Translation Help

mikenyork

I would like some help with a quote from Buddhadasa Phiksu

‎"ช่วยจนตายก็ไร้ผล ถ้าคนมันไม่มีศีลธรรม"-พุทธทาสภิกษุ

Helping (others) is fruitless if those helped have no morals.

What do you think?

The exercise of helping the poor is fruitless if the poor person has no morality or the helper has no morality?

My money is on the poor person having no morality -as written

There is also a reference to the dead.However they only get a brief mention.

The exercise of helping the poor is fruitless if the poor person has no morality or the helper has no morality?

My money is on the poor person having no morality -as written

There is also a reference to the dead.However they only get a brief mention.

In this case, I believe จน is a conjunction (until) otherwise I think ช่วยจนตาย would describe what Dr. Kervorkian does.

Correct translation.

คุณรักโลกครับ

‎"ช่วยจนตายก็ไร้ผล ถ้าคนมันไม่มีศีลธรรม"

วลี "จนตาย" อ้างอิงถึงคนที่ได้รับความช่วยเหลือ หรือคนที่ให้ความช่วยเหลือ?

In this case, I believe จน is a conjunction (until) otherwise I think ช่วยจนตาย would describe what Dr. Kervorkian does.

Given that จน is a a preposition( I think it is more a preposition rather than a conjunction ) plus the คนมัน reference ,then this changes things a bit

Also คนมัน is derogatory

It is now saying(I think):

Helping until death is pointless-if the victim has no morality

I struggle to see any Dr. Kervorkian overtones

คนมัน

Edited by Delight

How about "Helping others, even for their entire lives, will be fruitless if they have no morals." This is being pretty free and easy with the original, but I think adequately conveys the thought. What I still don't like about it is that it lacks the "punch" of the original. It's reasonably clear (thanks to the help of OP'sjap.gif. But it lacks panache.smile.gif

How about "Helping others, even for their entire lives, will be fruitless if they have no morals." This is being pretty free and easy with the original, but I think adequately conveys the thought. What I still don't like about it is that it lacks the "punch" of the original. It's reasonably clear (thanks to the help of OP'sjap.gif. But it lacks panache.smile.gif

Friends,

I am still experiencing antecedent cognitive dissonance. We have two pronouns here< "their" and "they". As to the second, it is fairly clear the the antecedent is the helpee, not the helper. As to the first, however, it is unclear to me as to whether "their" refers to the unstated helper or the stated helpee. Interesting, that the helpee is also referred to by a non-specific noun, "others".

"ช่วยจนตายก็ไร้ผล ถ้าคนมันไม่มีศีลธรรม"

How about, "God helps those who help themselves." That's pithy enough.

Edited by DavidHouston

Friends,

I am still experiencing antecedent cognitive dissonance. We have two pronouns here< "their" and "they". As to the second, it is fairly clear the the antecedent is the helpee, not the helper. As to the first, however, it is unclear to me as to whether "their" refers to the unstated helper or the stated helpee. Interesting, that the helpee is also referred to by a non-specific noun, "others".

"ช่วยจนตายก็ไร้ผล ถ้าคนมันไม่มีศีลธรรม"

How about, "God helps those who help themselves." That's pithy enough.

ช่วยจนตายก็ไร้ผล refers to the helper. If you try to help someone until you die(implies that you help with all of abilities you have), it's still useless, if that one has no morality.

Correct translation.

คุณรักโลกครับ

‎"ช่วยจนตายก็ไร้ผล ถ้าคนมันไม่มีศีลธรรม"

วลี "จนตาย" อ้างอิงถึงคนที่ได้รับความช่วยเหลือ หรือคนที่ให้ความช่วยเหลือ?

คุณเดวิดครับ

"จน" น่าจะย่อมาจาก "จนกระทั่ง"

จนตาย = จนกระทั่งตาย

"จนตาย/จนกระทั่งตาย" น่าจะเป็นวลีที่หมายถึง "ยาวนานมาก"

ถ้านำเอาวลี "ยาวนานมาก" ไปแทนที่ "จนตาย" ในประโยค

ก็คงจะเป็นดังนี้

(คุณ/ใครก็ตาม)ช่วย(ผู้อื่น)ยาวนานมาก(แค่ไหน)ก็ไร้ผล ถ้าคน(/ผู้ที่ถูกช่วย)มันไร้ศีลธรรม

ถ้าเป็นอย่างที่ผมว่า คงไม่ต้องสงสัยแล้วว่าคนไหนตายกันแน่

วลีไทยๆที่ลงท้านด้วยคำว่าตาย เช่น

คุณเดวิดดีจะตาย = คุณเดวิดเป็นคนดีมากๆ

ฉันจะบ้าตาย = ฉันโกรธมาก/ฉันไม่พอใจมาก ฯลฯ จะแปลว่ายังไงต้องดูที่สถานการณ์นั้นๆ

Edited by rakloke
  • Like 2

How about "no matter how much you try, you can't change them if they are lacking morals." I guess this is what พุทธทาสภิกษุ wanted to say. Buddhism can not get through to those who don't know the difference between right and wrong. I might be wrong. This is just what I get from the message.

Edited by Luukhin

คุณรักโลกครับ

ขอบคุณที่ตอบมา ผมก็ทราบอยู่แล้วว่า "จะตาย" หมายถึง "มาก" เช่น "เก่งจะตาย" "สวยจะตาร" และนี้เป็นอุปมาอุปไมยที่คล้ายกับวลีตาษาอังกฤษ "to die for". แต่ประโยคที่อ้างถึงเขียนว่า "ช่วยจนตาย" แล้วคำว่า "จน" ไม่เหมือนคำว่า "จะ" แต่ปรากฏว่าผมเข้าใจผิด และ วลี "ช่วยจนตาย" หมายถึง "ช่วยจะตาย" ขอบคุนครับที่แก้ไขความผิดพลาดของผม

Edited by DavidHouston