The Dan Sai Kid

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting thread.

I am very nationalistic when it comes to wines, Aussie reds are my favourite and always will be. Taylors Cab Sav and Penfolds (Grange, 389, 407) are my favourites and IMO are not acidic at all.

In South Australia we are known for our great wines Wilko, maybe you should go and tour around all of the wineries.

I still like my Greek mates vineyard in Athelstone, where you can fill up a flagon for $2 and be very happy with it - no marketing or labels = cheap, but also a great drop.

Im currently drinking PepperJack 2003 Shiraz (Barossa Valley), which I bought duty free in Sinagapore - not bad for the price either.

Getting back to the question the thread was for:

I chill my Red for about 20 minutes in the fridge, although the new house will have a small cellar :o

Edited by Tornado

I bought a nice bottle of red wine before leaving England to go with the lamb joint my brother was roasting.

It was expensive and one bottle wasn't enough.

was one ever enough ?

If it's the gallon-sized bottle! :o

Already mentioned Thai Monsoon Wine but heres another couple to go with your freshly made Chiang Mai Baguettes and Buffalo Cheese........you lucky people :D

Anyone for "Hirondel" :D

Chateau de Loei

Chateau de Loei is in Loei Province. This is where the Chenin Blanc and Syrah grapes are grown, where the wine is made using imported French equipment and where it is bottled.

“A plateau of rolling golden hills... a chunk of southern France, carved out and shipped to Asia.” That’s how Asia Times describes the 600 rai (240 acres) of our vineyards.

Above all, good wine comes from good grapes. Our selection is based on research initiated by HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej. The Phurua highlands provide the ideal conditions - soil, water supply, cool nights and sunny days - perfect for the main February harvest.

The result is series of fruit-dominated wines to satisfy wine-lovers in Thailand and internationally. :D

http://www.chateaudeloei.com/production.html

Queenwine

So called "Queen of fruit" the Mangosteen

We have started making our ":Queenwine" the fruit wine since year 2001.

From fresh and fruity taste mangosteen we harvest them from our farm.

The selective fruit performed by our experience farmer.

Fermentation start during the season we age our wine till its ready to be bottled.

Queen wine is a kind of herbal spirited from Mangosteen.

Try this you will find the different.

http://geocities.com/queenwine/

Wine de lapoon

Great natural health product. :o

"Lapoon " is northern dialect for "Lamphun or Lampoon" city in the northern part of Thailand

The product of company, as the first company in Lampoon province who received quality and standard assurance from community product standard.

Moreover, presently the company has applied GMP (Good manufacturing practice) system for controlling quality standard, cleanliness and conforming to health sanitation.

http://www.phisith.com/index.htm

I've tried several bottles of Chateau de Loei, have toured the vineyards a couple of times (2nd time only because I was in the vicnity with Thai friends who wanted to see it), and haven't been at all impressed with the product. They're trying hard, have an accomplished French winemaster running the show (or did last I visited, about 2 yrs ago) but I just don't think they have the terroir for it.

The chablis is just about drinkable but the shiraz reminds me of a Yunnan cabernet I once tasted - you'd swear it was made from some fruit other than grapes. Almost tasted like a dry plum wine. Not obnoxious but just not within what I'd say is the 'international standard' for red wines.

I've not tried any other Thai grape wines yet. I haven't been too inspired to go any further since they typically cost nearly as much as decent French, Italian and Chilean wines (though less expensive than decent Australian and American wine; of course I'm speaking of relative prices for wines purchased in Thailand). I'd like to try Monsoon Valley, esp since I read that a Monsoon Valley 2001 Red Wine earned a bronze medal at the Los Angeles County Fair Wines of the World competition.

In Laos I tasted a wine that had been bottled in southern Laos and it was surprisingly good. Sorry but I forget the name, but it's generally available for sale in Vientiane and Luang Prabang (in fact I seem to recall the word 'monsoon' in the name, coincidentally). On making further inquries I found out it was produced by a Frenchman who made it using wine grape concentrate imported from Italy.

I wonder if anyone has tried doing this in Thailand, whether privately or as a commerical venture? Using the many wine kits available online, they say you can make a decent wine inexpensively that way - depending on the concentrate (some very good wineries offer premium concentrates for sale), for around US$2/bottle. The alleged advantage to using concentrate rather than trying to grow and crush your own is that you can source grapes from reliable terroirs or growing areas. Plus they've been grown by experience professionals rather than amateurs.

I've tried several bottles of Chateau de Loei, have toured the vineyards a couple of times (2nd time only because I was in the vicnity with Thai friends who wanted to see it), and haven't been at all impressed with the product.

Same here sabaijai... although their "sticky" was a hit with my missus. :D

Allthough reasonably cool (for Thailand) I don't think the climate there is extreme enough to get full flavoured grapes that are needed to produce a full flavoured wine. :D

I am watching with interest the development of large tracts of land near Buddha mountain south east of Pattaya that have been planted with grapes... complete with irrigation systems etc. Maybe someone is going to start producing wine there... :o

Made huge amounts of Mead a couple of years back. Very good to drink, just a bit too much of it! Still have 300 or so liters left, if anybody is interested.  :o

Where are you located p1p?

"The chablis is just about drinkable but the shiraz reminds me of a Yunnan cabernet I once tasted - you'd swear it was made from some fruit other than grapes"

Agree with you on China Wines :D First time I tried them was on a Jolly to Amsterdam about 25 years ago ....culture trip with TIT lads .....of course.At that time mostly Indonesian restuarants (Rice Tafels Etc) but a couple of Chinese joints and as said they were dishing this stuff.. :D ...sure my teeth fell out. :o

Incid last trip to the Dam about a year ago and all change ...Indoes-chinese-Ippon-Indian ..and loads of Thai/Khmer bars and Restaurants...............inlcl...lots of K.T bar-persons but good fun :D ....down by the R.Lt canal areas.

