Viet Or Cambo Restaurants?

Nam Plah

The only place I know that has VN food is The Vientiane on South Road and the dishes are limited.

There was a VN noodle shop in the new Central Festival, don't know if it's still there.

And a local told me that the restaurant next to the Bangkok Pattaya hospital has VN food but I've never bothered to check it out.

• 4 weeks later...

Update for people who like to use Hoisin sauce with their bun bowls or pho, Saigon Cafe now stocks it! Just ask. They have always had Sriracha chile sauce available, also ask for it.

Another good dish there which I somehow doubt is traditional Vietnamese is their deep fried salt and pepper shrimp (large shrimp with shells on). This is really tasty! About 150 baht and totally worth it.

Vietnam

Hoisin sauce is also a popular condiment for phở; the sauce can be directly added into a bowl of phở by the diner, or can be used as a side dip for the meat of phở dishes. The sauce is also used for glazing broiled chicken.

Edited by Jingthing

Upstairs foodcourt in side the Lotus on Sukumvit , just past Theprasit Road.

There is a stall there that sells Vietnamese type spring rolls - both the fresh and steamed type.

Both are killer and 30 baht a serving.

The stall is along the stairwell and only accepts cash , it is not one of the coupon places - they also make fresh fruit shakes so easy to find if you look for that.

define cambo food

Maybe I meant "Khmer" food.

I was thinking of two dishes in particular, Lok Lahk and Amok which I have never encountered outside of Cambodia.

While they are both fairly simple in preparation they happen to be quite tasty and different from Thai dishes.

Edited by Nam Plah

define cambo food

I was thinking of two dishes in particular, Lok Lahk and Amok which I have never encountered outside of Cambodia.

While they are both fairly simple in preparation they happen to be quite tasty and different from Thai dishes.

I really think Cambo amok and Thai Haw Mok are VERY SIMILAR, almost identical actually.

I don't think there are any Cambo restaurants in Pattaya but certainly the food can be found near the border.

define cambo food

I really think Cambo amok and Thai Haw Mok are VERY SIMILAR, almost identical actually.

I don't think there are any Cambo restaurants in Pattaya but certainly the food can be found near the border.

Thai Haw Mok, - I have never encountered in LOS it but a quick search and it appears to be the same stuff I had in Siam Riep.

Yum.

Khmer food is ok, seems like a bland version of its thai cousin.

Jing - you seen any good Indonesian restaurants?

I think the only dedicated one in town, and no I haven't been there. It's pricey.

http://www.indo-lavillabali-pattaya.com/

The Dutch restaurant in the Soi Diana plaza has bami goreng and nasi goreng, also haven't been there.

There's a relatively new Vietnamese place next to the Sophon Cable office, obviously on Soi Sophon Cable. I had the fresh rolls, the fried rolls, the nam nuong and some other stuff. Reasonably priced and good. Recommended.

It's a Thai restaurant with about half a dozen Vietnamese named dishes made with Thai ingredients.

Has anyone tried Le Saigon Bayview Restaurant? It is associated with the VN restaurant in Central Festival. The views on the brochure look killer.

The views are great, the food not so.

Great. Thanks! Sounds like a great place for a sundowner....

Has anyone tried Le Saigon Bayview Restaurant? It is associated with the VN restaurant in Central Festival. The views on the brochure look killer.

The views are great, the food not so.

Great. Thanks! Sounds like a great place for a sundowner....

Yes, there's a lounge bar looking out to sea for the sunset views, and the restaurant on the other side of the bulding looks over Pattaya Bay.

most people posting here dont have a clue what they are taliking about....the question is what is cambodian food?????

Go to PP and try to find it, I think you wil find it a challenge, and maybe as disappointing as the philippines

Go overseas and you will see many restos advertised as cambodian in US/elsewhere, but which are really period Thai.Cihinese restos from the 70s...

Edited by Utterlyuseful

most people posting here dont have a clue what they are taliking about....the question is what is cambodian food?????

Go to PP and try to find it, I think you wil find it a challenge, and maybe as disappointing as the philippines

Go overseas and you will see many restos advertised as cambodian in US/elsewhere, but which are really period Thai.Cihinese restos from the 70s...

It depends. I have had excellent Cambodian fish amok at two places in Northern California. Cambodian cuisine was indeed severely damaged by the massacre period, keeping old recipes up was hardly a priority there for the survivors.

Edited by Jingthing