How Can I Make Money In Rural Thailand /Isaan

dmax

i have 2 million baht to invest in something in isaan, i need money to keep me and my family here, i usually come twice per year for 1-2 months at a time but we want to stay now, my wife wants to buy paddy land, or land to make sugar. i just dont know anything about farming to be honest but i do want to invest in something, we have definately ruled out opening a bar or something silly like that. i was even thinking of raising dogs/puppy farming and selling them at market , have tinkered with the idea of frog farming but my thai in laws say that the frogs we raise in farms are ( mai alloy) not the same as the ones they catch themselves.

any advice much appreciated.

thanks

Without prior experience, your chances at succeeding in turning a profit are not very good; put kindly.

There is money to be made in Rubber, Cassava, Sugar Cane, and Livestock.

All require, intense, on hand, ownership & supervision based on experience and most important; expertise in dealing with your Thai workers.

Except for personal consumption, stay away from rice paddies. You will loose money.

My best advice would be to keep your money, try whatever attracts you on a small scale.

When you get good at it, than invest on a larger scale.

To sustain yourself & small family from agriculture, you will need at least one hundred rai.

Good luck

Unless your thai fam know how to grow/breed it you will need a few years to learn the trade.

Or you need to pay somebody to teach it to you.

And unless your fam know where to unload X tonnes of what ever you grow/breed you won't get much out of it.

90% of Issan population were out of the Province to work. And the 10% left is either kids or the aged. I agree with soidog comments. You will sure lose all your money. A 2 million baht is a big sum for the Issan, but it's nothing much for a real good investment. Put it in the bank perhaps you can stay quite long in this place.

90% of Issan population were out of the Province to work. And the 10% left is either kids or the aged. I agree with soidog comments. You will sure lose all your money. A 2 million baht is a big sum for the Issan, but it's nothing much for a real good investment. Put it in the bank perhaps you can stay quite long in this place.

Sad but true. Issan has been well and truly raped and pillaged in so many ways for a long time now, starting with the trees. Not to mention the landholders and the landholders' daughters. Its climate has changed without the forests and its now quite arid. A large investment into beef farming in feedlots may work, but you would need many,many more baht. If you plant trees or olives, or some other arid area crop, you won't get a return for several years. As others have said you are better off investing the money elsewhere. Maybe property to rent for Uni students, or property somehwere else, but don't do farming.

Some years ago a British farmer won the lottery and was asked what he was going to do with all his money. He replied 'Just put it into the farm until it all runs out'.

hi dmax i totally agree wit soidogs advice . try something in small scale and see how you and the family get along whit it. and consider the fact that if you want result in whatever you try, be prepared to deal with the family you have to be able to "yakk yakk". smile will go away for some time but you will need the respect

we grow cassava and i have some knowledge of farming and i read alot on the subject before i started . tv are a good place to get ideas and advices

regards Mikki B)

I know this isn't farming, but you didn't limit it to farming, so despite the Forum title here's an idea for you: Buy (in your wife's name) one Rai near a college / university, build a single storey block of as many as possible single rooms with en-suite shower / toilet and rent them out to students. You need to put in a strong housekeeper and nightguard. Try and do a deal with the college to rent the rooms direct to them on a term by term basis.

Edited by WormFarmer

Buy a patch of land somewhere close to a uni or college. Build as many crappy little rooms as you can on it. Rent at 1000b a month.

There's 20,000b per month at least.

Any money spent here comes from rice - that is where the money is.

haha, thanks, that made me laugh.

I can certainly think of one trade that brings far more $$ to Isaan than the rice harvest. :)

Edited by thomo

DMAX

I look at the fish ponds and the frog farm that I built that everyone except me gets fish and frogs from;

I look at the abandoned pig house that I built;

I look at the place where the mushroom houses used to stand before it got windy;

I look at my neighbour's abandoned CP chicken ranch;

I look at the neighbour on the other side whose buffalos keep dying or being stolen that take 24 hr a day care;

I look through the weeds at the oil palm tree farm I paid for but eveyone's too <deleted> lazy to take care of;

I look at the tractors I bought for the family to use that they destroy every year (I have fun with them though)

I look at the 6 wheel truck I bought the family so that they could become rich as it sits rusting needing repairs.

