Pigs 101 (A Start)

IsaanAussie

Just got a call from Betagro that they don't have any sows available now. I wish I had pigs to sell with. The current t prices:(

But our first sow is scheduled to be AI-ed next Sunday/Monday. All 5 are following a perfect 21 day oustrus cycle.

Sent from my i-mobile i-style 7.1 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Revar

hi,

Are you going to let your pigs give berth on the floor of the pen ,, or have you bought / built gestation crates ,,

the reason i ask is ,,

i am thinking of trying to keep a couple of my durok sows ,, and give breeding a go they are such a nice pig

iv seen on a web site mooyaso .net a thai company near surin is selling berthing crates but i cant get the measurments off them over the phone , their prices were stated 7,000 - 15,000 depending on size, what are you going to do ? ,, i know you are near korat so much easier for you to have more choices,,

anyway good luck in the future,, mick

Revar

hi,

Are you going to let your pigs give berth on the floor of the pen ,, or have you bought / built gestation crates ,,

the reason i ask is ,,

i am thinking of trying to keep a couple of my durok sows ,, and give breeding a go they are such a nice pig

iv seen on a web site mooyaso .net a thai company near surin is selling berthing crates but i cant get the measurments off them over the phone , their prices were stated 7,000 - 15,000 depending on size, what are you going to do ? ,, i know you are near korat so much easier for you to have more choices,,

anyway good luck in the future,, mick

hi all,

ill give my little bit on this if i may,

we didnt use crates,

what we do is when the sow is about ready, we put lots of straw in her pen, she will start taking big mouthfuls of this and start to make a nest,

we havnt had any problems,

i understand you can get crushed piglets but i just like to see them happy,

but again its every one to there own way,,lol

2 pics one of me the morning they were born

and my wife mac picking up the afterbirth,,lol

jake

post-32351-0-00193100-1394886341_thumb.j

post-32351-0-21573300-1394886393_thumb.j

Jake

mmmmm afterbirth looks tasty ,, for a thai anyway,,

reminds me of Dows mother , she has cows next to this house,, i mean about 3 foot away they sleep under the rice barn which touches this house ,

one day i was looking at the new born calf and i spotted cattle ticks on the mother cow,,

so i said to dow, mothers cows have ticks they need injecting or spraying ,, she says no she's going to eat them ,, i said why is she going to eat the calfs mother ??

no not the cow,,, the ticks

she calls mother ,, mother comes and picks off the ticks ,, mmm nice,,,

mike

• Like 2

Hi mick,

Let me start with saying that this is my first attempt at breeding so I can only tell what I plan to do. If it works the future will tell. I do like the sows to be able to move around so I do not use any crates.

I think this creates less stress, is healthier and a better quality of life.

(BUT if I grow large in the future I may have to use farrowing crates).

The sows are in 4x4 pens. One or two in each pen.

EACH pen has 1or 2 protected piglet areas of 160-50cm where the sows can not go. These areas have an easily remov*able roof with s heating bulb and plastic strips hanging downward. When piglets are born I put ricehuls or straw in the piglet area and attach the roof. After a week or so, when no additional heat is required I remove it again.

The Sows housed together get into oestrus within a few days ofeachother.

For a sows first farrowing I will move her to a solitary pen 3 weeks before farrowing. If the quality of the piglets of her and her 'penmate ' is good I will try to Farrow these two together in one pen for the second farrowing. Of course only for 'meat pigs. When. Breeding for future sows you do not want cross-suckling..IF the sow has enough milk I plan to wean them after 4 weeks, starting introduction of solid food next to the milk after 2 weeks.

