Noise, Crime

pbrane

Hi.

Can anyone give some general comments on general noise problems in Thailand? I realize that its a big country, but need to know if peace and quiet is possible. Can't stand barking dogs, loud mufflers etc. Does everyone have a "guard dog" to protect their home? Don't know if I could live like that (or next to someone who 's dog is barking constantly). OR maybe someone could recommend a peaceful little beach town etc...??

Thanks!

-m

Hi.

Can anyone give some general comments on general noise problems in Thailand? I realize that its a big country, but need to know if peace and quiet is possible. Can't stand barking dogs, loud mufflers etc.  Does everyone have a "guard dog" to protect their home? Don't know if I could live like that (or next to someone who 's dog is barking constantly). OR maybe someone could recommend a peaceful little beach town etc...??

Thanks!

-m

No noise problems here. Nobody's ever mentioned anything like that on this forum. The dogs are really sweet and playful, especially the poodles - very quiet. No building works of any consequence, no trucks with poorly maintained exhaust systems. Paradise.

Peaceful little beach towns? I should give Pattaya, Patong or Chaweng a try. Really quaint.

Nice nick by the way. :o

Thanks a lot for the comments, everyone. I guess I just need to come for a "look-see."

-m

Hi.

Can anyone give some general comments on general noise problems in Thailand? I realize that its a big country, but need to know if peace and quiet is possible. Can't stand barking dogs, loud mufflers etc.  Does everyone have a "guard dog" to protect their home? Don't know if I could live like that (or next to someone who 's dog is barking constantly). OR maybe someone could recommend a peaceful little beach town etc...??

Thanks!

-m

No noise problems here. Nobody's ever mentioned anything like that on this forum. The dogs are really sweet and playful, especially the poodles - very quiet. No building works of any consequence, no trucks with poorly maintained exhaust systems. Paradise.

Peaceful little beach towns? I should give Pattaya, Patong or Chaweng a try. Really quaint.

Nice nick by the way. :o

I know what you mean. Before I built my house I checked with the village management that there would be no barking dogs or street vendors allowed on. They assured me that this was the case. The village is pretty quite although there are one or two dogs now. The problem that I never contemplated is that the next village along make so much noise I can hear much of it. One house plays Thai music from a concert type stereo system for about two hours most nights. I’m told that it’s a dance class. In the Uk I would go straight around and complain and then get the police. Sadly here in Thailand such luxuries aren’t available. I think it’s a case of Mai Pen Ria, as usual! I don’t think it very Thai to complain, about anything. :o

if yr talking about noise in bangkok, there is always a hum or noise of someind but thats expected in a city with 10 million people, but up country its very quiet, once i was with a friend and we drove out and sat in complete silence which was really nice, people speak of noise pollution and i can see why, but its not too bad in bangkok,

Hi.

Thanks!

-m

can't help about noisy here ... in LOS we try to control about noise polution, but as we know ..it doesn't work well

and everybody here doesnt have gaurd dog.. :D

try to stay away from"soi dog" or main road is IMHO

beach.. try Koh Tarutao :D

tarutao2.jpg

Thanks a lot for the comments, everyone. I guess I just need to come for a "look-see." 

-m

Or a "listen-hear"? :o

heheh or try this on

bbeardisp.jpg

Bambi :D

Hi.

Thanks!

-m

can't help about noisy here ... in LOS we try to control about noise polution, but as we know ..it doesn't work well

and everybody here doesnt have gaurd dog.. :D

try to stay away from"soi dog" or main road is IMHO

beach.. try Koh Tarutao :D

tarutao2.jpg

-m

Or a "listen-hear"? :o

heheh or try this on

bbeardisp.jpg

Bambi :D

i hear that Bambina is considered noise pollution when she gets going :D:D:D

Have you been drinking Chownah's beer ?

Ear plugs are the way to go, i hate having to use them but i can't sleep without them in, new neighbours make sure of that. They are learning to play the guitar from about 6 am to 1 am. most days. Driving me nutts, i have asked them nicely to keep it down a bit, and they do try, but unfortunately that makes it worse, now they are trying to be quiet, but failing i can't really get angry at them as they dont go silly loud, but it is loud enough to wake me even with ear plugs in. School kids of about 18 so often all their friends gather there too. Grrr give me the soi dogs back, at least you can throw things at them to get them to shut up which helps relieve the stress of noise pollution a little.

In the Uk I would go straight around and complain and then get the police. Sadly here in Thailand such luxuries aren’t available. I think it’s a case of Mai Pen Ria, as usual! I don’t think it very Thai to complain, about anything. :o

Sometimes it does work to some extent. Someone decided to setup a karoke bar on the bypass road cutting through our moo bahn, about 200 meters where we live. They cranked it up loud enough to rattle the windows and we are talking 200 meters. I can't imagine how the neighbors that are much closer could tolerate it. Even my wife was getting annoyed and asked me if I wanted her to call the police. Took me by surprise because I figured like most Thais didn't want any 'trouble'. She called them twice over the next couple of weeks, and a very good chance some of the other neighbors did also. The sound from the karoke bar has now dropped significantly and I can sleep again.

In BKK it is very important that one is in a "good" building when it comes to apt. neighbors. Well educated(?) and well behaved residents (both the Thai and the foreign) makes a world of difference. It often means to go for a bit more upscale housing.

Living on a high floor also helps - I have a hard time believing that I live in the middle of the business district some days as it can be very quiet.

Cheers!

In BKK it is very important that one is in a "good" building when it comes to apt. neighbors. Well educated(?) and well behaved residents (both the Thai and the foreign) makes a world of difference. It often means to go for a bit more upscale housing.

Living on a high floor also helps - I have a hard time believing that I live in the middle of the business district some days as it can be very quiet.

Cheers!

My physics teacher always taught me "sound rises". Never said exactly how far though :o

Sorry to "hear" about your problems. I really need a sanctuary from noise, at least for sleeping. I think I should just plan on building a sound-proof room -or whole house!. Triple layers of drywall on walls and ceilings, double or triple-paned windows etc. Costs more to cool, but at least you're still SANE (or maybe its too late for me...)

:o

Ear plugs are the way to go, i hate having to use them but i can't sleep without them in, new neighbours make sure of that. They are learning to play the guitar from about 6 am to 1 am. most days. Driving me nutts, i have asked them nicely to keep it down a bit, and they do try, but unfortunately that makes it worse, now they are trying to be quiet, but failing i can't really get angry at them as they dont go silly loud, but it is loud enough to wake me even with ear plugs in. School kids of about 18 so often all their friends gather there too. Grrr give me the soi dogs back, at least you can throw things at them to get them to shut up which helps relieve the stress of noise pollution a little.

There are several condos being built in my soi. Construction goes on day and night. I soundproofed the bedroom of my house and got some industrial-strength earplugs, but the problem is vibration. It's like a very mild earthquake which becomes a major one when they drive piles.

The earplugs don't block low-frequencies so the noise of jackhammers still gets through. Not that it matters much because the plugs always seem to fall out of my ears a few minutes after I've managed to get to sleep.

Guess it's just an occupational hazard of living in glorious downtown Bangkok.