Just Did 1 Yr Renewal Visa In Mae Sai

I assume I got a type-O 1 year visa, though the visa stamp doesn't mention 'type-O'

Some added hoops I had to jump through, which took me by surprise:

- I had a yellow 'residence ID' in my name (written in Thai) which I thought would suffice for residence requirement. No such luck. Good thing I went a day early, because the Imm officer told me to get signed photocopies of the ID of the Thai person who's name is on my property. It required a 3 hour drive r-t, and a return the next day (my V-Day).

- The letter from my Thai bank (stating balance in my account) was 8 days old. He told me it couldn't be more than 7 days. Luckily, there's a branch office in Mae Sai, so that was only an added hour and 200 baht (again). I didn't know there was a 7 day expiration on that letter.

- Didn't need medical check-up paper.

- Near the end of the process, the officer asked how much I paid for rent. I said nothing. He asked me again twice, and each time I gave the honest answer; 'nothing.' I told him I reside in a house I built.(note: Farang can own, in their own name, any improvements they do on Thai properties). He said 'mai dai' (that's not possible). We had a few seconds silent stand-off, then he went ahead and granted the visa.

Just goes to show, you don't always have to bring a Thai girlfriend/wife/assistant to get the process done, though I admit it helps in the process. Thai bureaucrats, like shop workers, much prefer to deal with Asian-looking people. If I had taken the Imm dept gardener off his hedge trimming duties - in to the office to stand alongside me - the Imm officer would have happily addressed all his questions and demands at the Burmese gardener, rather than have eye contact and speak with a farang. I've seen the same quirky dynamic hundreds of times in Thailand. It won't ever change.

You obtained a one year extension of stay which is not a visa. You must have a re-entry permit to keep it alive if you leave Thailand. Normally bank letters should be the day before application if possible - seven days is now the exception as most want it closer to application. Other places may have accepted, and should have, your yellow book as residence.

You obtained a one year extension of stay which is not a visa. You must have a re-entry permit to keep it alive if you leave Thailand. Normally bank letters should be the day before application if possible - seven days is now the exception as most want it closer to application. Other places may have accepted, and should have, your yellow book as residence.

thanks Lopburi. negotiating the twists and turns of visas (and extensions, etc) is rather like taking your computer in to get fixed. Often, the tech expert expects the customer to know all the intricacies of software and hardware. Some of us laymen (for lack of a better term) have expertise in some things (ask me anything about 50's and 60's R&B music), but just don't have expertise in all fields.

The bottom line is, Imm dept could make the process a lot easier. Even the residency thing still baffles me. The only way I can fathom it, is Thai authorities want to know there's a Thai person figuratively 'behind' every farang's residence. I mean, farang aren't living in tree houses or under bridges - why the big deal about where precisely a farang resides in the country? It's not for a mailing address, because nothing gets mailed in that regard. Even with the current system, which requires a Thai person's name to back up every farang's residence, the farang can easily tweak that requirement - as many do. It's as easy as getting a gf to sign photocopies of her ID and some Thai person's (her parent's?) tabian ban.

I got electric service in a Thai person's name - 10 years ago. That poor guy died 8 years ago. I've told that to the Elec dept, but they don't care. The important thing for them is the account has a Thai name behind it. Why are Thai authorities so afraid of phone service or electric hook-up in a farang name?

The same people who makes such ridiculous rules can go to my home country (USA) and buy properties, vehicles, businesses and all that goes with them, without any hassles.

Incidentally; I had a TOT internet hook-up at one of my residences. My Thai friends insisted it had to be in a Thai name. Initially it was, but then I went to TOT office and asked them to be reasonable. Surprise! They put it in my name. So.... that's a small step in the right direction. If farang would stand up for what's reasonable, instead of always behaving like submissive sheep, then there could be some improvements to our 2nd class status in Thailand.

Where you apply for immigration service is dependent on where you live. And they are charged with knowing where you live in case your Embassy is looking for you (death in family or such).

As for wanting a Thai for services such as TOT and such they require an ID card number and passport numbers do not pass the test for a legal ID card. Much as you run into problems filling out a US application for anything without a US ZIP code or State.

which I thought would suffice for residence requirement.

Lop, is Mae Sai an exception for asking for proof of residence for a retirement extension? If not, your read on the other Immigration offices asking for proof of residence.... (Or, maybe I missed something, and they're all now asking for such proof..)

Thanx.

All will need to know residence as that determines if you qualify to use that office. What they require has been different however and the recent change in area offices has made it more of an issue with some. I have not been asked anything here in Bangkok; but address has not changed. I suspect most will accept the file address unless changed. But I would have at least a letter with me with the current address in case asked.

Interesting to me is the fact that you were asked how much rent you pay. I was asked the same thing at Chiang Mai Immigration last month. It took me aback a little as I had never been asked that before in my 8 years here (that I recall), Any idea why? :unsure:

A. They assume all farang pay rent.

B. They want a Thai name behind every serious thing a farang does/owns in Thailand - such as vehicles, houses, properties, businesses, phone service, electric hook-up, internet hook-up. Bank account is one exception, tho many Thai banks will initially tell a farang he/she can't open an account - and then later will come around to being reasonable - if the farang is insist.

Down deep, there's an unarticulated fear, among many Thais, of losing bits of their country - or even perhaps their 'Thainess.'

A very few countries have general policies of being open to 'others' ('give me your poor, your tired, those yearning to be free....') - whereas most countries have closed policies. Thailand fits in the latter category. It's small-mindedness, to think of anyone outside the family, or outside the province, or outside the country as perpetually alien 'others.'

Sure there are exceptions, yet I'm talking of the overall consciousness - as portrayed by how people act, rather than the image they try to portray. If in doubt, look at walls. Go down any street in Thailand, and chances are 99 to 1 that you will be walking down a walled street. When people wall others out, they're also walling themselves in.

Down deep, there's an unarticulated fear, among many Thais, of losing bits of their country - or even perhaps their 'Thainess.'

I spent a lot of time in India during the mid-90s ... During that time several of the new KFC restaurants were fire-bombed. One of the Indian Ministers said at the time as per my recollection: "We welcome persons and companies to come to India for technology transfer; however, we already know how to make fried chicken..." So what is it that any one person brings to Thailand other than your hard currency? I think that determines how one is perceived or acted upon ....