all sides in this most peculiar matter.

Edited by siampolee

In a statement released Sunday, the Saudi charge d'affaires in Bangkok, Nabil Ashri, said the move to promote someone charged with murder was "utterly incomprehensible".

If I understand correctly, the Saudi's are pissed at the move to promote someone who is charged with murder. I believe the case in still pending, not sure. So to this point, whether he declines or accepts the promotion is a moot point. The are unhappy that he was considered for a promotion.

So, nothing would have changed with Somkid's move to decline the promotion. Thailand is still not coming out and saying that they were wrong in giving him the promotion in the first place. Which we all know will never happen.

Mr. Somkid is innocent until proven guilty by Thai court. Would anyone care to disagree?

Of course I'd disagree! Your statement assumes the Thai courts actually uphold justice!? When have you ever known the Thai courts to find the guilty actually guilty? All I read are constant stories of people getting away with murder thanks to the Thai courts. Even with eye witnesses people are not found guilty by Thai courts. Why on earth would anyone put faith in the Thai justice system knowing it doesnt work in the slightest?

I have a friend (lawyer) who refuses to become a judge because it means she will have to accept corruption money and let guilty people off or she endangers her own life for not following the wants of criminals.

Mr. Somkid is innocent until proven guilty by Thai court. Would anyone care to disagree?

Of course I'd disagree! Your statement assumes the Thai courts actually uphold justice!? When have you ever known the Thai courts to find the guilty actually guilty? All I read are constant stories of people getting away with murder thanks to the Thai courts. Even with eye witnesses people are not found guilty by Thai courts. Why on earth would anyone put faith in the Thai justice system knowing it doesnt work in the slightest?

I have a friend (lawyer) who refuses to become a judge because it means she will have to accept corruption money and let guilty people off or she endangers her own life for not following the wants of criminals.

16th September 2010: The Supreme Court found Democrat Party's Surat Thani MP Chumpol Kanchana guilty of falsely declaring his assets (guilty of failing to declare his Bt200 million worth of debts).

But than this was a politician, not a criminal ;)