Did I Hear Correctly?

jayenram

Watching the news last night, I'm convinced I heard Tony Blair state "Anyone proven to have links with international terrorist organisations may face deportation from Britain"

What's with this "may" <deleted>? Other than deportation, are we going to have them shot?

Watching the news last night, I'm convinced I heard Tony Blair state "Anyone proven to have links with international terrorist organisations may face deportation from Britain"

What's with this "may" <deleted>? Other than deportation, are we going to have them shot?

I suppose we could incarcerate them in prison instead... at great cost to the UK taxpayer....gotta justify the taxes after all... :o

totster :D

Does it mean Britain will kick out the friendly LTTE or just ask them to change the names?. :o

Probably cos you would have to find a country to deport them to. If they are British subjects this would be difficult.

Probably cos you would have to find a country to deport them to. If they are British subjects this would be difficult.

How about Australia...they are used to convicts. :o

Jordanian cleric facing expulsion from Britain

21.07.05 4.00pm

By Andrew Grice

LONDON - A Muslim cleric who has been described as Osama bin Laden's "spiritual ambassador in Europe" faces deportation to Jordan under a crackdown on Islamic extremists in the wake of the London bombings.

Charles Clarke, the Home Secretary, announced yesterday that he is taking new powers to deport or exclude from Britain people who who incite others to commit terrorist acts by preaching, running websites or writing inflammatory articles.

Jordanian-born Abu Qatada, who fled to Britain claiming persecution, was held in Belmarsh Prison without charge after the September 11 attacks in the United States and is currently the subject of a control order.

Tapes of his sermons were found in a Hamburg flat used by some of the 9/11 hijackers and he is believed to have inspired the shoe bomber Richard Reid. He has been convicted of terrorism in his absence in Jordan and several European countries are believed to be trying to extradite him.

The Government will try to deport Qatada under an agreement struck with Jordan which guarantees that deportees would not be mistreated in the country to which they are sent.

The process could take years as he could still challenge his removal in the British courts, but yesterday's agreement reduces the prospects of the court's ruling that deportation could breach the European Convention on Human Rights.

A second Jordanian man previously held at Belmarsh, Abu Rideh, could also face deportation after the deal is formally signed shortly.

However, the agreement will not affect other high-profile Muslim extremists accused of inciting terrorism such as Sheikh Omar Bakri Mohammed, who has blamed the London bombings on the British people because they re-elected Tony Blair on May.

Dubbed "the Tottenham Ayatollah", he was granted exceptional leave to remain in Britain. But he has joint Syrian and Lebanese nationality and no similar agreement exists with these countries.

The memo of understanding with Jordan is the first of its kind struck by Britain but ministers hope to conclude similar agreements with countries such as Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia so that up to 20 known Muslim extremists could eventually be deported.

In practice, they are more likely to be prosecuted under a new law to be pushed through before Christmas, which will outlaw indirectly inciting others to carry out a terrorist act. This could be used against people who support suicide bombings in Israel as well as those who defend the London attacks but would not be retrospective.

In a Commons statement, Mr Clarke made clear he was likely to bar extremist clerics living abroad from entering Britain. He will amend the Immigration and Asylum Bill now going through parliament to strengthen his powers to exclude people from the UK whose presence would not be "conducive to the public interest."

He said: "I have concluded that these powers need to be applied more widely and systematically both to people before they come to the UK and when they are here. In the circumstances we now face, I have decided it is right to broaden the use of these powers to deal with those who foment terrorism or seek to provoke others to terrorist acts.

The Home Office will draw up a list of "unacceptable behaviour" such as preaching, running websites or writing articles intended to "foment or provoke terrorism" and compile an international database of extremists for immigration officers.

Such behaviour would not be permitted by anyone with leave to enter or remain in this country, including students, asylum seekers and refugees, said Mr Clarke. If people already in the UK engaged in such actions, he said it may be appropriate to deport them.

Tony Blair will today ask the intelligence and security services whether they still oppose the use of evidence from telephone tapping against suspected terrorists. He told MPs that he was in favour "in principle" but security chiefs had advised in the past that the disadvantages would outweigh the benefits.

The Prime Minister said he plans to host a conference to bring together all countries affected by Islamist extremism "to try and take concerted action, right across the world, to try and root out this type of extremist teaching."

