Is This What Your Teenager Is Up To On Their Gap Year? Graphic Dispatch Reveals The Dangerous Reality Of What'S Meant To Be A Cultural Experience

Boater

Were it not for the waves of green, clinking beer bottles, you’d think the hundreds of inert ­bodies strewn along the shore had washed up dead.

Behind them, many more youngsters are slumped, their heads between their knees, ­vomiting into the sand.

Then there are the men ­urinating in the sea and an array of naked couples bobbing up and down in the water. The sordid scene is lit by a beautiful, white full moon. But then this is the Full Moon Party on Thailand’s Koh Phangan island — the most renowned and revered experience on every backpacker’s itinerary.

article-1315038-0B54750B000005DC-214_472x376.jpg Popular: The Full Moon Party on Thailand’s Koh Phangan island is a must for all backpackers

Every month, 10,000 youngsters gather here and many of them are British middle-class school leavers for whom a trip to Thailand — and the rich cultural experiences it has to offer — has become a rite of passage.

Well, that’s what their parents would hope as they wave their offspring off at the airport.

But the sad reality includes ­spectacles such as this on Haad Rin beach.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1315038/Is-THIS-teenager-gap-year-Graphic-dispatch-reveals-dangerous-reality.html#ixzz10VQODoT8

Debauchery at its finniest. Don't you just love it. Great advertisement for tourism.:ph34r:

‘My friend had to sit outside on the step and wait.’ Roland, also 19, privately educated, and from ­Exeter, adds proudly: ‘I’ve had a threesome with two Aussie girls.’

:rolleyes:

Are they allowed to advertise "Black Cock"? :D

Hel_l I bet if we all had access to the money when we finished school/college we'd have done similar.

The hope is that they get it out of their system when they are young and then settle down to real life. Some will do it and some won't, partying in Thailand won't change that.

Would it be better if they all waited until their fifties before engaging in such activity.

Okay, some do but that's what Pattaya is for. :ermm:

• Like 1

The Daily Mail could find the same (or worst) picture outside any British club or party or happening without travel for 10.000 Km.

WIsh I was 40 years younger....we have all done the same or worse when we were their age. Just it was not so comercial then and was more likely to involve a couple of bottles of Mekong and some ggreen stuff on the same beach.

Are they allowed to advertise "Black Cock"? :D

Hel_l I bet if we all had access to the money when we finished school/college we'd have done similar.

The hope is that they get it out of their system when they are young and then settle down to real life. Some will do it and some won't, partying in Thailand won't change that.

Would it be better if they all waited until their fifties before engaging in such activity.

Okay, some do but that's what Pattaya is for. :ermm:

Are they allowed to advertise "Black Cock"?

i was a bit surprised they show that picture to, pretty sure the PC brigade will be onto thailand now

"local liqueur Samsong" - First time I've heard it referred to as a liqueur ! :)

As to the rest, apart from the drugs aspect, just young people having fun and a bit of shock horror titillation for Daily Mail readers. I'm pleasantly surprised the accident statistics aren't considerably higher than reported in the article.

Go to any town or city on a weekend in the UK and you will see much worse behaviour and a great deal more violence. Just for once I would love to read of a positive article on Thailand as every one I read is always full of the negative things that happen here.

The Daily Mail could find the same (or worst) picture outside any British club or party or happening without travel for 10.000 Km.

Exactly my thoughts.

According to reports in the UK newspapers, Freshers Week is far worst - just not so many people, and colder.

and younger

In Australia I think half the kids are 16 or less.

I bet they have exactly the same thing on the mexicovisa.com Forum but with the Yank Teens, who pass out on half a bottle of beer & are slumped with their heads in between their knee's ( probably still talking & knowing it all ) on the second Glass of Vodka.....:rolleyes: .

I bet they have exactly the same thing on the mexicovisa.com Forum but with the Yank Teens, who pass out on half a bottle of beer & are slumped with their heads in between their knee's ( probably still talking & knowing it all ) on the second Glass of Vodka.....:rolleyes: .

Well done, that one made me laugh :cheesy::cheesy:

Well done, that one made me laugh :cheesy::cheesy:

tequila but head between whose knees

Debauchery at its finniest. Don't you just love it. Great advertisement for tourism.:ph34r:

typical daily mail. another way of twisting the news is that 10 000 people go to full moon a small percentage get vomite and get into fights.

even smaller get raped and killed.

but out of the 10 000 tourist a time. 1 time a month every month every year on 2 crashes involving 40 people and 18.

if you do some maths. there is 10 000 people per month 120 000 people a year. so every 10 years 1.2 million people.

So statistally. about 5 % get into fights and vomite and pass out. the other 1` per cent might get into a boat crash and anout 0.5 per cent migth get raped and killed. the other 94.5 % might have been having fun and enjoying yourselves.

hence Daily Mail readers run England. hence having fun is nearly totally banned and illegal.

well done daily mail. Taking the mike out of people celebrating freedome.

perosnally i don't go full moon. well not for about 8 years. it is not my thing any more. though i am not against people enjoying themsleves.

Corr the Daily Mail. reminde me so much of england. playing football on a freen patch of graass on my estate with a sign saying NO BALL GAMES.

if u go every time for 10 years u hav 1 in 20689 chances in being in a boat crash

Edited by BigC

I went to the last Full Moon Party and it really isn't as crazy as the Daily Mail are making out. Nobody offered me any drugs and the party finished relatevely earlier compared to places like Ibiza. Don't get me wrong - I had a great time ;)

• Like 1

For several decades In the USA there is something called Spring Break where the kids go to the beaches of Florida & Texas (and probably Mexico for Californians) to do the same as the FMP. MTV (as in Music Television) "broadcasts" live from the beaches every year.

Back to the article - I like that the map they show doesn't even have KPG on it.

Edited by koheesti

I went to the last Full Moon Party and it really isn't as crazy as the Daily Mail are making out. Nobody offered me any drugs and the party finished relatevely earlier compared to places like Ibiza. Don't get me wrong - I had a great time ;)

if peoples parents think that there kids are going travelling round the world and are going to sit round a camp fire cooking mash mellows. then the parents are obviuosly stupid and should not have kids in the first place. no offense to mash mellows. they are tastey. my point is that horomones will out come any up bringing or education.

The Daily mail sound like they made it look more fun than it actually is.

i wonder what there take on south london is ?

if peoples parents think that there kids are going travelling round the world and are going to sit round a camp fire cooking mash mellows. then the parents are obviuosly stupid and should not have kids in the first place. no offense to mash mellows. they are tastey. my point is that horomones will out come any up bringing or education.

The Daily mail sound like they made it look more fun than it actually is.

i wonder what there take on south london is ?

i bet that reporters cant get south of the river :)