Shipping A (Relatively) Cheap Phone W/ Sim Card To Thailand

rsn

...from the U.S. The phone is for my mother-in-law to use on her upcoming journey to the U.S. It will be helpful in case she finds herself in a bind (or lost) and needs help from us since she doesn't speak and English whatsoever. The phone is a tri-band w/ 3G/UMTS model from 2007 and was purchased for about $55. The SIM card is, well, a "world" SIM card.

So, how can I ship this to Thailand and still track it (in case it is "lost") without being subjected to taxes/fees by Thai customs? What are my best options?

My wife and I just returned from our trip to the U.S. I took my T-Mobile Motorola SIM card phone that I brought to Thailand in 2006 and my wife took her Samsung SIM card phone she bought here in Thailand.

First day in the U.S. we bought new SIM cards, unlimited use for a month $50,were good to go.

So you might consider simply buying a SIM card, activating it, and then sending the SIM over here since the Thai phones are usable in the U.S.

Another option would be an calling card. I had a delay in Korea one time when I needed to call Thailand, so I bought a card for Korean service and used the code to make the call. There must be similar pay as you go cards for US service that you MIL could use.

Simple registered letter should get both to Thailand with no customs involvement.

I agree with Noise. I used my Thai phone in Michigan this year. Popped out the Thai sim and popped in a prepaid one that I bought for $20 at Best Buy. I was good for the week I was there. Just send her the activated sim. You can track it using any carrier, UPS, Fedex. It will get through just fine, no customs on a used sim. They probably won't even open it. The phone is more likely to be taken.

I can assure you that I will need to send a phone to Thailand, in addition to a SIM card. I'll spare everyone the details and say that I'm actually looking for advice regarding shipment of a phone & a SIM card to Thialand. I would like to avoid paying taxes/duties. Can anyone suggest a reliable way to do this?

If your M-I-L can't speak a word of English how is she going to handle the menus on a phone that are all in English? Wouldn't she be better of getting the phone in Thailand. At least then it would have the option of menus in Thai.

Menus? She isn't going to be checking her email on the phone. If you can hold down a numbered key, you can use a phone.

Personally I would mail it in a USPS flat rate envelope, free at the post office, just pad it well. Flat cost to Thailand is about $12.90 or so, cheaper if you print your postage on line. Takes 6-10 days. I have sent these numerous times with different things and they seem to sail through customs with no duties asked for. G'luck.

Send her 2000b soshe can get the bus to the nearest big town and buy a phone for 800bht from BigC. sounds like the cheapest easiest option. Are you not meeting her in the USA? is Nobody Meeting her from the airport? Can't the "greeting party" take the phone with them?

I know you are sparing us the details, but it sounds fishy. If MIL doesn't speak any English, someone is meeting her on arrival. Send that person the phone, and let the airline be responsible for getting her off the plane and she can surely find her way out of the airport. (follow the long line of people getting off the big shiny metal bird...) :blink:

someone MUST have advice based on personal experience regarding shipment of a phone...

Perhaps people prefer not to take such a backward approach.

As someone suggested it is much better to send the SIM and have her buy phone in Thailand if she does not already have one.

Another option for most people traveling from Thailand is just use your Thai phone and SIM. I have used mine roaming to most major countries around the world. Once I get to my destination and plan on staying a while I then buy local SIM.

someone MUST have advice based on personal experience regarding shipment of a phone...

Will you be shipping a significant amount of "silly-putty" at the same time in the same parcel as the phone?

SC

plastacine for the nephews and neices. and some wire for the uncle who is an computer repair man. A blasting cap for the cousin who is starting a new mining business... I think we've cracked it

I can assure you that I will need to send a phone to Thailand, in addition to a SIM card. I'll spare everyone the details and say that I'm actually looking for advice regarding shipment of a phone & a SIM card to Thialand. I would like to avoid paying taxes/duties. Can anyone suggest a reliable way to do this?

duties on the phone would be pennies... whats the big deal?

If u are really desperate send in in a book with the pages cut out to fit the phone. wrap it in cellophane and rub some cayenne pepper into the outside3 edge pages of the book.

send it to an empty address near your MIL's house that she can stake out for a few days before grabbing the package...

