Red Wine

The Dan Sai Kid

I'm moving to Dan Sai in a couple of weeks, and one of the more notable things about Dan Sai is that there is a Vineyard just up the road. Now, I'm quite partial to the odd snifter of red wine - what I'd like to know is does anyone have any techniques for getting their wine at the right temperature for drinking? I'm not wanting to buy any special fridges or stuff like that.

I look forward to anyones advice.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm moving to Dan Sai in a couple of weeks, and one of the more notable things about Dan Sai is that there is a Vineyard just up the road.  Now, I'm quite partial to the odd snifter of red wine - what I'd like to know is does anyone have any techniques for getting their wine at the right temperature for drinking?  I'm not wanting to buy any special fridges or stuff like that.

Quoting from "CellarNotes.Net".....

" Wine Serving Temperatures

The best temperature for serving wine varies based on the type of wine. In general, we tend to drink our white wines too cold and our red wines too warm in the U.S.A.

Temperature (F.)

Which Wines:

45 degrees (F.)

7 degrees (C.)

Most white wines you'll come across including Chenin Blancs, Sauvignon Blancs, Loire Wines, Rieslings and 'everyday' Chardonnays. If they are served colder, the aromas and flavors will be minimized and you won't get full enjoyment.

50 degrees (F.)

10 degrees (C.)

Full bodied, high quality white wines including Sauternes and rich white Burgundies. Light red wines like Beaujolais.

60 degrees (F.)

15 degrees (C.)

Red wines including Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Bordeaux, Zinfandel, Rhones and Syrah/Shiraz.

Most people have heard that red wines should be served at 'room' temperature, but that is really a reference to 'cellar' temperature. Cellar temperature is usually about 55 degrees which is perfect for storing wine . The reason that red wines are best enjoyed at slightly reduced temperatures is that alcohol will produce an unpleasant bite on the palate when served at normal room temperature."

I'm moving to Dan Sai in a couple of weeks, and one of the more notable things about Dan Sai is that there is a Vineyard just up the road.  Now, I'm quite partial to the odd snifter of red wine - what I'd like to know is does anyone have any techniques for getting their wine at the right temperature for drinking?  I'm not wanting to buy any special fridges or stuff like that.

Quoting from "CellarNotes.Net".....

" Wine Serving Temperatures

The best temperature for serving wine varies based on the type of wine. In general, we tend to drink our white wines too cold and our red wines too warm in the U.S.A.

Temperature (F.)

Which Wines:

45 degrees (F.)

7 degrees (C.)

Most white wines you'll come across including Chenin Blancs, Sauvignon Blancs, Loire Wines, Rieslings and 'everyday' Chardonnays. If they are served colder, the aromas and flavors will be minimized and you won't get full enjoyment.

50 degrees (F.)

10 degrees (C.)

Full bodied, high quality white wines including Sauternes and rich white Burgundies. Light red wines like Beaujolais.

60 degrees (F.)

15 degrees (C.)

Red wines including Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Bordeaux, Zinfandel, Rhones and Syrah/Shiraz.

Most people have heard that red wines should be served at 'room' temperature, but that is really a reference to 'cellar' temperature. Cellar temperature is usually about 55 degrees which is perfect for storing wine . The reason that red wines are best enjoyed at slightly reduced temperatures is that alcohol will produce an unpleasant bite on the palate when served at normal room temperature."

Thanks for that info Dara, but I'm really looking for techniques to get red wine at that temp without having to buy a portable wine cellar.

Make a Sangria:

Sangria

The blood-red color of this beverage inspired its name, which is derived from the Spanish word for blood. Sangria is made with red wine, fruit juices, soda water, fruit and sometimes liqueurs and Bandy or Cognac. Sangria blanco (white sangria) is made with white wine. Both are served cold over ice and make a refreshing cooler on a hot summer day.

Source: http://www.answers.com/sangria&r=67

Make a Sangria:
Sangria

The blood-red color of this beverage inspired its name, which is derived from the Spanish word for blood. Sangria is made with red wine, fruit juices, soda water, fruit and sometimes liqueurs and Bandy or Cognac. Sangria blanco (white sangria) is made with white wine. Both are served cold over ice and make a refreshing cooler on a hot summer day.

If you are not a purist about drinking just red wine, Sangria is always a good way to go. The easiest one I make is to add fresh squeezed OJ to the wine, the most complicated one with cut up citrus fruits, a little lemon juice, etc. The one that hits the spot the most is made with slushed ice and citrus slices - I have saved many red wine this way...