Re Monsoon Valley...

As said recent do at the Thai Embassy and was introduced to it by H.E. and supprise thought it very good. :D As you suggest Thailand is trying hard in this area and recon the least we could all do is give a little bit of support and try it.......again and again and ....again... :D

Thoughts of Roast Chiang Mai Lamb avec locally produced C.M.pommes de terres et legumes with a couple of bottles of ...perhaps chilled Monsoon Vin Rouge to compliment the sunset............... :D

Bit more info....

The Monsoon Valley Wines are the leading wines from Siam Winery, one of Asia's biggest wine producers, situated near Samut Sakorn, 60 km southwest of Bangkok.

The Monsoon Valley Wines have been developed over the past 8 years to complement Thai food, especially the spicier dishes. Since their launch in 2003 the Monsoon Valley Wines have been recognised for their quality and received many international awards and recommendations.

They are now available throughout the world

Bronze Medal at Los Angeles Country Fair 2004

Recommended on BBC Food & Drinks Programme 2004 :D

Recommended by Award Winning Thai Chef McDang 2004

Top 100 List, Saveur Magazine, New York 2004

250 Wines to Watch, Matthew Jukes, UK 2004

Best Thai White Wine, International Food & Hospitality Show, Bangkok 2003

Official Wine for Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation, Bangkok 2003

Silver Medal at Wine Master Challenge, Portugal 2003

Bronze Medal, Monde Selection, Brussels 2003

Bronze Medal, International Wine & Spirits Competition, London 2001

Siam Winery Europe

14 Soho Square

W1D 3QG

M: +44 (0) 7734 888 133

T: + 44 (0) 207 434 5656

F: +44 (0) 20 7434 3292

E: [email protected]

Siam Winery Thailand

174/1-4 Moo 9

Viphavadee-Rangsit Rd.

Sikun, Donmuang, Bangkok

10210 Thailand

T: +66 (0) 2937 0055

F: +66 (0) 2937 0155

"The chablis is just about drinkable but the shiraz reminds me of a Yunnan cabernet I once tasted - you'd swear it was made from some fruit other than grapes"

Agree with you on China Wines :D First time I tried them was on a Jolly to Amsterdam about 25 years ago ....culture trip with TIT lads .....of course.At that time mostly Indonesian restuarants (Rice Tafels Etc) but a couple of Chinese joints and as said they were dishing this stuff.. :D ...sure my teeth fell out. :o

Incid last trip to the Dam about a year ago and all change ...Indoes-chinese-Ippon-Indian ..and loads of Thai/Khmer bars and Restaurants...............inlcl...lots of K.T bar-persons but good fun :D ....down by the R.Lt canal areas.

Re Monsoon Valley...

As said recent do at the Thai Embassy and was introduced to it by H.E. and supprise thought it very good. :D  As you suggest Thailand is trying hard in this area and recon the least  we could all do is give a little bit of support and try it.......again and again and ....again... :D

Thoughts of Roast Chiang Mai Lamb avec locally produced C.M.pommes de terres et legumes with a couple of bottles of ...perhaps chilled Monsoon Vin Rouge to compliment the sunset............... :D

Bit more info....

The Monsoon Valley Wines are the leading wines from Siam Winery, one of Asia's biggest wine producers, situated near Samut Sakorn, 60 km southwest of Bangkok.

The Monsoon Valley Wines have been developed over the past 8 years to complement Thai food, especially the spicier dishes. Since their launch in 2003 the Monsoon Valley Wines have been recognised for their quality and received many international awards and recommendations.

They are now available throughout the world

Bronze Medal at Los Angeles Country Fair 2004

Recommended on BBC Food & Drinks Programme 2004 :D

Recommended by Award Winning Thai Chef McDang 2004

Top 100 List, Saveur Magazine, New York 2004

250 Wines to Watch, Matthew Jukes, UK 2004

Best Thai White Wine, International Food & Hospitality Show, Bangkok 2003

Official Wine for Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation, Bangkok 2003

Silver Medal at Wine Master Challenge, Portugal 2003

Bronze Medal, Monde Selection, Brussels 2003

Bronze Medal, International Wine & Spirits Competition, London 2001

Siam Winery Europe

14 Soho Square

W1D 3QG

M: +44 (0) 7734 888 133

T: + 44 (0) 207 434 5656

F: +44 (0) 20 7434 3292

Siam Winery Thailand

174/1-4 Moo 9

Viphavadee-Rangsit Rd.

Sikun, Donmuang, Bangkok

10210 Thailand

T: +66 (0) 2937 0055

F: +66 (0) 2937 0155

And grown as floating vineyards over canals. Note to self: try Monsoon Valley soon, to do my part for the Thai economy. :D

Made huge amounts of Mead a couple of years back. Very good to drink, just a bit too much of it! Still have 300 or so liters left, if anybody is interested.  :D

"Mead"

Is that like what the good ol boys brew up called Moonshine? :o

The Mead is more strictly Methyglyn. A variety of Mead made with with Spices and, in this case, citrus juice. It is dry and highly alcoholic with a strong honey scent.

If I can make it to the CM Pissup on Saturday, I'll bring a bottle or two.

I've had a few bottles of Monsoon Valley in my local Thai Restauraint here in Blighty and it was ok actually. Mind you I'd had a few chang by then...hic! :o

Thats the ticket :D

Looks as though we are talking ThaiVisa "Wine of the Year-2005"...much more prestigeous achievement than all those International Organisations...Mich-elan,Gor-may Inter,BBC Food and Wine show....might even get a TAT award for export..So..Support Thai exports ...drink Moonson Valley :D:D