Sorry, wrong forum. :ph34r:

Perhaps people prefer not to take such a backward approach.

As someone suggested it is much better to send the SIM and have her buy phone in Thailand if she does not already have one.

Another option for most people traveling from Thailand is just use your Thai phone and SIM. I have used mine roaming to most major countries around the world. Once I get to my destination and plan on staying a while I then buy local SIM.

Your approach is actually quite backwards and you obviously have little to no knowledge of cellular standards and technology. Suppose she is flying through Tokyo and she needs to reach us? Can you tell me what phones will work on a network in Japan? If you answered: "most phones in Thailand" you would be wrong. To transit through Europe without any issues, you are better off with a GSM 900/1800 phone. When in baggage claim or before immigration in the U.S., your phone will need to be 850/1900. In Japan and S. Korea, none of those will work as those countries do not have GSM networks. A phone capable of UMTS on the 2100 MHz band is required.

Now that I've given you some well-needed education, perhaps you can think before you post in the future. Thanks!

I agree that it would be easier to mail the SIM and then have the MiL purchase GSM900/1800/1900/2100 phone here. e.g. Nokia 3120 Classic. But if you must send the phone/SIM then I'd use USPS PMI Flat-Rate Box ; under 4 lbs $13.45 and declare the contents and value. Or use shipitto. I don't see any way to avoid duty/taxes, although there are many reports that these are sometimes not collected, or are reasonable.

BTW, you should tell your MiL that she should not use her phone in the Immigration Hall when arriving in the U.S. as this is strictly prohibited and the phone can be confiscated, after Immigration, in the baggage claim area it is acceptable.

Edited by lomatopo

Why not just buy the SIM card and send it. If she already has a phone she can change the SIM card as one person said.

Please read my response to ballbreakers wonderfully thought out post. This goes for everyone else who decided to answer a question I did not ask without all of the information required. To those who actually answered my question, thanks.

I agree that it would be easier to mail the SIM and then have the MiL purchase GSM900/1800/1900 phone here. But if you must send the phone/SIM then I'd use USPS PMI Flat-Rate Box ; under 4 lbs $13.45 and declare the contents and value. Or use shipitto. I don't see any way to avoid duty/taxes, although there are many reports that these are sometimes not collected, or are reasonable.

A GSM-only phone will not work at stop-over points in Japan or S. Korea.

Will you be shipping a significant amount of "silly-putty" at the same time in the same parcel as the phone?

SC

plastacine for the nephews and neices. and some wire for the uncle who is an computer repair man. A blasting cap for the cousin who is starting a new mining business... I think we've cracked it

Is his MIL a prominent politician?

I often carry large quantities of "soap powder" or "laundry detergent", and have never been asked to pay duty or GST on it - which could run to a substantial sum of money, if charged at the full retail value to the consumer

SC

Why not just buy the SIM card and send it. If she already has a phone she can change the SIM card as one person said.

Please read my response to ballbreakers wonderfully thought out post. This goes for everyone else who decided to answer a question I did not ask without all of the information required. To those who actually answered my question, thanks.

Break the phone and ship it as scrap with nil value. She can get it repaired here.

SC

• Like 1

Break the phone and ship it as scrap with nil value. She can get it repaired here.

SC

That actually made me cry. Brilliant! :D

I edited my post to include a UMTS2100 model as I did not pick up on your requirement at first. It is very easy to buy a 4-band model here, as there are dozens of models available used and new. My shipping recommendations remain, and maybe try to relax a bit and not jump down everyone's throat? Just ignore the irrelevant posts.

To the OP, I've done exactly what you're asking about...with no custom or duty... So I'm only going to address the mailing issues.

The best way to mail is to use U.S. Postal Service either Priority or Express International...

DO NOT use FedEx or DHL or UPS, or you're very likely to get hit with a bunch of costly fees, VAT, duty, handling, etc. etc.

Even though it may be cheaper, for mailing a cell phone, I would NOT use the U.S.P.S. flat rate Priority envelope or small box, even though the phone might fit in them, because they are not trackable.... Regular Priority mail mailings are, but the Priority flat rate envelope and small box are not... Check the U.S.P.S. web site.