And I don't live in that desert called Issan!

Best investment I ever made in this country was term deposits at the bank at a huge 3% minus tax and the condo which has doubled in price over the last 10 years.

The old girl has decided to get into the student rental thing as a couple of others have mentioned. I'll let you know how much money I lose on that...........

Edited by finner
  • Like 1

DMAX

I look at the fish ponds and the frog farm that I built that everyone except me gets fish and frogs from;

I look at the abandoned pig house that I built;

I look at the place where the mushroom houses used to stand before it got windy;

I look at my neighbour's abandoned CP chicken ranch;

I look at the neighbour on the other side whose buffalos keep dying or being stolen that take 24 hr a day care;

I look through the weeds at the oil palm tree farm I paid for but eveyone's too <deleted> lazy to take care of;

I look at the tractors I bought for the family to use that they destroy every year (I have fun with them though)

I look at the 6 wheel truck I bought the family so that they could become rich as it sits rusting needing repairs.

And I don't live in that desert called Issan!

Best investment I ever made in this country was term deposits at the bank at a huge 3% minus tax and the condo which has doubled in price over the last 10 years.

The old girl has decided to get into the student rental thing as a couple of others have mentioned. I'll let you know how much money I lose on that...........

Finner,

Can you provide any clues as too why all these wonderful creations of yours have not paid off?

Isaan Aussie

DMAX,

I take your request for ideas very seriously as I have walked down this road for several years and as others suggest it is not easy.

Firstly understand yourself and your needs. How much money do you need to enjoy a meaningful lifestyle each month? Whats important to you, the person you have always been and the person you may wish to become? What are you looking for in your future life? Can you find that in rural Isaan?

That may well seem pretty airey-fairy but I have met people such as us who are attracted to Isaan but dont understand themselves or the environment they have placed themselves in. There is a huge gulf between the consumer based societies we come from and the basic need to have rice to eat which is all many locals here strive for.

I suggest that your question should be, How much money can I make in Isaan? Or indeed, Can I make enough money here in Isaan? The important word is "I", you will have to make it happen.

Those that surround me, have always been content to work very hard at planting and harvesting times, or about two months, but do little else throughout the year to improve their circumstances. With a tame farang around their lives become easier, fertiliser can be paid for with someone elses cash, friends can be employed to help do their work and they can relax with a monthly income for doing little and enjoy enormous face. Why wouldn't they smile at you? Beware of the crocodiles.

Whatever you decide to do, understand the nature of incomes here. They are small, nothing here makes a fortune easily or quickly. People here are risk takers and will jump into anything new, yet those same people resist change and will walk away from the smallest of obstacles. What may have the enthusiastic support of everyone to start with may well just simply run out of steam when the hard work starts. Stay clear of anything that relies on others that cannot be replaced easily. You do not want any uneducated "keymen" becoming critical to your business.

Equipment and improvements should be considered balanced against doing things the traditional manual way. Yes good tools make life easier and improve results, but reality is that many of those using them don't own them so will not treat your things with any care.

So base your decision on where to look to generate an income solely on what level of effort you are personally prepared to put in. Treat any assistance you get, for as long as it lasts, as a plus and be prepared to have an alternative to fill the gaps as they occur.

For those that read this and think I'm a hard nosed SOB, your not thinking Thai style. I have been personally disappointed many times by others and have learnt that if I fail, its my own fault, not the fault of people I try to impose my standards and work ethic onto. Nothing is for nothing here, why should we think differently.

DMAX, I hope you can find the answer to you next question, "What can I do ..... For me the answer is to earn as much as possible from as many things as possible. I grow rice and raise pigs, and I work hard producing compost from their manure and the rice straw both for sale and to reduce fertiliser costs. There are fish in our pond and a worm farm in the pig sty. We eat our own mushrooms and vegetables. We have made bacon and sausages. I am attempting to establish a fully integrated farm with a minimum external expenditure and sufficient income to enjoy a happy and contented lifestyle.

