Where To Go In Koh Samui

kunash

hi, i will be in KS on the 9th Oct, in Chaweng Road - Centara Grand Beach Resort. i will be there with my Thai GF for 5 nights. we will hire a bike. we dont like to swim or do anything too adventurous, but we like temples, or eating at very nice restaurants, or nice bars, or shopping. we will visit the chaweng road of course, for the first time, but can anyone recommend some good shopping malls, or some great touristy places to go, not too far from the hotel.

thank you

Hello there. The Centara is a wonderful place to stay but when you walk out of it, the area around is not 5 star, riding around on your moto and drinking beer is what Samui is all about but you will be in magnificent scenery and every ride will be a pleasure, I cant think of any 1 thing that stands out about Samui it is the whole experience, thats why I live here. There are no shopping malls but the shopping is amazingly good.

thanks for replies, so chaweng road seems to be the main place then to go. oh, and my GF is thai, and we are not going to KS for the sun bathing. every time i visit Thailand, I take my GF somewhere new. ( for her and for me ). this time it happens to be KS. If we like the place we go back. not everyone visits ''beautiful tropical islands'' to do the same thing as you Starcandle. i do my thing and you do your thing.

so your coming on holiday with your GF to a tropical Island and you want a good shopping mall

sounds like tesco lotus is the place for you

I overheard a couple asking a taxi driver outside of Tesco the other day where the shopping mall was.

I mean Paris is good...London....New York....Bangkok is fairly good even. Maybe they should have gone to the Maldives.

OP check out the restaurant thread pinned at the top of the forum. Choeng Mon Chaweng Noi Nikki Beach.......Green Mango.....Fishermans Village worth a look.....Maenam and on and on.....

Edited by smokie36

so your coming on holiday with your GF to a tropical Island and you want a good shopping mall

I overheard a couple asking a taxi driver outside of Tesco the other day where the shopping mall was.

I mean Paris is good...London....New York....Bangkok is fairly good even. Maybe they should have gone to the Maldives.

OP check out the restaurant thread pinned at the top of the forum. Choeng Mon Chaweng Noi Nikki Beach.......Green Mango.....Fishermans Village worth a look.....Maenam and on and on.....

but then you can also ask the taxi driver where the shopping mall is in Hua Hin, and he will tell you Market Village. an amazing 3 story HUGE shopping mall, with some fantastic shopping.

There are some very nice places to go in the mountains, magic garden, Suan Jai Nai Organic Farm is nice with a fantastic view point.

Also there are some good restaurants up there and of course it is cooler than down on the beach.

How are your riding skills?

but then you can also ask the taxi driver where the shopping mall is in Hua Hin, and he will tell you Market Village. an amazing 3 story HUGE shopping mall, with some fantastic shopping.

You won't find that here. Your GF will enjoy pottering around Laem Din market for an hour or two though. ;)

:annoyed: dont bother its a complete rip off :annoyed:

Rent a house for 6k Baht a month......buy fish from the market at Bangrak.....beers from the 7-11.....sit on the balcony.....spend all day on a lovely beach...swim...sunbathe....all for free.

Beers are 50/60 Baht in the bars here. How much are they in Bangkok these days?

The knob poster of the day.

Rent a house for 6k Baht a month......buy fish from the market at Bangrak.....beers from the 7-11.....sit on the balcony.....spend all day on a lovely beach...swim...sunbathe....all for free.

\wow 6k a month it must be a mansion, not everyone likes fish i dont live in Bangkok, i like to eat out in restaraunts and drink the odd bottle of wine not sit on a balcony cheap charlie drinking from the 7 and sat on a towel caressing a bottle of water probably tap filled is not exactly my idea of fun.

Try doing something there and count up the cost like i said complete rip off!!

Well done , you won complete xxxxxxxxxxxx post of the day :D

Edited by Rooo
Flame removed.