If you go U.S.P.S., the package will be delivered in Thailand by the regular mail man.... and more than likely, with no duty or tax at all... especially if it might be a refurbished or already used phone... even if just "used" by you for testing before sending... You're better off if the phone can be considered used by the time you send it.

On the customs form, make sure you classify the package as a gift, not merchandise.

I agree that it would be easier to mail the SIM and then have the MiL purchase GSM900/1800/1900/2100 phone here. e.g. Nokia 3120 Classic. But if you must send the phone/SIM then I'd use USPS PMI Flat-Rate Box ; under 4 lbs $13.45 and declare the contents and value. Or use shipitto. I don't see any way to avoid duty/taxes, although there are many reports that these are sometimes not collected, or are reasonable.

BTW, you should tell your MiL that she should not use her phone in the Immigration Hall when arriving in the U.S. as this is strictly prohibited and the phone can be confiscated, after Immigration, in the baggage claim area it is acceptable.

Thank you. Finally a relevant post in a sea of nonsense. Some people on here really need a different hobby.

Regarding the phone, I already have a suitable phone, and I'm not sure my MIL would be able to easily locate or pick the right one up. So, I figured I would ship it to her to make things a bit easier. Regarding the immigration hall warning, you are correct. I intended to use it before customs in the baggage claim area only, in addition to her stopovers.

I edited my post to include a UMTS2100 model as I did not pick up on your requirement at first. It is very easy to buy a 4-band model here, as there are dozens of models available used and new. My shipping recommendations remain, and maybe try to relax a bit and not jump down everyone's throat? Just ignore the irrelevant posts.

Don't let people tell you what to do. Be your own man. Jump down people's throats if you want; we'd not post facetious comments if we didn't think they'd wind you up.

Thank you very much for an entertaining thread, and working so hard on keeping it so

SC

To the OP, I've done exactly what you're asking about...with no custom or duty... So I'm only going to address the mailing issues.

The best way to mail is to use U.S. Postal Service either Priority or Express International...

DO NOT use FedEx or DHL or UPS, or you're very likely to get hit with a bunch of costly fees, VAT, duty, handling, etc. etc.

Even though it may be cheaper, for mailing a cell phone, I would NOT use the U.S.P.S. flat rate Priority envelope or small box, even though the phone might fit in them, because they are not trackable.... Regular Priority mail mailings are, but the Priority flat rate envelope and small box are not... Check the U.S.P.S. web site.

If you go U.S.P.S., the package will be delivered in Thailand by the regular mail man.... and more than likely, with no duty or tax at all... especially if it might be a refurbished or already used phone... even if just "used" by you for testing before sending... You're better off if the phone can be considered used by the time you send it.

On the customs form, make sure you classify the package as a gift, not merchandise.

Thank you VERY much! I sincerely appreciate your input, and you have certainly helped me out. Take care.

Good luck with that... I had a deal on a cell phone from the U.S. that I simply couldn't obtain or match here... so the cost of mailing was more than offset by the value of my purchase... And the phone was a quad band GSM and UMTS, so I'd know that I could use it, in theory, anywhere in the world on GSM providers.

On a related matter, the OP's situation raises a good question about for those who WANT to use their Thai SIM abroad, what's the best carrier to use for International roaming...

I'm not sure, but maybe the answer is none... I had some international travel to a couple of countries in the past year, and set up international roaming for my True SIM, no extra cost...just added the capacity for free. However, the price per minute used, which varies by country, was REALLY expensive... something between $1 and $2 per minute...

I only wanted that for use in an emergency, and didn't need to use it at all. But you've got to be careful your phone doesn't try to automatically connect for data and such when you turn it on, or you could be faced when you get back home with an unexpectedly large bill...

I'm wondering, do any of the Thai carriers have international roaming packages that are good value in any sense of the word???

Sounds like the MiL is a bit "senior" to be making the journey alone... maybe just send an extra ticket for a "cousin" to take care and keep her company on the flights. Sounds like it could be a complicated affair. I don't know, I have only done direct flight myself. But I would wager she'd appreciate having a hand to hold more than a mobile phone... :huh:

Plus, it would be an adventure for the accompanying relative. They might never get the chance to leave thailand with out your kindly intervention.