Whatever your choice is, be sure of one thing, to be successful you will have to work hard.

Isaan Aussie

Issan Aussie

This is the best advice I have yet seen on farming in Thailand.

Sure you can make money IF you have enough land, IF you know what you are doing, IF you have good reliable people working for you.

On the other hand IF it all goes wrong what of you and your families future?

You could also win the lottery or not.

We have 20 rai of land over in central Thailand near Khampaeng Phet and we used to grow cassava and sometimes corn.

About 3 years ago I was seriously looking at another 80 rai and I could then become a "gentleman farmer".

Before we bought it my wife finally admitted that she was not and never could be a farmer so we didn't buy the land.

It seems as though that was the best decision we made.

I have looked into pig farming, tree farming etc and with the limited amount of land we have the only difference would be the time it took to lose money.

Now we rent the land out and are guaranteed a small but safe return, we have leased a small part to AIS for a cell site and we are not working from dawn to dusk 7 days a week wondering what lies around the corner waiting to bite us.

I have no experience, but some things that popped up in my head: First of, like others say, how much of a return are you looking for on that investment and how do you see that return grow? If you need say 10k a month for your wife/family, that 120k a year on a 2m investment. Quite good/high by many standards.

And that's disregarding any risk and hedging against that. As others suggested, are you perhaps better off researching investment opportunities/savings with banks, even a high interest savings account with your own home country bank?

I will assume instead that you're also looking for something to keep the family "busy". I would not put all my eggs in one basket, even if 2m is not a lot. And I would be careful that Thai people, IMHO, tend to look over the shoulder at what the neighbour is doing, as in "oh, they sell plastic brooms and seem to make good money so I'll do that too". That is, little originality or "market research".

With all that being said, here's what I would look into:

A local taxi/car hire service. For 2m you could pick a couple of second hand pickups, maybe even a people carrier also. Maybe some local schools need a van to pick up/drop off students. Locals who don't have a car, need one to take stuff to market etc. etc.

Are there any nearby transport hubs? How are they serviced...Rural taxi service is often scant and pricey. You could perhaps carve out something there.

Any nearby markets? What is being sold there? Is there anything that you could perhaps get from Bangkok (fashion) that would sell there? You can set up an exclusive deal with a wholesaler in Bangkok and simply order in bulk from a catalogue.

Micro loans. Locals often need a little money to invest or make ends meet or reach the next pay check. even having to avoid taking a long trek to the nearest bank/ATM. There will inevitably be loan sharks in operation. Of course, you should not become a loan shark, but you may be able to get a decent return even as an ethical lender. You need to research how to do this in a legit way.

With regards to land/property, it's hard to predict how this will pay off without comprehensive research. Student/Lo-co housing seems to be fashionable at the moment. I don't know if 2m is enough, though. Could be. But then it's all eggs in the proverbial basket. I guess the plus side is that you could raise more equity based on the assets you already have.

In all cases, I would seriously look into how that money could be made to grow anywhere but in rural Thailand first. Or invest 1m and do something else with the other 1m (do a long term stock purchase).

Except for personal consumption, stay away from rice paddies. You will loose money.

Money in Isaan is based on the rice industry. Any money spent here comes from rice - that is where the money is. I make good money from rice paddies.

Well I suppose the term "good money" is relative.

To satisfy my curiosity, can you please let me know how much profit you make per rai per year from rice paddies?

Lets throw some figures around to give us an insight as to what good money actually is, 6,000, 8,000, 10,000 or 10,000+ per year per rai profit.

I am not Thai, dont want to be Thai and certainly couldnt live like a Thai, I also couldnt involve myself in back breaking work to support a family on say 30,000 baht per month.

There have been many excellent replies on here from posters who have travelled down a well worn path.

If you are a philanthropist with money to burn as you take care of your wifes family, fine.

It would be too easy to turn this thread into the sort of discussions normally found elsewhere, but I will resist.

The other week I was upcountry, as mentioned before student accomodation seems to be flavour of the month just now, when you price up the cost of prime land

and construction costs it may well take 7 years before you even show a return on your money.

