New Honda Cbr 150I Launch Oct 30Th?

thomo

Seems like that's what the CBR150club is saying.

http://www.cbr150club.com/board/index.php?topic=20793.0

and the usual google translate mash:

Title: Press Conference Opening CBR150i.

Report launch event CBR 150i with APhonda.

Organizers of the AP Honda to confirm that this event will be held. Saturday, October 30 this venue.

Hua Mark Stadium is an experience the scheduled start time noon - midnight ไม่เสียค่าใช้จ่ายใดๆทั้งสิ้น Free of charge at all.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=th&tl=en&u=http://www.cbr150club.com/board/index.php&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhgdzj84tb-KqTfWHMpiyoKi7d2CpA

Edited by thomo

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btw, during my search across the thai boards the web-board on the official aphonda site has a few talking about the new cbr250i, which they say will be released after the 150i launch at the end of Oct.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=th&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aphonda.co.th%2Fhondaracing%2Fflim_club%2Fanswer1.asp%3Fid%3D3586%26VIEW%3D770%26club%3DFLIM_CLUB

please forgive the awful google translate.

If it is only an engine modification, then I will be disappointed.

It would be like buying the same bike all over again. :(

I would tend to agree with you on that. I can think of at least 3 changes that should be made.

1) Better headlights. That would be the first thing, as the ones on the previous models totally sucked.

2) Larger windscreen on the front, like the Ninja 250 has, to reduce the wind factor when riding at 100+kph.

3) Softer compound tires. The originals are just too dam_n hard and almost worthless in the rain, unless you drive at 20-30kph.

Unless this bike come out, and just impresses the hel_l out of of me, I'm going with the 2011 Ninja 250. Have already looked at in and love it.

post-82655-009103800 1285496564_thumb.jp

I've been saying this for the last 2+ years; if Honda releases a new CBR 150 it will have fuel injection and quite possibly the fairing from the 125.....

And I'm just waiting for the bike to be released so that I could tell Richard "I told you so". He claimed it couldn't be done (made the engine too hot and holed pistons), the weight was excessive, and it was going to cost too much.

Well, the fuel injected Waves didn't add a whole bunch over the carb'd versions, obviously the PCX (or whatever the scooter is called....SH-150 IIRC) has no problems being injected (not that the CBR 125 did either) and what the actual weight difference is going to be remains to be seen.

And canuckamuck; yes it would be like buying the same bike all over again, but look how many Cubs were sold. You don't think those were all first time sales do you? Why mess with success?

I've been saying this for the last 2+ years; if Honda releases a new CBR 150 it will have fuel injection and quite possibly the fairing from the 125.....

And I'm just waiting for the bike to be released so that I could tell Richard "I told you so". He claimed it couldn't be done (made the engine too hot and holed pistons), the weight was excessive, and it was going to cost too much.

Well, the fuel injected Waves didn't add a whole bunch over the carb'd versions, obviously the PCX (or whatever the scooter is called....SH-150 IIRC) has no problems being injected (not that the CBR 125 did either) and what the actual weight difference is going to be remains to be seen.

And canuckamuck; yes it would be like buying the same bike all over again, but look how many Cubs were sold. You don't think those were all first time sales do you? Why mess with success?

Personal I would first call Huamark Stadium (tel. 02-318-0940-4) if Honda Thailand or APHonda has rented the place for a launch party?

btw, during my search across the thai boards the web-board on the official aphonda site has a few talking about the new cbr250i, which they say will be released after the 150i launch at the end of Oct.

http://translate.goo...lub%3DFLIM_CLUB

please forgive the awful google translate.

Ok, if they come with a CBR 250i by January, then I'll probably go with that. If not, hello 2011 Ninja 250.

Ok, here's a pic of the old CBR and the new CBR150i.

That may or may not be correct.

That picture is over a year old at least. Don't act like it is a fact when it isn't. Thanks.

