The Dan Sai Kid

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A good Oz Cab Sav takes a bit of beating Lampy :o

I find most Aussie wines undrinkable! Especially the Cab Savs and those awful Chardonays

As Australian wines (reds & whites ) are acclaimed around the world and win more gold medals than any other country,you must have the palate of a rhino, I would suggest a Bullers Xmas Special plonk @ $1.80 a bottle would suit you well.

Australian and also New Zealand wines have won their fine reputations by appealling to people who appreciate quality. And dont forget to decant 15 minutes before enjoying.

As Australian wines (reds & whites ) are acclaimed around the world and win more gold medals than any other country,you must have the palate of a rhino, I would suggest a Bullers Xmas Special plonk @ $1.80 a bottle would suit you well...

They're my favourite wine, but I wish they were as cheap or cheaper than in the UK - they only have to travel half as far, after all! :o

As Australian wines (reds & whites ) are acclaimed around the world and win more gold medals than any other country,you must have the palate of a rhino, I would suggest a Bullers Xmas Special plonk @ $1.80 a bottle would suit you well...

They're my favourite wine, but I wish they were as cheap or cheaper than in the UK - they only have to travel half as far, after all! :o

My sentiments exactly RDN :D

14:45:20]

A good Oz Cab Sav takes a bit of beating

I find most Aussie wines undrinkable! Especially the Cab Savs and those awful Chardonays

What a pity. So what wines do you like?

Chateau de cardboard...2005 I think. :D
Chateau de cardboard...2005 I think. :D

Wine in a box - an Aussie invention

That old ? :o

I like my wine to mature and be free of preservatives. I also prefer Merlots

I went to a wine tasting in UQ - (University of Queensland) and had indigestion for a week!

If the Aussies could make a wine you could lay down rather than lying with their mouths open under the vat waiting for the first "drinkable" drop to come out, they might start on the right road to making a tipple that one could imbibe.

Grange and HH Grace are 2 bottles of Oz plonk that would beat most , not all Old Country wines in a similar price bracket ( £100/£150 per bottle).

Instead of troll-like posts , why not name us some names of your faves Wilko/Wontko ?

:o

Edited by chonabot

Grange and HH Grace are 2 bottles of Oz plonk that would beat most , not all Old Country wines in a similar price bracket ( £100/£150  per bottle).

Instead of troll-like posts , why not name us some names of your faves Wilko/Wontko ?

That makes two of us who have asked him, all we get is deafening silence.

I think we know why - troll7ev.gif

Grange and HH Grace are 2 bottles of Oz plonk that would beat most , not all Old Country wines in a similar price bracket ( £100/£150  per bottle).

That makes two of us who have asked him, all we get is deafening silence.

I think we know why - troll7ev.gif

I have already said I like Merlots and a good Pomerol or St Emilion will do fine. Outside that I enjoy Bergerac and Languedoc. I enjoy wines from around the world especially recently from Chile. I prefer wines stored in oak and not created in vast stainless steel vats and then added vpreservatives. I like the irregularity of European wines from year to year even bottle to bottle - by the way have you ever tried to send a bottle of duff wine back in Thailand? - I drink winemost days and would certainly not pay 150 dollars/pounds (what are they?) a throw.

However I do not like the mundane acidy and uninspiring sterility of Aussie wines.

In order to manufacture a wine that sells around the world they have gone for the lowest common denominator and that is now reflected in the glut that is threatening the industry there.

Edited by wilko

Bucket of ice water do work well, the temp get down, then I remove it when the temp is ok, or it gets too cold

had thai room temperature once, aircon 25 or so, thats not good.

The cellar temperature described is best, reds on 15 to 18, whites down to 7 or 5 can be good.

Beer is same, dont drink it TOO cold. 7 to 10 is cold enough.

Using the fridge to store it is a good idea. Remember the cellars down in europe keep a cold, like 10 degrees normally. Take it out some before u gonna drink it, to get the temperature u want...

I personally dont drink expencive wine here in Thai, in resturants, because I normally get the wine to hot, or too cold. And I never know what temperature they stored it in, and how long.. too many places with bad wine.

Personally prefere Chianti, Italy. Or french white, bordeux.

But Chile, Maipo is also drinkable...

Worst is the Sangria, many of the Calififornian, but there IS a great Californian, but I cant remember the name. Chardonnay grapes i might recall.

used to know this shit when I lived in Oslo.. :o

Edited by [email protected]

I do not like the mundane acidy and uninspiring sterility of Aussie wines.

In order to manufacture a wine that sells around the world they have gone for the lowest common denominator and that is now reflected in the glut that is threatening the industry there.

This is the equivalent of saying all Ozzies are drunken boors, all Americans are Neo-Con Uber-Christian Fanatics or all Thais are un-educated peasant rice farmers. It is simply and demonstrably not true. The Australians now make some of the best, most drinkable wines in the world. Indeed, it is difficult to go far wrong with them if you know what you are buying.

I have been professionally serving, (and drinking) good wines for over thirty years now, in recognised World Class establishments. I have also arranged courses and taught some of the best known faces in the wine and food business about the arts of matching wines with, in particular, spicy dishes.

The only fixed rule about wine service and drinking is that all rules are flexible. You drink what you like, at the temperature you like, with the food you like. You can drink red with seafood, just as you can drink white with game or red meat.