Another problem faced by many is location, most end up going to where the girls family is from, not where the opportunity to make money can be found.

Take a drive along highway 24 form Sung Noen heading towards Si Sa Ket, the road is crying out for decent service stations, there are a few scattered around

such as found at Pak Thong Chai, Chok Chai and Prasat, the rest are nothing more than mom and pop operations, basic at best would be how to describe them.

Another problem is cost of land, there is a reason land can be had for as low as 15,000 baht per rai.

Your best hope for a return may well be to spend some time on the road and purchase a few well located parcels of land, no more than say 300,000 baht per rai,

but about 6 or 7 and sit on them for at least 5 years, preferably 10.

My wife and I are still looking for land in a certain area, however most people want to sell it in a minimum of 10 rai plots, I am not a farmer, I dont have the time,

patience or inclanation to learn how to be. I have resigned myself to the fact if we purchase land it will be for peace and tranquility only, we will not make money from the land, I have no intention of working the land, I will put no money other than the purchase price into the land, it will be easier for me to let the locals do what they want

with the land, if they want to put fruit or rubber trees so be it, they can work the land and give me a certain % of what they make (I am under no illussions I will be lied to about what they made), it will save me taking care of the land.

FYI, a 2 million baht condo in Bangkok can be rented out for about 17 or 18,000 baht per month depending on location, how much will land purchased for 2 million baht in the back of beyond return you each month?

Another poster is thinking outside the box when he mentioned pick up vans, I dont know where you are, visa runs for farangs, daily Pattaya runs?

I dont visit this forum often, but when I do I find it full of pertinent information, and all I read proves to me I was correct when I made the desicion not to get involved with trying to make money from the land.

Best of luck to all who are able to do so, long may it continue for you, I dont need the sleepless nights or hassle.

Money in Isaan is based on the rice industry. Any money spent here comes from rice - that is where the money is. I make good money from rice paddies.

Well I suppose the term "good money" is relative.

To satisfy my curiosity, can you please let me know how much profit you make per rai per year from rice paddies?

Lets throw some figures around to give us an insight as to what good money actually is, 6,000, 8,000, 10,000 or 10,000+ per year per rai profit.

I do not own a lot of land - about 40 rai. I make most of my money out of contract work - tractor work, harvesting (about 2k rai/pa and increasing) and baling. Most of my work is done over 6 weeks and I make in excess of Bt1mill. The cost of living here (Sisaket) is very low so I am able to reinvest most of the returns.

I make most of my money out of contract work - tractor work, harvesting (about 2k rai/pa and increasing) and baling. Most of my work is done over 6 weeks and I make in excess of Bt1mill. The cost of living here (Sisaket) is very low so I am able to reinvest most of the returns.

Can I ask what the capital invested was, for a 1 mill+ p/a.

I might find myself living in Sisaket myself one day as the missus is from Kantharalak. :)

Edited by thomo

I make most of my money out of contract work - tractor work, harvesting (about 2k rai/pa and increasing) and baling. Most of my work is done over 6 weeks and I make in excess of Bt1mill. The cost of living here (Sisaket) is very low so I am able to reinvest most of the returns.

Can I ask what the capital invested was, for a 1 mill+ p/a.

I might find myself living in Sisaket myself one day as the missus is from Kantharalak. :)

An excellent question, the poster above beat me to it.

I would ask, is that 1 million gross or net profit after such tiresome things as tax, insurance, upkeep and servicing of plant have been carried out.

I assume you are in the plant hire business, apologises if I am wrong, but what sort of capital outlay was required for the purchase of said equipment?

Its always good to hear from someone " at the coal face" who can give an insight as to ROI.

I appreciate you may not want to divulge too much info for fear of competition, you are after all running a business not a charity, however, thanks for taking the time to reply and giving an insight as to whats actually available with a bit of due diligence, time and effort.

Best of luck to you, always good to hear of success stories.

Finner,

Can you provide any clues as too why all these wonderful creations of yours have not paid off?