But for the record, this is what that bike looks like from the front.

cbr9.jpg

Edited by thomo

The Honda SH150i (which is a 153cc) has a fuel-injection system that would not pass the Thai emission rules as it's equipped with a PGM-FI with automatic fuel enricher circuit, which kicks in when the engine is in danger of getting an to lean air/fuel mixture. Engines which run on the lean side often cause engine damage or other internal problems and the combustion heat can get so high that it actual burns holes into pistons. See the attached piston pictures for some reference.

It's needless to say that a Thai 150cc motorcycle based on the same PGM-FI with automatic fuel enricher circuit technology will very likely not pass the Thai exhaust and environmental tests.

post-12170-004362700 1285506950_thumb.jp

The Honda SH150i (which is a 153cc) has a fuel-injection system that would not pass the Thai emission rules as it's equipped with a PGM-FI with automatic fuel enricher circuit, which kicks in when the engine is in danger of getting an to lean air/fuel mixture. Engines which run on the lean side often cause engine damage or other internal problems and the combustion heat can get so high that it actual burns holes into pistons. See the attached piston pictures for some reference.

It's needless to say that a Thai 150cc motorcycle based on the same PGM-FI with automatic fuel enricher circuit technology will very likely not pass the Thai exhaust and environmental tests.

You're unbelievable. Per this link (notice that is from the Thai Government) emissions are set for 2,5% CO and 1 000 PPM HC at IDLE SPEED. Even that doesn't meet Euro3 standards for motorcycles (which interestingly enough they have the Thai standards lower than what the Thai government has published--error?). And that's measured at a rolling rate from what I can tell. Thus if the SH-150 can pass the European test, why wouldn't a similar system pass an idle speed test? The fact that the system, according to you kicks in when the engine is in danger of getting a lean condition (which I'm sure the Ninja 250R, ER-6N, ER-6F, Vulcan, etc does also), indicates that unless the Thai government wants all bikes to run at a condition that will be holing pistons you're attempting to create a strawman argument.

And I can't understand why you can't wrap your mind around the fact that most fuel delivery systems enrich the mixture at some point; see the accelerator circuit on slide carbs. The fact that whomever you've been hanging with can not properly calibrate a F.I. system has little bearing on the realities of the situation....

As a non-tech person, why would any government want to advocate engines to be run at dangerously lean conditions? I understand less fuel burned thus less emissions but not to the point of engine damage right?

I would assume they wouldn't; however we are talking about a government and when they start making sense to you then you probably need help.

This is also the basis of many of my 'disagreements' with this certain board member. He's managed to convince quite a few people that his website, which is linked to extensively here (even though linking to others are expressly forbidden), is the bee's knees or gospel truth as it were. He rarely backs up his proclamations with links to external websites but rather relies on his own. Kinda like, "Trust me, it's on the internet (linked on the website I created)".

[

Personal I would first call Huamark Stadium (tel. 02-318-0940-4) if Honda Thailand or APHonda has rented the place for a launch party?

Well the Party is sure!!!

There are posters plastering the walls of Honda dealers advertising the "Honda Bike Fest" Oct 30th depicting (its i Thai so I cant read it all) about stunt riding, big bands and....release of the CBR150i

Edited by visions

The date of the Honda event is confirmed and they will introduce a new model, even two models is possible. Is it a Honda CBR-150, is it a CBR250, you can know first hand by sending an SMS to 460266 with the text "Honda your name" and your receive an invitation.

post-12170-053513800 1285566778_thumb.jp

The date of the Honda event is confirmed and they will introduce a new model, even two models is possible. Is it a Honda CBR-150, is it a CBR250

In post 4 I have a link to the aphonda website with talk of the cbr 250i being released after the 150i.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=th&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aphonda.co.th%2Fhondaracing%2Fflim_club%2Fanswer1.asp%3Fid%3D3586%26VIEW%3D770%26club%3DFLIM_CLUB

Would be nice.

