Thailand Tourist Arrivals Up Over 13 Percent.

webfact

Tourist arrivals up 13.79%

By The Nation

During the first seven months of this year, Thailand welcomed 8.77 million tourists, a 13.79 per cent increase from 7.7 million from the same period in 2009, according to Tourism Authority of Thailand.

TAT said that arrivals in the first half of 2009 had been hit by the impact of the global financial and economic crisis prevailing at the time, making this year's rate of increase relatively high over a low base figure. It also reflects the fact that while arrivals to Bangkok were significantly affected, arrivals to Phuket remained relatively buoyant. The arrivals in June and July 2010 have picked up significantly, thanks to the launching of recovery programmes and a broad range of promotional packages. TAT officials are optimistic that it will still be possible to meet the year's total arrivals target of 14 million arrivals.

On each of the markets, the following performance analysis, based on the figures tabulated so far:

EAST ASIA: East Asian visitor arrivals to Thailand comprise the biggest market share of all visitors. Of the 8.7 million arrivals in January-July 2010, a total of 4.33 million were from the East Asia region. Malaysia topped the list with 1,086,247 arrivals, followed by China 561,634, Japan 546,947, and Korea 445,809.

EUROPE: The January-July period saw a good growth rate of 13.79 per cent to 2.56 million. The United Kingdom is the largest source market out of Europe, with arrivals of 473,408, up 0.33 per cent. Germany is Thailand's second highest source market from Europe with a total of 353,188 arrivals, up 14.58 per cent over the January-July 2009.

Visitors from Russia to Thailand have been growing steadily over the past few years. In the early days, Russian visitors began flocking on charters to Pattaya to escape the harsh winters. Today, they have become mainstream travellers. In January - July 2010, Russian visitors to Thailand totalled 325,306, up 98.49 per cent over the same period of 2009.

THE AMERICAS: Arrivals in January-July 2010 saw an increase of 1.59 per cent to 492,509.

The main market, the US, showed a slight decrease by 0.07 per cent to 356,104. However, arrivals from both Brazil and Canada showed positive growth of 15.67 per cent and 1.9 per cent, respectively. Thailand's image of good value for money remains a powerful magnet that continues to attract tourists

SOUTH ASIA: Arrivals in January-July 2010 grew by a strong 16.91 per cent to 532,664 with all markets doing well. India has become a primary market with arrivals up by 19.88 per cent to 405,389, making it the region's fastest growing market. Thailand is enjoying huge popularity among Indian niche markets; such as, weddings and honeymooners.

OCEANIA: Arrivals in January-July 2010 grew by 10.52 per cent to 438,241 visitors. Australian visitors were up 11.65 per cent to 387,704 and New Zealand up 1.91 per cent to 49,139. This is largely due to the influx of low-cost airlines like Jetstar into Phuket.

MIDDLE EAST: Arrivals in January-July 2010 grew by a strong 24.37 per cent to 341,151 with all markets showing a positive growth. One of the most promising is Iran with an increase of 52.17 per cent.

AFRICA: Arrivals in January-July 2010 were up by 17.67 per cent to 66,802. South Africa is a major market and has showed significant growth of 30.71 per cent to 27,080. It is expected to perform strongly in the year ahead in the wake of relaunch of Thai Airways' flights to Johannesburg.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-24

Perhaps the TAT is running 'black ops' resorts, whose whereabouts are known only to a select few. Visitors to Thailand are taken there immediately after landing at Swampy and therefore aren't seen in public.

The tourists are then subjected to constant 'Amazing Thailand' adverts and by the end of their two week holiday they have been brainwashed and head back home with various thoughts flowing through their head such as ' I must vote for Bangkok as the Worlds Best City', 'Pattaya is a family friendly heaven on earth'.

Wonder where in Thailand they're going to, Patters was quite quiet in June & July and Chiang Mai has looked empty all year, just a subjective POV I hasten to add ! Is Hat Yai enjoying a sudden rush of visitors this year ?

there are no tourists in hua hin/chaam either! I think what happens is that tourists come to bangkok because its the easiest airport to get to in this part of the world. They then may stay one night and bugger off to the other asian countries. I read an article where a guy in bkk does storage and loads of backpackers drop off their packs in bkk and then travel light around asia, leaving thailand after 1/2 days (using thailand as a hub).

I travel extensively in Laos and Cambodia. Over the last few months those places are full of tourists, while things here seem pretty slow........So I think arrival numbers for the airport here are somewhat skewed. I actually think a nightmare for Thailand is occurring , which is a large number of people are simply using Bangkok as a hub while they then travel onto other Asia countries. I feel Thailand has spent a lot of it's tourist goodwill coin, and is now starting to pay the price.

