Malaysia Border Run Noob Questions

I'm thinking about making my border run to Malaysia. I have been there before, but it was for the 2nd part of a double entry so I just landed and took a plane back to Bangkok.

My questions are:

1. Is it easy to get a double entry visa in Malaysia?(US citizen) I read you need to have good paper work, so I assume that just means filling out the forms and having copies of passport and photo.

2. Is it a one day process, meaning I go to the Thai consulate the day I arrive, and pick up my visa the next day

2b, If one day, would it be ready early the next day? (just to get a feel of when to schedule my flight

3. how far is the Thai consulate from the airport?

4. Any guess to costs? I figure I would just bring 5-6,000 baht and convert it at the airport

5. Taxi driver speak English enough to get me to the Thai consulate?

I have considered Laos, but it seems confusing. Not sure about Cambodia.

Singapore seems really easy, but the sticky says it is expensive. If I can get a flight there close to what I would pay for Malaysia, where would the added expense come from? Do the give out double entry visa's easily?

If you guys have a better selection, I'm open for suggestions.

I'd rather fly somewhere then mess with a 5 hour bus ride, unless there is a really good visa service I'm missing

I need a double entry visa

The less confusing, the better

Sorry about so many questions. I just can't find all the answers through the stickies on the front page and searching the forums.

Thanks for the replies.

Laos is not confusing, in Vientiane you will get a double entry tourist visa for free

You mean the visa to go to Laos right?

So if I fly to Vientiane I can just take a taxi to the Thai consulate?

My fiance thought Laos accepts Thai currency. Is that true or should I just convert at the airport?<br>

Edited by lostpacket

Most people fly to Udon which is less than an hours drive from the border as the cost is much less. Read the pinned thread on Vientiane visa for a lot of information.

The Lao visa you will have to pay for - the Thai visa is free until next March.

• Like 1

I read the pinned thread, but the train was not appealing so I didn't consider it.

It says I can go to the Friendship Bridge, and also talked about the Mekong Ferry. So I can fly to Udon, take a taxi to the border. From there it said something about a 10 baht bus trip across. I assume I can take the bus or the ferry across the border then a taxi to the Thai Embassy. Does that sound right?

I'm glad to hear the visa's are free as that saves me 3,000 baht or so.

Will I need to convert my money to Laos or will Thai baht work?

The pinned sticky says 2 business days, but the other poster said 1...best to just count on staying 2 days to be safe or is 1 day a sure thing (as long as I arrive early enough).

Sorry for so many questions, I just like to fully understand everything, especially before ordering my flight.

Edited by lostpacket

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to bring up an old thread, but I have a question.

It looks like I'm going to Laos to get the visa. Actually, I planned on flying to Ubon, crossing the border, then going to the Thai Consulate. I planned on getting a double entry visa (60 days, 2 entries)

However, I read this:

1. A tourist visa will enable the passport holder to stay in Thailand no longer than 60 days. However, there are certain nationalities that could travel to Thailand with visa exemption and could stay in the kingdom no longer than 30 days. Please see the list of countries with visa exemption below (the period of stay will be reduced to 15 days when arriving through land border checkpoints between Thailand and the Lao PDR, Cambodia, Malaysia and Myanmar).

So if I go by my plan, they will only give me a 15 day visa?

I would fly directly there, but when I checked Air Aisa, there are no flights to Vientiane. Thai airways is ridiculously expensive.

Edited by lostpacket

If you go to Vientiane, you will most likely get a double entry tourist visa for free at the consulate.

This visa if utilized correctly will allow you to stay in Thailand for about 6 months.

Don’t worry about what you’ve been reading about the 15 day permit of stay after crossing a land boarder.

This is only for those that cross a land boarder and don’t have a valid visa.

If you’re not close to Laos, fly to Udon and use the public transport from there. Search Thaivisa for directions if you don’t know how to proceed.

There are quite a few good reports on how to travel and acquire a visa in Vientiane Laos.

If your not sure about the process you can always use one of the VISA run services. Bangkok has some for any budget and they will do everything for you. The next thing is just try to link up with some one at the border. VISA runners are easy to spot and most of us are willing to help out.

I went to Laos from Chiang Mai last week, there was less than 200 people at the Consulate. All the details you need are in Vientiane thread. To answer your question about money, Lao Kip is about 265 to the Baht and yes you can use Baht. Most people speak English so just ask for the Baht price. There are also money exchanges at the border and all over town so you can just change baht to kip and get a better rate.

gl

cr

ah, thanks all for the info

The consulate noted that this was a required document:

"Cash or traveler's check equivalent to 10,000 baht per person or 20,000 baht per family"

Do you think I could just show them my bankbook, or is it necessary to carry 10,000 baht cash?

I have read about visa services, but all of them seemed to be bus services. I have a bit of vertigo so I tend to stay away from buses. Would any of these services utilize air travel? If so, where would I look for legit places?

I haven't heard about any visa service that utilize air travel to Vientiane, only bus service.

If someone else have heard differently, then they will pipe in.

As for monetary requirements, so far there have been no reports of these requirements at the consulate in Vientiane.

However if you do have a bank book with at lest that amount, why not bring it along, or better yet, just a copy of it. Just for piece of mind.

I'm not sure about the legality and guarantee on getting a visa. However there are some visa companies that will take you to the Aranyapratet boarder.

Set you up in a hotel in no mans land for a night, while a courier travels to Phnom Penh with your passport to procure a tourist visa for you.

It will be a bit more than 2000 Baht though.

However about a year ago, I heard about a poor sould that got stuck there for about 5 days waiting for his passport.