Please ask advice from your wine vendor, sommelier or other knowledgable person before you purchase new wines. Also, please do not fall into the common trap of thinking you know it all and making statements that only display your own idiocy and lack of judgement. As a professional in the business, I have seen this almost every day and frequently wonder how these many absurd wine-snobs can taste and enjoy anything with their feet planted so firmly in their mouths..

This is the equivalent of saying all Ozzies are drunken boors, all Americans are Neo-Con Uber-Christian Fanatics or all Thais are un-educated peasant rice farmers. It is simply and demonstrably not true. The Australians now make some of the best, most drinkable wines in the world. Indeed, it is difficult to go far wrong with them if you know what you are buying.

I have been professionally serving, (and drinking) good wines for over thirty years now, in recognised World Class establishments. I have also arranged courses and taught some of the best known faces in the wine and food business about the arts of matching wines with, in particular, spicy dishes.

The only fixed rule about wine service and drinking is that all rules are flexible. You drink what you like, at the temperature you like, with the food you like. You can drink red with seafood, just as you can drink white with game or red meat.

Please ask advice from your wine vendor, somellier or other knowledgable person before you purchase new wines. Also, please do not fall into the common trap of thinking you know it all and making statements that only display your own idiocy and lack of judgement. As a professional in the business, I have seen this almost every day and frequently wonder how these many absurd wine-snobs can taste and enjoy anything with their feet planted so firmly in their mouths..

A few years ago at work, we had a customer that was a Wine Master.He agreed to come into work one day to give a few of us a quick lesson on wines What p1p has written is almost word for word what he told us.

Please ask advice from your wine vendor, somellier or other knowledgable person before you purchase new wines. Also, please do not fall into the common trap of thinking you know it all and making statements that only display your own idiocy and lack of judgement. As a professional in the business, I have seen this almost every day and frequently wonder how these many absurd wine-snobs can taste and enjoy anything with their feet planted so firmly in their mouths..

So endeth the lesson to our witless brother/s :o:D Thanks for that sage contribution P1P

This is the equivalent of saying all Ozzies are drunken boors, -- no they're not!

It is simply and demonstrably not true. No it isn't

The Australians now make some of the best, most drinkable wines in the world.

No they don't

Please ask advice from your wine vendor, somellier or other knowledgable person before you purchase new wines.

...Now tell me something I don't know.....

Also, please do not fall into the common trap of thinking you know it all and making statements that only display your own idiocy and lack of judgement. As a professional in the business, I have seen this almost every day and frequently wonder how these many absurd wine-snobs can taste and enjoy anything with their feet planted so firmly in their mouths....... how's about kirbing your invection and try not to jump to conclusions!

Hope you haven't wasted 30 odd years in the wrong job!

Someone mentioned a good Ozzie Cab Sav takes some beating. I'm sure anything with alchohol takes a beating in Oz :o

The thing I love about especially red wines is their indivdual character or flavour, year to year. And a hint of the oak. Stainless steel vats just cannot reproduce that. And I'm not a 'connoisseur' . Helll I drink Chang

Someone mentioned a good Ozzie Cab Sav takes some beating. I'm sure anything with alchohol takes a beating in Oz  :D

The thing I love about especially red wines is their indivdual character or flavour, year to year. And a hint of the oak. Stainless steel vats just cannot reproduce that. And I'm not a 'connoisseur' . Helll I drink Chang

Where did the SS vats come from? :o

Someone mentioned a good Ozzie Cab Sav takes some beating. I'm sure anything with alchohol takes a beating in Oz  :D

Where did the SS vats come from? :o

I prefer wines stored in oak and not created in vast stainless steel vats and then added vpreservatives.

Post #47

And also, I'm not saying all Oz wines are made in stainless steel vats. In fact, I'm not talking about Oz wines at all.

:D

.......  how's about kirbing (sic.) your invection and try not to jump to conclusions!

Here we see a classic example illustrating the old adage, "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can not make her think."

A typical wine whore, (sorry, bore!) believes he knows it all and will never accept any guidance regarding his certain "knowledge".

I have seen wine whores claiming young, tannic wines were corked because they did not like the tannin. Others have returned bottles of perfectly good wines because of a few tartrate crystals. I have even had arguments with some wine whores regarding severely corked wines. They did not recognise the wine as being corked and wished to keep it.

As regards myself, my qualifications and my personal history in the business, I will keep these to myself. Suffice it to say I was in the right business, and I greatly treasure the awards and accolades that prove it.

.......  how's about kirbing (sic.) your invection and try not to jump to conclusions!

Here we see a classic example illustrating the old adage, "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can not make her think."A typical wine whore, (sorry, bore!) believes he knows it all and will never accept any guidance regarding his certain "knowledge".

I have seen wine whores claiming young, tannic wines were corked because they did not like the tannin. Others have returned bottles of perfectly good wines because of a few tartrate crystals. I have even had arguments with some wine whores regarding severely corked wines. They did not recognise the wine as being corked and wished to keep it.

As regards myself, my qualifications and my personal history in the business, I will keep these to myself. Suffice it to say I was in the right business, and I greatly treasure the awards and accolades that prove it.

That's a little...corker. :o

Thanks Chu - I apologise for the above rant, but I really have had it up to here with these know-it-all <deleted> idiots. We had to suffer one every day or so and remaining polite was frequently difficult to say the least.

Now I have effectively retired from the sharp end, I have nothing to lose and I can at last call a spade a spade.

Still have my cellar though, including a dozen or so cases of Grange '81 & '82. We should share a bottle some day and I'll tell some stories about wine service!