I will either sell the piglets or raise them myself depending on the demand, prices and my expectations of prices in a month (15-20g) and 4 months (100+kg)

Hi,

Do Durok sows have less piglets then white breeds ,,

i ask this because i have 4 pure durok females about 4 month old and i was thinking of keeping a couple to try breed pure durok ,, they are one of the best i have had,

But i was told no dont do it by one of my piglet suppliers ,, he told my missus they only have a small litter and u should start with a white breed,,

but i like the durok better ,,

what do you think ,,

mike

KIwi,

you can buy scales that go up to about 60kg just about anywhere,,,[ thats the kind of scale they use in the market to weigh loose food on ]

any large hardware store or corner hardware usually has them ,,

I have one up to 60kg ,, But the bigger ones that you can put a pig in a crate on,, are harder to find,, but the missus was passing through khonkaen two month ago and she spotted some for sale there so she bought a set ,[ if your in that area,, ] also our pig buyer told us there is a shop in Roi-Et that sells them,, they cost about 6000-7000 bht

korat must have them,, its pig city,,

if you want more details pm me your phone number and ill get my missus to call your missus [ easier that way im sure ]

and she can tell her where she got ours from,

mick

Do-Home has the large scales.

can also ask your feed supplier or. Vet to look around for second hand one.

Hi guys i had a thai guy offe me 80 baht per kilo 4 my pigs but he wants to take the pigs amd pay 1 week later is this normal practice in thailand does anyone have any experience with this type of dea if he pays up front the kilo rate is 78 baht thanks in advancel

This sort of deal is normal for weddings and funerals. If the guy is a dealer or a meat seller then it depends if he is known locally. I have held ID cards and taken licence plate numbers where things were a bit iffy. Even got the PooYaiBahn involved. But at 100kgs per pig it is 800 baht the difference so not an easy decision. But a total risk of 8,000baht is also there. If in doubt take the 78 first time.

Edited by IsaanAussie

Have to agree with aussie on wedding or funeral. Probably ok . especially if local but beware of those driving past several pig feed lots, to get to you. Distence and time seem to be a favorite barricade to payment of monies owed in this country..

yesterday i sold 7 @ 77bht kg, weights, 105,, 104,, 99.. 95,, 94, 87, 85.

As i was waiting for the truck to pick up the seven ,, another toyota came in and wanted to buy 2 different pigs, they offerd 80bht ,, to make merit ,,so they took one at a time. the first one they wanted weighed 72kg ,, @80bht,

but i had one pig with bad front legs and she was in a pen with 10 others using a 10 hole feeder bin ,, so i told them if they take her it will be better for me ,, and ill discount it to 76 bht

so that went also.

now trying to buy more but it not that easy at the moment, most people are keeping or just havent got any for sale.

also this hot weather here is having an effect december too cold ,,march april too hot

i only sell to cash buyers now because of problems with payment a few months ago,,, less stress

regards mike

Hey Guys anyone want to buy approx 20 pigs on short notice wifes brother has done the dirty on me. Basically sold my pigs and kept the money and now looking after supposedly someone elses pigs on my land (in the wifes name). I am in the Korat area.

My Land my pigs I say so if someones wants them let me know as it will be a short notice thing. All I want is the money back owing to me on them or if anyone can advise me on a better way of retreiving my money please let me know as there is no paperwork involved and everything was a gentlemans agreement.

If interested let me know and i will give you contact details somehow or you give me yours.

Edited by puffafish101

Puffa,

What a mess. Taking this on face value, you don't have much chance to leave anyone smiling. You have no legal claim to the land and without paperwork, none on the pigs. If the pigs just disappear then it will probably be called a theft and by the time that is sorted you could become the target. Work permits, visas, etc...

My thought is you should sit down and listen to your wife's side of this first. Do not get visibly angry. If you have contributed to the families pig farming with money and little else they will probably have assumed that you have given the pigs to them to take care of and hence the pigs are theirs to do with as they please.

Puffa,

What a mess. Taking this on face value, you don't have much chance to leave anyone smiling. You have no legal claim to the land and without paperwork, none on the pigs. If the pigs just disappear then it will probably be called a theft and by the time that is sorted you could become the target. Work permits, visas, etc...

My thought is you should sit down and listen to your wife's side of this first. Do not get visibly angry. If you have contributed to the families pig farming with money and little else they will probably have assumed that you have given the pigs to them to take care of and hence the pigs are theirs to do with as they please.

walk away put it down to experience and dont do it again .

or poison the pigs and never go back 555

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Isaan it is a bit of a mess it was all going well for first 15 months I was basically the investor and he was the buyer/farmer/seller we were all making money, 50+% for him 50-% for me in the profits.I then gave money to build a new pig shed to expand the business and the pig shed never got built and money went missing. Because of this I told him the trust in the business relationship had been broken and I was shutting down the business. I had 3 groups of pigs left to sell I got the money for the 1st group eventually. The 2nd group I got half the money after a lot of hassling and the 3rd group I have received nothing and still owed money for the pig shed that was never built.