Isaan Aussie

Well, in the first place, IA, none of these creations were my idea except for buying a couple of used 20 Hp tractors for my own enjoyment. Luckily I like working on them when they get trashed so all is not lost. All the ideas were generated by the family to get rich and I thought well it seemed like a good idea at the time (and I still think so actually) but as someone posted earlier, rural people seem to be happy working two or three months a year, then their enthusiasm seems to wane.

Secondly, the fish and frog ponds were located too far away from the house, hence free fish and frogs for closer neighbours, third, lack of a committed family member to take charge, eg the older brother working as a painter in Bangkok who wanted to return home and had a great idea to use a 6 wheel truck, made money till repairs were needed, parked it and became a painter in the village for falangs building houses. I don't like working on 6 wheel trucks so it sits beside the house as a great reminder to all and sundry not to ask the local village idiot (me) not to provide dough for any more "sure thing" schemes.

Other than that, I'm having fun and learn more about human nature every day. Been here 30 years already and no 2 days are ever the same.

Oh yeah, forgot about the mushroom houses. They were built in a windy location while I was away for a couple of months. Wood frame construction with that black mesh sunshield stuff covering them. Didn't last a month.

Finner,

Isaan Aussie

Well, in the first place, IA, none of these creations were my idea except for buying a couple of used 20 Hp tractors for my own enjoyment. Luckily I like working on them when they get trashed so all is not lost. All the ideas were generated by the family to get rich and I thought well it seemed like a good idea at the time (and I still think so actually) but as someone posted earlier, rural people seem to be happy working two or three months a year, then their enthusiasm seems to wane.

Secondly, the fish and frog ponds were located too far away from the house, hence free fish and frogs for closer neighbours, third, lack of a committed family member to take charge, eg the older brother working as a painter in Bangkok who wanted to return home and had a great idea to use a 6 wheel truck, made money till repairs were needed, parked it and became a painter in the village for falangs building houses. I don't like working on 6 wheel trucks so it sits beside the house as a great reminder to all and sundry not to ask the local village idiot (me) not to provide dough for any more "sure thing" schemes.

Other than that, I'm having fun and learn more about human nature every day. Been here 30 years already and no 2 days are ever the same.

Oh yeah, forgot about the mushroom houses. They were built in a windy location while I was away for a couple of months. Wood frame construction with that black mesh sunshield stuff covering them. Didn't last a month.

Finner,

I have something which you may enjoy then, a 28HP Iseki 4WD tractor with a broken hydraulic pump and various other problems. Please feel free to tinker again, or maybe you can give me some advice on where to get parts and a decent tractor mechanic.

I made reference to the 2-3 month work year earlier. Your reference to the Family Leading Hand or rather the lack of one, I believe is a key problem to most of us. I also believe that the combination of the two issues causes many people to chew up capital by sitting waiting for others to either get motivated enough to work or to have finished planting/harvesting.

To DMAX, these are not small issues and make me hasten to add that Isaan is seasonal, driven by the single rain fed rice crop. Everything is effected by the economics of rice to some extent. Whatever you chose to invest in plan around the effects of what happens every year in your area.

Isaan Aussie

dmax

Have you considered cassava? Easy to grow, grows anywhere, and I understand demand is increasing. Lots of info on this site

Issanaussie

That's a nice little tractor you have there. I assume it's the 3 point hitch pump you're talking about? Probably not broken. Here's a website for you

http://www.hoyetractor.com/brokenlift.htm

DMAX,

I would like to add a word of caution on following popular trends of investment such as machinery and contracting.

I purchased my second hand tractor a few years ago to support what I am doing, not to make money ploughing for other people. No-one in my village had ever seen a rotary cultivator. At that time there was one Ford 6610 in the area that was always busy and demanded a decent rate per hour. The operator was brilliant so he represented good value. I hired a team of tractors and an excavator to clear a 12 rai plot, again good machines and operators. Again not cheap but exactly what I wanted done. As for rice harvesters, there wasn't any around.

