Your Opinion Please

Will1

Not so unusual at all. I've met many nice Thai women like that. They are not young enough to compete with the pretty bar girls but they still want a nice partner and gentleman.. Many of these women have their own home and jobs, but they still want company with some man who will treat them well. It's no different than the men who are tired of the western system and don't want to play the bar pickup scene. .

In the old days there were MANY arranged marriages between single men who didn't have access to women, and women who wanted to be married. I believe companies were set up to send women to foreign countries as paid for brides. It was sight unseen, but many of the marriages lasted many years. Today, the internet dating services are doing that job..

I thought this was a joke. I''m too lazy to do the digging so I will take this at face value as a guy that had a quickie marriage. Let's review;

1. Chain smoker. (Who smokes in a hotel room. Even smokers avoid it since it stinks up the place.)

2. His speech was slurred. Either he's drunk, has had a mild stroke, has MS, or some other nervous system disorder. I'm going to go with he's a drinker since he looks the part.

3. He's on alot of medication. Let's play guess the meds; Heart disease, blood pressure, diabetes, and renal impairment.

If this makes him happy, leave him be. I reckon he will be dead within a few years of the marriage and the death will provoke speculation in TVF that he was murdered. Unfortunately, his lifestyle will have caught up with him.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

Here's hoping we don't see this guy posting frantically on TV's 'Wives with knives' section in future.

Their work is just beginning. Many such marriages have been known to work. Probably just as many have failed. The bride seems to have a realistic attitude while the bloke appears to be on cloud nine, not really thinking straight, with that cheesy candle thing going.

As the reporter asked: "For how long, and at what price?" Wish him luck though.

Edited by Thakkar

Well, what a nice time he must have had in BKK. He'll always have those fond memories. I tought a girl in my first year here who was betrothed to an English Chap of similar vintage to Lake Palmer. The girl was 26 and from Chakarat, an issan village. I met him for dinner when he came over for the wedding. I spent the dinner translating for him as he wanted to tell her stuff that was way beyond the basics of what we had covered in her lessons. It was not embarrassing as I was new to thailand and didn't know much about this side of it. Later at the wedding itself I was asked to be like a best man. Had a few duties and got to meet everyone.

The stage the wedding party was held on was better built than the shack this girl lived in with her family. The chap was dressed in blazer, shirt and striped (perhaps ex services) tie. His wife was in the full thai whited out get up. Everyone in the village came and got lashed on free booze. I suspect the party cost about 3 times as much as the home they lived in was worth.

He returned to blighty and like lake, waited for his teerak to join him. This one actually did go. She was confident she'd like life in Kent and was looking forward to meeting the other thai ladies who this chap's friends had married. One chap, a watch maker had put our man onto the idea.

I wonder how that all worked out. :huh:

Seemed like a nice chap, she was a "young" woman but pleasant enough. Maybe they could beat the odds.

an interesting read on what eventually happened to lake palmer and his thai bride jad

http://www.myspace.com/lakepalmer1

Good find, tigerfish. It doesn't really surprise me considering how different the couple were at the start. But, that doesn't mean that all May-November marriages won't work. I know several that work very well. But, it is like a Jew marrying a Muslim... you just KNOW there are going to be problems before too long.

Damm cold blooded. Though certainly not uncommon.

I'm just 35 so it's still a lil early to tell just yet however if I would have to guess I would say that, having a companion, a good friend that you have been with since you were a younger and who is around your age, is really where it's at 60+. So if you can marry young with someone who you really get along with and who is like minded, and tolerates your faults, then stick with em. IF NOT, get a woman your age or close to it, that you can at least be friends with and enjoy each other's company. DO NOT get married to her if it can be avoided. The occasional fling on the side if the sex isn't there is ok, because after awhile it probably doesn't mean as much anyway.

Problem is these guys marry women that they share nothing in common with, that if they were from their country they wouldn't look at em twice.

I think the guy is well smart lets look at the details

1.) She got Car already Great he wont lose money buying her a car

2.) She got house already Great he wont lose money buying her a house

Now she got house and car already (who knows how but it makes sense to marry a thai bird that has those things already as it reduces the chances of you having to buy them for her and then losing everything

The guys a smart cookie.

I do think she looks like she would probably be a nut case though and if i were him I would check her history to ensure there have been no Lanterns let loose with wedding tacking attached.

:jap:

• Like 1

an interesting read on what eventually happened to lake palmer and his thai bride jad

http://www.myspace.com/lakepalmer1

Good find, tigerfish. It doesn't really surprise me considering how different the couple were at the start. But, that doesn't mean that all May-November marriages won't work. I know several that work very well. But, it is like a Jew marrying a Muslim... you just KNOW there are going to be problems before too long.

LAKE'S STORY: "People will think I'm a silly old man but I was lonely" The 60-year-old admits he was taken for a fool by an Asian beauty he married only three days after they met. She strung him along for eight months before dumping him for another rich European man, leaving him £12,000 in debt.

Read more: http://www.myspace.com/lakepalmer1#ixzz10Kgrofcg

It would be interesting to hear the woman's side of the story. Maybe he was such a nerd that she couldn't stand him after 8 months. He certainly seemed to have a few problems in the first video. Showering gifts on a woman is no reason for her to stay with him. Conversely, I've had the opportunity to marry wealthy women and passed up the opportunity. It's basically the same thing. If you are not attracted to a person then staying with them would be torture.

It would be interesting to hear the woman's side of the story. Maybe he was such a nerd that she couldn't stand him after 8 months. He certainly seemed to have a few problems in the first video. Showering gifts on a woman is no reason for her to stay with him. Conversely, I've had the opportunity to marry wealthy women and passed up the opportunity. It's basically the same thing. If you are not attracted to a person then staying with them would be torture.

Did you miss the part she was allready still married.

this guys story is a least ten years old, as i seem to remember watching the the episode back in the u.k. when it was first broadcast. and the most recent info that i could find about him was that he was suffering from cancer back home in england, about 4 years back. whether he is still around, who knows !

there is also an old thread on tv about the guy that i discovered.

here

It's hard to believe she could put up with him for 8 months. His brain was obviously addled, and he appeared to be quite an a-hole. I think he was also British. A very unattractive mix.

I pay my TGF just to have to listen to me.

Quick edit to add that I hated Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

Edited by Shotime

It would be interesting to hear the woman's side of the story. Maybe he was such a nerd that she couldn't stand him after 8 months.

I must admit seeing some of the expats round my way if their wives are solely with them for the money then I hope it's a frigging lot for having to put up with them. :D

Did you miss the part she was allready still married.

Yes, I missed that part. I didn't watch any of the others. But, as a general discussion on what actually happens to people it is an interesting story.

It's hard to believe she could put up with him for 8 months. His brain was obviously addled, and he appeared to be quite an a-hole. I think he was also British. A very unattractive mix.

I pay my TGF just to have to listen to me.

Quick edit to add that I hated Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

I can believe you have to pay your missus to listen to you cause you spout some tripe.

Edited by FarangCravings

I've downloaded the entire works of Louis Theroux. Great stuff. He's so dry 99% of the time the people don't know he's taking the piss out of them.

Also, don't forget the rest of the Theroux family. Louis (who is British) is the son of Paul Theroux, perhaps the greatest American travel writer (also novelist) ever. Talent definitely runs in their family!

Paul Theroux wiki

He is also the father of British authors and documentary makers Louis Theroux and Marcel Theroux, and the brother of authors Alexander Theroux and Peter Theroux and uncle to American actor and screenwriter, Justin Theroux.