Two Strokes Doomed In Just Over A Year?

ClareQuilty

I wonder what the technical fellows on here could advise. I have a few old two strokes, and of course I'm very fond of them. I'm wondering if they have any future at all, or if when the gasohol is imposed at the end of next year I'll have to scrap them.

Is there any way to keep a two-stroke running on the contaminated gas, even for a little while? Perhaps some additives?

I did put some of that horrible gasohol in one of my bikes by accident a few months ago, and though one tank didn't appear to do any permanent damage, the bike was badly effected, and almost undriveable at lower speeds (all set right once it was filled up with real gas again).

Claire,

An interesting thread. Did you put E10 or E20 I suppose it could have been E85 but that is not yet widespread. Also did you buy it at a real gas station or village shop? I do not believe it is because it is 2T. Just old.laugh.gif

From what i understand the alcohol cleans all the gunk out of the system. The fuel tank, the fuel hose and the carb. Have heard of so much gunk being cleaned out of the tank that it plugs the fuel filter. Also the alcohol has an adverse effect on the rubber parts, hoses and O rings in the system. E10 has been around a while and there are still lots of two stroke bikes. I don't ride mine much but have run it once on E10 but only for one tank , about 11/2 hours or less.

I do not believe there would be any difference in mixture at E10.

I am sure most are using E10 already as the price is lower. I'll talk to the guy across the street he has a KR150 and the other older guy has a Vespa.

Replace the fuel hose with a slick fluorescent one bah.gifthen to "pre clean" your system you could try bunging a bottle of fuel system cleaner in. Then wean your bike onto E10 25% /33% / 50% etc......

Keep the faith.cool.gif

Edited by VocalNeal

Most small boat engines are two stroke.

I'm sure fuel will be available for them if you know where to look.

Just a thought!

Interesting point. I think back in the US in states where there is no real gasoline, many small boat people have just had to deal with it.

They deal with it BUT the engine failure rate is getting high. The best advice is to add a little more 2t oil to the bike to offset the cleansing effect of the ethanol on the engine cylinder.

Edited by thaicbr

An old favourite back in the day was Avgas. High octane fun in a drum! We wanted better performance back then. If the local fuel merchant can get Avgas 110 or 130 in drums buy with friends cos it goes off faster than regular pump fuel. Actually, O/S they have changed to Avgas 100LL....so ask for that instead.

P/s: when I say drum I am talking 205 litres!

Edited by BSJ

An old favourite back in the day was Avgas. High octane fun in a drum! We wanted better performance back then. If the local fuel merchant can get Avgas 110 or 130 in drums buy with friends cos it goes off faster than regular pump fuel. Actually, O/S they have changed to Avgas 100LL....so ask for that instead.

P/s: when I say drum I am talking 205 litres!

Yikes, I wonder how much such a drum would cost. Problem with a lot of solutions for those of us with ancient bikes is - there's a reason we have ancient bikes in the first place: no money. (I do prefer the old bikes, but also they're what I can afford).

Maybe they'll make aviation gas illegal too, or you'll have to get some kind of special airplane license to get it.