Make a Sangria:
Sangria

If you are not a purist about drinking just red wine, Sangria is always a good way to go. The easiest one I make is to add fresh squeezed OJ to the wine, the most complicated one with cut up citrus fruits, a little lemon juice, etc. The one that hits the spot the most is made with slushed ice and citrus slices - I have saved many red wine this way...

Is Sangria not the spanish word for "Spy Wine Cooler"? :o

As a RED wine fancier, since moving to Thailand has forever changed the whole protocol on 'room temp' etiquette etc... I now prefer it refridgerated- that's correct, COLD, even when back home for a visit.

In fact, when ordering a bottle of red wine at a restaurant in Bkk, I'll also order a bucket of ice to put it in and I could care less what the waiter or anyone else thinks. Hey, my tab, my choice :D

I laugh at any "purist" telling me this isn't "correct" :o

Edited by baht&sold

Here's a great link I bumped into: Wine buying rules.

Here's a quote:

Pay for the wine not for the marketing-

Avoid heavily advertised brand names. These are usually the worst wines you can buy and a big chunk of the price you pay for them is being used to sell the wine not to make it.

Unknown brand names offer the best value because pricing is usually based on the cost of production and the more the cost of production the better the wine. The cost of production is heavily weighted by the cost of grapes, the cost of barrels, and the cost of aging - all of these enhance wine quality. Marketing does not.

Nuff said :o:D

Edited by baht&sold

Back to Grant's question.

You don't need to buy any "special" fridge for this. You can get any old second hand fridge and just have someone to adjust the thermostat to the desired temperature. This probably means taking out and open up the thermostat but it can normally be done fairly easy.

Red wine can be inbibed cold as well. Try it, not bad!

Philistine! :o

Red wine is frequently served "cooled" in Spain and other warm wine growing countries. Room temp is as previously mentioned 55F so you'll have to cool it to some extent here anyway.

I have to say that short of lowering it into a well the only satisfactory option I can think of is to buy a domestic wine cooler. They are available from Big C and Carrefour in Pattaya and I presume elsewhere too. I think they were about 15k.

Most of the wine I have bought here is of doubious quality. I fear that storage here and transport are not in it's favour.

Tell me if you find a drinkable wine

I fear that "Good Thai wine" is an oxymoron

Agree with B&S, in Thailand I enjoy red wine chilled it probably helps the poorer reds anyway.Don't think I would have tried it but for having a red which tasted poor drank one glass and automaticly put it in the fridge.Had a glass the next day and it seemed a lot better.Same situation with beer would never have put ice in my beer before. Now in Thailand would think it strange if it didn't.

As a RED wine fancier, since moving to Thailand has forever changed the whole protocol on 'room temp' etiquette etc... I now prefer it refridgerated- that's correct, COLD, even when back home for a visit.

In fact, when ordering a bottle of red wine at a restaurant in Bkk,  I'll also order a bucket of ice to put it in and I could care less what the waiter or anyone else thinks. Hey, my tab, my choice  :D 

I laugh at any "purist" telling me this isn't "correct"  :o

Have to agree.I went out with an Italien girl and spent a lot of time in Italy out in the countryside,it was very common to chill red wine,changes the character hugely.

Red wine can be inbibed cold as well. Try it, not bad!

Would that not make some reds very bitter. I had some at room temp, it was gross.

Are there any aussies on the forum who have experience of this in their own country?

Just stick it in the fridge. As soon as it hits room temperature your glass of red will be very palatable. Have been living in the tropics for years. Trust me!!!

Hi Grant , In oz you would never chill a full bodied red like a cab sav or shiraz, only the lighter styles like rose of cianti (spelling).

Here with white wine even if your fridge is set to a fairly low temp. the bottle will warm up fairly quickly once you take it out and there is not much danger of it being too cold and destroying the flavour of the wine.

Just a little red wine aside .... there was recently a big study on flavanoids, which red wine (and dark chocolate) has a lot of. They affect blood pressure in a statistically signaificant, but also a medically significant way. AND flavanoids really help out with insulin sensitivity and improve your glucose use. Of course, chocolate (only the dark semi-bitter kind) has more than red wine, but red wine has a lot, too. ... and they did make sure it was the flavaniods in particular that have the good effects.