Udon Thani, A Thai Region Where Husbands Are Imported

webfact

A Thai Region Where Husbands Are Imported

Justin Mott for The New York Times

UDON, THAILAND: -- The most dazzling creatures Nui Davis saw when she was a child were the village girls who had found foreign husbands, visiting in their Western finery and handing out candies to the children.

“For me, they were like a princess,” she said. “And I kept those pictures in my mind, and I made a wish that one day I would like to be one of those ladies.”

Today, at the age of 30, she lives with her husband, Joseph Davis of Fresno, California, in an air-conditioned, three-bedroom house with a driveway and basketball hoop, surrounded by flower beds and a well-kept lawn.

Full story: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/25/world/asia/25iht-thai.html

The New York Times

Asia Pacific

--2010-09-25

footer_n.gif

“Thai women are a lot like women in America were 50 years ago,” said Mr. Davis, before they discovered their rights and became “strong-headed and opinionated.”

“The women now know they are equal,” said Mr. Davis, a retired Naval officer who has been divorced twice, “so the situation is not as relaxed and peaceful as it is between an American and a Thai lady.”

You know what...I take it back, some people deserve to be tricked out of all of their money...

The women now know they are equal, said Mr. Davis, a retired Naval officer who has been divorced twice, so the situation is not as relaxed and peaceful as it is between an American and a Thai lady.

:lol: :lol:

He must be a real catch.

Quite acerbic posts so far :blink::blink: ....Ever been there??

Edited by Phuket Stan

It makes me laugh everytime I read posts from people who talk about a fool and his money are soon parted, assuming that the fool in question has married a hooker or another bad un, not of course that these virtuous souls wives were anything other than vestial virgins when they married them.:lol:B) .

every guy i know that has come to thailand has left with yellow fever... and now either come to thai all the time to look for a thai gf or have an asian gf back home!!! must be saying something about western women???

Don't understand... Western men come to Thailand, meet Eastern women...

must be saying something about.... daschounds; elephants' african ladies; south american boys...

No; I think maybe it is saying something about Western Men.

Or Maybe its saying Eff-all about Eff-all but I think its saying Eff-nothing about Eff-nothing

SC

It makes me laugh everytime I read posts from people who talk about a fool and his money are soon parted, assuming that the fool in question has married a hooker or another bad un, not of course that these virtuous souls wives were anything other than vestial virgins when they married them.:lol:B) .

I think you meant "vestigal virgins"

The virgins that are left when all those that can get a shag have done so

Oh, I wish I'd thought of that!

SC

... the article eventually stopped being so lighthearted and "bouncy"... and got down to the meat on the bone... lol

---------------------------

While the men — many of them retired and living on pensions, many disappointed in their lives and marriages at home — may be seeking an emotional connection, the women are generally motivated by economics, said Mr. Prayoon, who provides counseling for mixed couples.

“For some ladies it is just money, money, money,” he said. “Getting married has become a business more than love. People want to improve their social status. Sometimes these ladies spend the husband’s money, use it all, then he’s cut out. There are many cases like that.”

Even though many men are retired and living on a fixed income, they are expected to help support their wives’ extended families, beginning with a dowry of several thousand dollars.

“When you get married in Thailand you are marrying the whole family, the whole village,” Mr. Prayoon said. “Often the lady expects that, but the man doesn’t understand.”

-------------------------------

maybe not at first...!

It is all our own fault, as usual.

Let's step back and examine the situation objectively. There are clearly two aspects. Since I have been divorced not 2, but 3 times, I surely have some experience.

Females perspective. In most cases seekers of 'true love, hand in hand forever, take care of me, love my family, good woman, very open minded, hates lies', etc.

Translated into real terms this often means 'give me presents, don't spend your money on other women, until you die or go back to...wherever, buy a house, give money to my extended family, don't tell lies to me, but listen to mine, I am virtuous with 2-3 children and no husband to point out, I am 35 with children older than 18, I have no children, but live with kids, etc.

Males perspective. In most cases seekers of 'true love convalescence after past life disasters, happy-go-lucky with the youngest sexiest girl in sight, love me as I am and never mind the 3 times age difference, etc.

International perspective. Thai women are no different from any other lot. Marriage has become a business exercise everywhere, as there is money to be made out of it.

Prostitution is a second oldest profession in man's history. It is also clean cut, down to earth and honest.

You know how much, how long and what for. 'Marriage prostitution' is more costly in many terms, but legally is supported, because, as said above, there is money to be made of it by legal pros.

Resume. Can we all (men and women) win, or at least not lose so badly?

Emotionally, - NO.

Financially, - YES. Think with your heads instead. Stop paying to equal partners for mutual services.

Think not only why you want her, but why she wants you. More questions at the start save a lot of hurt at the finish. And finish it will. Always:) .