Human rights groups expressed concern about the agreement with Jordan.

Kate Allen, Amnesty International's UK director, said: "Such promises from countries like Jordan, which are known to have used torture, are not worth the paper they are written on. These assurances rely on the good faith of states that are known to torture their subjects - a practice which few states admit to."

Shami Chakrabarti, director of Liberty, said: "It should take more than self-serving assurances to demonstrate that a country with Jordan's human rights record is safe. If this memorandum is to mean anything at all it must be corroborated by the observations of international human rights watchdogs."

- INDEPENDENT

How about Australia...they are used to convicts. :D

:o new rule in Aus, no women hairier than the men :D

send the men to New Zealand, as living in the UK theyd be used to the cold. :D

Edited by Tornado

Sometimes it is not desirable to deport these people - it is better to have them under heavy surveillance - at least you know where they are and what they are up to.

"keep your friends close and your enemies closer" - Sun Tzu

You can expect more of the same after today's events.

Perhaps an answer would be to make it internationally known that any muslims who die as a result of suicide bombings in western countries will be ceremonially buried wrapped in the skin of a pig. May get them to have second thoughts?

If they are British muslim's i.e born in England it would be incredibly difficult to deport them to some other country with proven terrist connections, I think the only country which would accept them is England. After all we did allow a man who was denied entry into the USA and France for preaching terrorism in a round a bout way, but the UK welcomed him with open arms and actually allowed him to lecture to young muslims... and the best part of it was we payed for it all :o

If the bombing of innocent people is un-Islamic and we all know how Muslims get really upset when Islam gets insulted how come we do not see massive street demonstrations from the “great moderate Muslim majority” protesting about how their religion is being hijacked and insulted.

I know many Muslims have spoken out against this but I feel that if there where many street demonstrations by Muslims against these acts, then that would do a lot to help end this.

I am not having a pop at Muslims in general; I just think they have not been vocal enough in condemning these acts.

Maybe I’m wrong, maybe there have been lots of protests, but I have not seen many big demos by Muslims on the telly.

:o

Just a thought, but if representatives of the US government visit Britain, will they be expelled on the grounds that they previously financed both Osama Bin Laden (in the days when he was a 'freedom fighter' because he was attacking Russia, not America), and Saddam Hussein (when he was fighting Iran)?

It seems that the west's definition of terrorist is entirely dependent on who the terrorist is attacking.

If the bombing of innocent people is un-Islamic and we all know how Muslims get really upset when Islam gets insulted how come we do not see massive street demonstrations from the “great moderate Muslim majority” protesting about how their religion is being hijacked and insulted.

I know many Muslims have spoken out against this but I feel that if there where many street demonstrations by Muslims against these acts, then that would do a lot to help end this.

I am not having a pop at Muslims in general;  I just think they have not been vocal enough in condemning these acts.

Maybe I’m wrong, maybe there have been lots of protests, but I have not seen many big demos by Muslims on the telly.

I think if the muslim's started to protest I think it would spark off violence with the white community. I also havent seen any demonstration or protest comdeming the attack from other religions.

i think they started that already by shooting brazilian "terorists" or was it "tourists" ?? :o

I think if the muslim's started to protest I think it would spark off violence with the white community. I also havent seen any demonstration or protest comdeming the attack from other religions.

Don’t agree Davey,

If the Muslims where to conduct big protests about these terrorist acts,

not just in London but all over the world, I think it would show a bit of solidarity, and it would take away any semblance that these fcukwits where fighting in their name.

Why would white folks react violently to this?

I just think the “Great Muslin Moderate Majority” which we hear so much about has not been vocal enough in condemning this shit.

I think it’s time that we stopped being PC and discussed this thing openly, I really think that rightly or wrongly the majority of Muslims think that all their troubles are the fault of the west and that a lot of them have a certain empathy with these nutters.

Ok, I’ve probably stepped over the mark here and will get pasted for this, but at least lets talk openly about this.

<deleted>, I sound like a storm trooper, but nothing could be further from the truth.

I agree that it would be nice with some more protests from moderate muslims against these bombings. At least the leader of Pakistan went out and strongly condemned the bombings. That's a step. As to the rest, yes, I am still waiting too.

Then again chechoie, did you as a moderate Westerner demonstrate when it became known what took place in Abu Ghraib?