I try and remain impartial, so seriously, visions, why did it take the guy who's constantly been on the offensive to spread information about the CBR's imminent demise to post it up?

Dave_boo Im not quite sure what u mean? I also try and remain impartial and not flame or whatever anyone. But I admit I am a bit one eyed about getting a new CBR. Preferably a 250 although it seems likely its a single (if it is coming) and I cant help feeling thats a step down from the Ninja in that department. A 250 V4cyl would be perfect.

Cost pressures and weight make it a logical choice and I presume it would be a development of the 250 dirt bike engine but with a 6 speed box. Alos the new class to replace the motogp 125 class is a single cyl 250 so again points that way.

Anyway I have sent off for my invite to the Honda Bike Fun event.....and will continue to wait wait wait for "Real News/Proof" of a replacement for my 1 yr old carby CBR150

I try and remain impartial, so seriously, visions, why did it take the guy who's constantly been on the offensive to spread information about the CBR's imminent demise to post it up?

Dave_boo Im not quite sure what u mean? I also try and remain impartial and not flame or whatever anyone. But I admit I am a bit one eyed about getting a new CBR. Preferably a 250 although it seems likely its a single (if it is coming) and I cant help feeling thats a step down from the Ninja in that department. A 250 V4cyl would be perfect.

Cost pressures and weight make it a logical choice and I presume it would be a development of the 250 dirt bike engine but with a 6 speed box. Alos the new class to replace the motogp 125 class is a single cyl 250 so again points that way.

Anyway I have sent off for my invite to the Honda Bike Fun event.....and will continue to wait wait wait for "Real News/Proof" of a replacement for my 1 yr old carby CBR150

Apologies; it was a gentle jab at you (since I've been so hard on Richard and don't want the impression to be that I'm unduly riding him or anything) chiding you for not posting empirical proof.

Unfortunately I won't be in LOS at the time of this event, so feel free to take plenty of pictures and make me jealous.

I would love to go, but can't make it. Hopefully you'll go, get full info and then post here so the rest of us will know what's actually happening.

As a side note, took the wife to the Kawasaki dealer in C.M. to day to look at the 2011 White/Black Ninja 20. She loves it. But we both decided to wait and see what Honda does. They come with a 250 CBR, I'll go with that. Come only with a 150i, I'm going with the Ninja.

• 2 weeks later...

CBR 250

Was talking to the owner of the Honda dealership in Saphan Kwai today. A very genuine straight talker, fluent in English, Chinese I think.

Anyway, says the new 150i will be in the shops in Nov, and when asked about the 250 he said that it should be in production next year... for the EXPORT market. And while they haven't been told, everyone (Honda dealers) feels that it won't be released in Thailand for the following reasons:

The market is such a niche, and the introduction would require all the mechanics in the Honda dealerships to be trained to be able to work on them, the cost of introduction for such a small market wouldn't be worth it. And that with the ninja, there just wouldn't be enough demand to make it worthwhile.

He said that they feel it's coming soon, but not for Thailand.

Edited by thomo

CBR 250

Was talking to the owner of the Honda dealership in Saphan Kwai today. A very genuine straight talker, fluent in English, Chinese I think.

Anyway, says the new 150i will be in the shops in Nov, and when asked about the 250 he said that it should be in production next year... for the EXPORT market. And while they haven't been told, everyone (Honda dealers) feels that it won't be released in Thailand for the following reasons:

The market is such a niche, and the introduction would require all the mechanics in the Honda dealerships to be trained to be able to work on them, the cost of introduction for such a small market wouldn't be worth it. And that with the ninja, there just wouldn't be enough demand to make it worthwhile.

He said that they feel it's coming soon, but not for Thailand.

I'm guessing this guy is right. I'm expecting to see the 150i soon and thankfully it's much better looking than the existing model. Given that Honda has already shown a lack of interest in the Thai market, I'd be amazed if they launched the 250 here, but given the projected specs of the Honda 250 it looks like no great loss anyway. I'd love to see some competition for Kawasaki but it doesn't look likely.

