Your Home Theatre Rig

penelope

I have just completed my home theatre building project for my apartment in Bkk.

Suffice to say it is kickass and I am very happy, no need to go to the cinema anymore, thankgod. We had a spare room in our condo, so I dedicated it to being an entertainment room.This is the rig :

Entire system is pure digital, no analogue paths or conversions

Pioneer 43" high definition plasma (HDMI input)

Pioneer DV-S969AVI DVD player (HDMI output, i-Link digital audio output)

Pioneer VSX-AX5i Amp receiver (i-Link digital audio input)

Wharfdale speakers and sub for 7.1 Dolby Digital Surround

Windows media centre PC in Entertainment Case(wifi connection to broadband internet, bluetooth wireless keyboard/mouse,high spec video/sound/cpu/mboard,dvd RW, 2 gb RAM,200 GB HDD,room mic,web cam,digital video and audio output, etc...)

Sofa, table,Media storage(DVD etc...)

:o

Note: I dont pump UBC into the system because UBC is crap broadcast quality.We watch UBC on a rear projection tv screen in the living room.

Anyone else here got the home theatre bug ?

I recently got an AV receiver and some so-so speakers, but that's about it. I may have the urge to get some of this stuff, but it's just way out of my league (read: me not rich).

A suggestion for anyone thinking of buying HT/AV stuff in BKK: You can get it for a lot cheaper if you don't buy at department stores (powerbuy,powermall, etc). Go to a retail shop instead, they give a lot of leeway for haggling. An example is the Philips Pixel Plus 34" CRT TV, sold for 59,900 baht in stores, with a DVD player as a freebie. You can get it for 45,000 at Sahavitayu, without the freebie.

On a similar note, the plasma TV prices here are really inflated. A 42" Philips Pixel Plus Plasma is sold here for 339,000 baht. In the US, the same model sells for roughly 160,000 baht.