But that was then. Today the situation is different, having imagined the "fortunes" made by the original few, the many have become tractor operators flooding the market with cheap contractors. The rates are half what they were and competition is fierce. Given Finner's comments on abandoned equipment when in need of repair, the ease of finance and lack of market research of most Thais, the almost total lack of any preventative or even regular maintenance and the complete disrespect shown to machinery, investing in farm equipment for your Thai family to operate and make money is a fantasy.

Be wary of investing in this type of enterprise. If you are going to do so then with respect you will need to follow PN's lead and do it professionally. That will need more capital than you have nominated to establish and even more to develop a market and maintain the equipment. Prepare the ground, harvest the rice, and then bale the straw. Great business model, good returns but constant hard work and investment. Yes, lesser equipment will do the job maybe, but spending half the day pulling bogged harvesters out doesn't make money in such a short and intense season.

As a related issue, student housing has been mentioned. When I first visited Isaan some ten years ago, I was amazed at the number of shop-house complexes that were being built in the most unlikely spots. Years later many are still unoccupied, some uncompleted and even some abandoned. Whilst there were very good taxation benefits for the rich during this time as the government attempted to decentralise, many where pure folly. I wonder how many people building student accommodation have actually studied the project in depth? Number of rooms by the rate per month way of calculating ROI and hence investment decisions seems a little thin to me.

DMAX, there is nothing wrong with playing follow the leader but make sure the leader knows what he is doing!

Isaan Aussie

dmax

Have you considered cassava? Easy to grow, grows anywhere, and I understand demand is increasing. Lots of info on this site

Issanaussie

That's a nice little tractor you have there. I assume it's the 3 point hitch pump you're talking about? Probably not broken. Here's a website for you

http://www.hoyetract.../brokenlift.htm

Dont I wish! No main pump is shot. As it was in 2008

post-56811-063018200 1285536747_thumb.jp

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/400922-weak-us-dollar-is-a-big-threat-to-the-baht-and-thai-economy/

This is an article well worth reading for anyone investing domestically in Thailand, especially in farming. I believe the implications will reach isolated and impoverished Isaan as quickly as elsewhere.

Whilst a strong Thai baht will help keep feed costs down, the prices for produce will fall as exporters flood the domestic market to adjust position. A food company planning to grow out pork for export may well decide to dump weaned pigs, reducing local prices to the small producer. Those grown under contract will attract lower prices. Current finished stock in Isaan, already under slight pressure with export bans to Cambodia (PRRS) producing an over supply when domestic consumption (seasonal farmer cash position) is down.

Much of the "family provided" income comes from young people working in labour intensive industries involved in exports. Those exports diminish, incomes here go down, more unemployed mouths to feed, less cash to spend and increased bad debts.

The "Money Tree Farangs" that have external incomes will see those reduced even further due to the high and increasing value of the Thai baht.

Obviously, this situation will provide opportunities for those who have cash reserves and can ride out a storm looking for bargains and importing cheaper goods. Good luck to the well heeled and the careful planners. To the rest of us, well lemmings, the cliff could be only a step away.

Isaan Aussie

I must say, I'm really impressed by the many excellent posts in this thread. This truly has been one of the most informative threads I have seen on TV!

Many thanks to all that have contributed such excellent information! :jap:

To the OP, I hope you understand just some of the pitfalls. You won't get rich, maybe you will just be able to survive. Only if you do a lot of study, learn quickly, work hard, commit to a huge amount of dedication, and take control. By all means get rid of those rose colored glasses. Of course the family will have all these great money making schemes that will drain your pocketbooks. Ask yourself, if there are all these great potentials to make it big, then why is Isaan one of the most impoverished areas of Thailand? Don't abandon your existing forms of income. You will need it.

Even in the western world, you need to plan on 5 years before you make a profit with a new enterprise. Most new start-ups fail during the first year of operation. Usually because not enough funds/resources were set aside to support it, until it could start generating revenue.

Farming the world over is a difficult business. It's the only business you pay retail for your materials, transportation and services; only to sell your finished product for wholesale. It's fast becoming a business only for big corporations, the small farmer doesn't stand a chance. ;)

Edited by BB1950