The brother keeps saying he will pay me on such a such a date but usually the date comes and goes and no money appears. Basically tired of pushing for the money and arguing with the misses about this problem. I could forget about it and put it down to another bad experience but I dont like being ripped off and why should I make it easy for him running off with my money.

Cobbler my other option is I guess if selling the pigs is theft then I have already told him through my wife (who knows what she really has said) I want him off the land if I dont get the money soon and let the pigs go and knock everything down because its all no good to me know so why let him use it that would be legal wouldnt it ? I have also written up a loan agreement that I might try and get him to sign to try and make it legal as he keeps saying he will pay me the money. I could go to the Police and say he stole the money which he has but not sure what good that will do. As I dont know if the Police will be on my side being a farang and end up costing me more money if you know what I mean.

Hi Puffa,

My two cents:

Let your wife sort this out for you and take it easy. There is a chance that you will get your money back slowly if taken care of right way.

I always let wife run projects and control money. Giving lump sum to someone will have good chance to fail. It is not necessarily lost money. Many Thais have all kind of loans and you/family will be last in the list to pay back to because there is no interest and no people forcing to pay even with violent means. Perhaps the brother is in some sort of trouble and decided to solve it this way.

If the broher is close and around best option is to sort this out nicely. Breaking down everything would only harm your family and selling/killing the pigs would cause even bigger issue and maybe even uncontrollable reactions from the brother.

Good luck with this,

-OBCMO

Alot depends on how strongly does your wife side with you on this since the land is in her name.

Does standing up for you in this issue means she gotta make a ruckus and disrupt family ties? Or it wouldn't affect her family relations much?

If u r in the same situation as me and wife fully on my side, call in the bull dozers and demolish everything. Otherwise, gotta judge and weigh again between the money and future relations...

OBCMO I agree with you and that is probably the case he has or some other family member is in Finacial strife but this has happened with other members of her family before on a smaller financial scale. Problem is my misses is too soft I think and gives into her family too easily and as most Thai wifes do will take the family side before the farang husbands side right or wrong.

The problem is if I dont keep pushing the issue they will think I have forgotten or the money is that not important to me and will not pay me back at all which again has happened before. As I said before I can let it go and never help out any of her family again but I am not ready to do that. Also I have said I am going to take certain actions if I don't receive the money which I will do hopefully legally as I dont want to break any laws. So far I have been full of threats and no action which also does not look good to her family and makes me feel weak against her family.

Gents I know this is not directly about pigs so would like to thank everybody for there advice and hope this is a educational experience if anyone wants to get into business with your Thai wifes family members whether it be pigs or some other venture. Again thanks fellas for your advice.

Hindsight is 20/20 but from what I understand, other family members have taken advantage of you, prior to this incident, although for lesser sums. You let yourself be cornered with the habit of non repayment already established. Either cut off the money source or plan on the majority of those with knowledge of your poor business sense, being lined up for some more contributions on your part

What I did in a situation where trusted people who had been customers for years suddenly couldn't pay but were able to buy a car and build a new house was.go to a lawyer. He takes 25% of money recovered and negotiated a monthly payback scheme with interest. He follows up on the payments, telephoning the debtor or visiting him if he is late. I tried getting my money myself for 2 years andconsulted the police who advice this. Now I will have about 73 % of my money in about 2 years (there is also a signup fee).

But more importantly it works because Thais look up to/are afraid of lawyers and authority. It also sends a message to others "don't f*** with me". If you have had similar experiences with others I strongly advice this route. Even if he can only pay back a few hundred a month it still sends the message to others. Otherwise you will end up a cash cow or make your wife unhappy because she has to side with you and get into problems with her family.

I am near Dankhuntod in khorat province. If you are close by I'll give you the lawyers number if you pm me. But he speaks only Thai.

• Like 1