I suggest most people read the OP again, of the 8.77 million visitors 4.33 million, were from Far East Asia and another 1 million or so from India and SE Asia, so the visitors are here, it's just that they all look the same as the Thais, so we think the tourists aren't here. They are. Thailand isn't dominated by the US European market anymore - They've all buggered off elsewhere.

Not intending to be racist, but many Thai folk can't tell a Russian, from French or English person, can you tell a Malay from a Thai??

The problem Thailand has to address here is cost, most Indian and Chinese can buy the same goods here cheaper in their own country, which effects the small vendor, hence poor business.

I travel extensively in Laos and Cambodia. Over the last few months those places are full of tourists, while things here seem pretty slow........So I think arrival numbers for the airport here are somewhat skewed. I actually think a nightmare for Thailand is occurring , which is a large number of people are simply using Bangkok as a hub while they then travel onto other Asia countries. I feel Thailand has spent a lot of it's tourist goodwill coin, and is now starting to pay the price.

Always look on the bright side: selling Thailand's wonderful new airport as hub has worked :)

Strange, I flew 3 returns so far this year and for the first time in 20 year saw some unoccupied seats (in both directions)

On the way to Bangkok in July they (Etihad) even downgraded the plane from B777/300ER to A330/200, that's approx 100 seats less.

I also read many EVA and CHINA Airlines flights got canceled around June/July.

If TAT had the brains to average-over-time say for the last 10 years not just 2009, which was in the mire of yellow and red shirt garbage. The place was virtually empty! Of course the figures were up on 2009 as anything over and above zero is an increase! Morons. But don't let's stop the PR machine - what a crock! dry.gif

The other day i walked from Siam square to Pratunam which used to be full of tourists.I counted about 7 farangs and a small group of clueless looking Taiwanese on the 15 minute walk. Alot of thai staff dont want to work in the big hotels because theyre full of indians and iranians on cheap TAT sponsored tours.They want massage and the LOT for a few hundred baht. Thailand is too expensive (airfares) and farangs are sick of being treated like dirt.Theyre going elsewhere. Kao-san road for backpackers was virtually deserted a while back.Guest house?800 baht a night.Crazy thailand

They must be Invisible tourists. :rolleyes: TAT really are moronic, but I suppose 13% sounds good, although a better figure would to compare arrivals at this time of the year over a 10 year period.

In Bangkok last week - Dead, spoke to friends in Kanchanaburi this week who work in hotel industry - dead. Pattaya - generally dead. Koh Chang where I am based at the moment - it's like a fuc_king morgue.

They must be Invisible tourists. :rolleyes: TAT really are moronic, but I suppose 13% sounds good, although a better figure would to compare arrivals at this time of the year over a 10 year period.

In Bangkok last week - Dead, spoke to friends in Kanchanaburi this week who work in hotel industry - dead. Pattaya - generally dead. Koh Chang where I am based at the moment - it's like a fuc_king morgue.

I was in Phuket from last saterday till Wednesday,

Patong looked like a graveyard, A countryman who have a reastaurant tomld me he can hardly survive.

From wednesday till friday in Krabi, really empty the resort I stayed gave me a discounbt of 50% on the website prices of Agoda.

the most popular beach Ao Nang looked desterted at 10PM everythyn was closed

Also in Kgo Lanta hardly any tourist

Now I'm in Hua Hin, the tailor a cross my hotel told me that he sold 3 shirts and 1 trousers during the month of september, he earned 4500 baht while the rent for his shop is 22 000 baht.

He said tourist from China, and other Asian countries don't spend money like japanese and Europeans. I walked in the nightlife area last night well there where more bargirls than clients, In the restaurant I normaly go, I was the only costumes while normaly its full.

Everybody I spoke are hoping that the High Season will be better or they will be forced to close their bussines.

So indeed the old motto still go's

There are lies and statistics

Edited by henryalleman

I travel extensively in Laos and Cambodia. Over the last few months those places are full of tourists, while things here seem pretty slow........

Well they must have been hiding when I visited Laos recently as Chiang Mai was not great, but much busier than Vientiane.

My buddy who owns a successful business there must be lying to make me feel sorry for him as all he does is complain. I wonder how he kept the streets and his shop so empty for a whole week.

Surely The Nation didn't just cut and paste this entire article, word for word, from the TAT website and pass it off as their own work . . . Oh, they did.

The original Press Release is dated 9 September.

<snip>

Fair do's! After the first paragraph, the Nation did say: "according to Tourism Authority of Thailand".

And the rest of the story started with: "TAT said that...".

So doesn't that mean they can simply copy the rest?

Hey, I know it's mostly TAT BS, but I don't think the Nation actually pretended it was their staff who wrote it.