\wow 6k a month it must be a mansion, not everyone likes fish i dont live in Bangkok, i like to eat out in restaraunts and drink the odd bottle of wine not sit on a balcony cheap charlie drinking from the 7 and sat on a towel caressing a bottle of water probably tap filled is not exactly my idea of fun.

Well done , you won complete xxxxxxx post of the day :D

Oddly enough I had a pleasant bottle of vino for 800 Baht just the other night.....much cheaper than that ANYWHERE in Thailand and its Blue Nun/Asti Spumante but maybe you prefer that? Its also possible to have a Sunday buffet lunch with unlimited decent wine for 1200 Baht here. B)

Check out the OP before spewing this garbage. He's staying at the Centara......I doubt he has your money worries.

Another 'expert' on Samui....crawl back under your bridge.

Edited by Rooo
Flame in quote removed.

Well done , you won complete cock end post of the day :D

Oddly enough I had a pleasant bottle of vino for 800 Baht just the other night.....much cheaper than that ANYWHERE in Thailand and its Blue Nun/Asti Spumante but maybe you prefer that? Its also possible to have a Sunday buffet lunch with unlimited decent wine for 1200 Baht here. B)

Check out the OP before spewing this garbage. He's staying at the Centara......I doubt he has your money worries.

Please excuse me from having an opinion, perhaps you have never been in a taxi tried a jet ski or two rented a scooter or a car no perhaps not as you live in perfect harmony with your surroundings i found it a rip off plain and simple

Do not abuse me again or i will report you

It seems some wisdom is required here. ;)

Fact is, Samui has prices to tailor all budgets. Jet ski scams are worldwide, not just Samui. There are loads of excellent places to eat. Endless amounts of bars to drink cheap beer or top end wines whatever your preference may be. But yes, taxis are a complete rip off, but a valid reason not to come here? Ofcourse not, but like anywhere, nothings perfect.

All in all, the vast majority of tourists that come here enjoy a great holiday.

No one needs to report to teacher. Calm down girls and enjoy the sunshine. :D

Edited by carmine
  • Like 1

thanks some good suggestions there, including the mountains, and Laem Din market

edit; how long does it take to ride a moped around the island? with a stop off for lunch maybe. i am not sure how big the island is

Edited by kunash

It seems some wisdom is required here. ;)

Fact is, Samui has prices to tailor all budgets. Jet ski scams are worldwide, not just Samui. There are loads of excellent places to eat. Endless amounts of bars to drink cheap beer or top end wines whatever your preference may be. But yes, taxis are a complete rip off, but a valid reason not to come here? Ofcourse not, but like anywhere, nothings perfect.

All in all, the vast majority of tourists that come here enjoy a great holiday.

No one needs to report to teacher. Calm down girls and enjoy the sunshine. :D

Well put carmine. Thanks also for saving me six of the best from our dear leader.........I'm off out for a few cheap beers!

OP a leasurly ride around the island with a few stop offs will take you around three hours.....but it could take all day if you like a beer or two. :D

Please excuse me from having an opinion, perhaps you have never been in a taxi tried a jet ski or two rented a scooter or a car no perhaps not as you live in perfect harmony with your surroundings i found it a rip off plain and simple

Do not abuse me again or i will report you

So just because you are XXXXXXXX enough to get the big rip off everywhere you went here you just label the whole island a rip off. I can get a lift to anywhere on the island for less than 200 baht. I can rent a motorbike for the month with a weekly service included for 2000 baht,I can rent a jet ski for the day for 2000 baht and will not get any hassle for imaginary damage. I can sit in a beautiful bar / restaurant on the beach and pay 60 baht for a big beer, I can sit in a nice restaurant on the beach and eat as much as I like for 99 baht. The difference is mugs are ripped off everywhere around the world. No matter where you go if you are stupid enough you will pay.

Need I say more ? :o

And that isn't abuse it is telling it like it is.

OP check out Namuang waterfall, signposted as waterfall number 2, Wat Plai Laem, Wat kunaram where the preserved monk is and the aquarium is supposed to be a good day out.

Edited by Rooo
Flame removed.