Sudden Huge Phone Bill

Wiggy

check under the fetch data and turn all those off, beware there is a second page to it and it might be on there

i got tired of watching it and now have the unlimited Edge on Ais for around 700 baht a month. This will bring your phone bill way down since when it connects to the E network you phone bill will go up, with the package you will only get charged for phone calls and all internet will be free

Now I know why I got a big bill from DTAC, I didn't go into the "Advanced" settings(second page) in the "Fetch New Data" section to turn off the email fetch.

I switched to an AIS Netsim package that charges by the MB or GB instead of by the hour. It's a better setup for smart phones, IMO.

Tell them you got a Black Berry and its only 650 a month with AIS, they dont want to see the unit.

Soory my mistake it is not 760 but 670 Baht which i pay for the unlimited data plan.

I believe there is no difference any more between the BB unlimited and normal unlimited data plan.

( i requested the BB plan )

I just sorted out my bill with dtac...

They allowed me to upgrade my monthly package for this month to the unlimited, which costs 999+vat. Otherwise I was looking at internet charges in excess of 2,000 baht!

Next month I have changed to their 500mb download package which costs 400+vat. I cant see myself using more than that in one month but if so I will change to AIS and grab the Blackberry unlimited package;)

Tell them you got a Black Berry and its only 650 a month with AIS, they dont want to see the unit.

HA! That is exactly what i got. AND the kind lady behind the desk showed me how to plug in that mini-sim cart into the IPhone 4. That time (5 weeks ago) AIS doesn't got the IPhone 4.

NICE! :jap:

I am grappling with a similar problem with my IPhone usage... For the last 3 months my True 100 hour internet package has been exhausted... I went into the online logs and found that at between 12am & 2am my IPhone logs into the internet for 6 HOURS!... and only quits because of a network timeout limit (Little/No data usage)... I reinstalled a clean version of IPhone OS3.12... and it stopped... the next night I added back my Gmail/Exchange email account... And the same 6 hour usage occured... Tonight I added the same Gmail account using the Gmail add account option (Not Exchange)... (I have read that the IPhone has problems with Exchange server timeout)... Will see if that fixes it...

Edited by sfokevin

I bought a new iPhone 4 on Thursday to replace my 3G (27,000 baht for 16 G at New Wave, Central Festival) and I'm now experiencing the same data leakage being discussed here. I use AIS and have a 100 baht 20 hour plan. I have tried any number of things on the phone, but can't seem to find what's accessing the Internet.

I've taken to tuning off cellular data in the network settings when I'm not using it, but I really would like to have a better solution.

I bought a new iPhone 4 on Thursday to replace my 3G (27,000 baht for 16 G at New Wave, Central Festival) and I'm now experiencing the same data leakage being discussed here. I use AIS and have a 100 baht 20 hour plan. I have tried any number of things on the phone, but can't seem to find what's accessing the Internet.

I've taken to tuning off cellular data in the network settings when I'm not using it, but I really would like to have a better solution.

Use one of the MB data packages;) The data packages that charge by the minute will run you into trouble with an iphone...

Have a look in your settings>general>usage - 'cellular network data' to work out how much you use. I have worked out my usage would be around 150mb a month.

• 4 weeks later...

I have found that the IPhone data leakage and multihour logging in were happening mainly when the phone was idle (And I was ASLEEP!!!) - I suspect True has a VERY lax timeout rules (6 hours!) in the middle of the night when there network is underutilized... so I have added SBSetting to my IPhone and also added SBSchedule to allow me to set a timed automatic turn off of data access at 11pm and back on at 8am... So the phone cannot use the True data minutes in that interval.

SBSetting is on cydia at no cost and SBSchedule can be tried for "free" with the cydia source http://theiphonespotrepo.net/apt/

Edited by sfokevin

I had the same issue as the op. I was on the AIS 99Baht plan and never had any issues until a few months ago when suddenly my internet usage started going through the roof. Some people said it was Push notification but push has never worked on my 1st gen unlocked/jailbroken iphone.

However when I switched to their unlimited plan my internet usage suddenly dropped dramatically! Even after I sold my 1st gen iphone and bought a 3GS and turned every push/internet option on. Something very strange with their billing system. unsure.gif

To use an iPhone in the way it was designed to be used and to get more enjoyment out of it get an Internet plan.

My bill never goes over 3k a month and I use it for business calls, E-mail and looking at Thaivisa 24 hours a day. I also call home every week. My Internet plan with true is 699 baht.

My bill is 500 baht per month and I leave internet on all the time, why would people like me want to pay 3k?! It always amazes me how rich people think things like 3k for a phone bill is normal or good?! This is THAILAND, its supposed to be cheap. :lol:

The op should be able to leave internet on all the time, something has changed.

Like I said I use it a lot and call home a lot. But to have it on Internet unlimited plus 3G it costs 699 a month. So why not get a plan so the phone can be used with piece of mind?

I had a plan - it was 99baht for 20hrs/month and the most I'd ever used before was 202 minutes in a month. That was with Cellular Data - on, Data roaming - on, Location services - on. Then it changed without any input from me and it clocked up 138 hours in 6 days - difficult to believe I know.

you likely installed an app that is polling in the background. happened to me. i didn't notice in bkk where i jump from wireless network to wireless network, but once i went to the beach i was draining money rapidly.