Personally, I think it's a mistake NOT to bring out a CBR 250 for Thailand. I think a lot of current 150 owners would be happy to trade up to the 250. If I had the choice between the two, even though the CBR 250 is going to be more expensive, I doubt it will be as expensive as the Ninja 250, I'd be happy to pay the extra for it over the 150. hel_l, even my Thai wife thinks Honda is stupid if they don't come out with a CBR 250 soon, and told me that if they don't, go buy the Ninja, which she happens to love anyway. She knows I want to do some traveling all around Thailand, and says it would be better on a 250 than a 150, to which I agree.

Well, as I've said before, no CBR 250, hello Ninja.

Personally, I think it's a mistake NOT to bring out a CBR 250 for Thailand. I think a lot of current 150 owners would be happy to trade up to the 250. If I had the choice between the two, even though the CBR 250 is going to be more expensive, I doubt it will be as expensive as the Ninja 250, I'd be happy to pay the extra for it over the 150. hel_l, even my Thai wife thinks Honda is stupid if they don't come out with a CBR 250 soon, and told me that if they don't, go buy the Ninja, which she happens to love anyway. She knows I want to do some traveling all around Thailand, and says it would be better on a 250 than a 150, to which I agree.

Well, as I've said before, no CBR 250, hello Ninja.

I am going to the Honda Fun day in Bkk 30th with the local dealer here so hopefully can catch up with some truth...if there is any..... with regards to the 150 and 250 CBRs

I will probably buy a new CBR 150 when available (my third) but trade up to a 250 when available in turn. But in any case I want buy a bigger Sport bike for touring 600cc maybe liter bike but restricted in choice very much. Maybe the new 2011 Kawa ZX10R would be a good buy???

Keep the smaller Honda for city and outskirts In my opinion... to suit my needs..... there is nothing can touch the CBR 150 and a 250 would be unbeatable.

Personally, I think it's a mistake NOT to bring out a CBR 250 for Thailand. I think a lot of current 150 owners would be happy to trade up to the 250.

I doubt more than 10% of cbr150 riders would trade up to a bike that's twice as expensive. I don't think that many Thais with a 150 have 140,000b to drop on 250.

With the expense that comes with introducing a completely new product that the nationwide dealers aren't currently trained to deal with, the market is too much of a niche, especially as the ninja has already taken those that do have 140k to drop on a 250.

I'm sorry, but I don't think you and your wife wanting to buy one will be enough to change Honda's mind. :D

Edited by thomo

Well i heard that its going to be a Cbr250 (amongst others) That's from Honda to the dealer today(Friend of the girlfriend).

I'm hoping to get some specs tmorro. But the estimated price is closer to 200,000b. That is an unconfirmed price (price hasn't been released)

So it wants to be like the old one for that outrageous money (if correct) eg 4 cylinder, sports 250 with 45hp. Unlikely though. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think it's a mistake NOT to bring out a CBR 250 for Thailand. I think a lot of current 150 owners would be happy to trade up to the 250.

I doubt more than 10% of cbr150 riders would trade up to a bike that's twice as expensive. I don't think that many Thais with a 150 have 140,000b to drop on 250.

With the expense that comes with introducing a completely new product that the nationwide dealers aren't currently trained to deal with, the market is too much of a niche, especially as the ninja has already taken those that do have 140k to drop on a 250.

I'm sorry, but I don't think you and your wife wanting to buy one will be enough to change Honda's mind. :D

Not so sure about it being double the price of the 150, although it could be. If they did come with one, I think they might try to keep the price lower than the Ninja 250 to be more competitive. But who knows.

Now, while I agree that MY opinion won't be enough to change Honda's mind, I'm not so sure about my wife's. Put her in front of their board for about an hour and not only would they introduce it, but would probably custom paint one in pink and GIVE it to her.

:cheesy: