On Line Train Tickets What Happened To The Site?

iian23

I was also wanting to buy train tickets on-line tyoo but apparently the site has been closed for one month to do work on it . Maybe install a new on-line booking system - it is a bit unclear why it is off-line for a month.

According to the Seat61 site..., which also highlights other ticekting methods. Also the SRT website does list all agents: http://www.railway.co.th/ticket/Agent.asp , use Google Chrome translate.

1) Buy tickets online at www.thairailwayticket.com. New from February 2009!

Update summer 2010: Online booking will be 'temporarily unavailable' from 1 September 2010 onwards, it's not clear why or for how long.

Thai Railways have at last launched online booking, at www.thairailwayticket.com in conjunction with their partners Prida Pramote. The system will currently book 2nd class sleepers or 2nd class seats (but not 1st class sleepers) on a few key routes & trains, including all the main trains between Bangkok & Chiang Mai (trains 1, 2, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14), trains 69 & 70 between Bangkok & Nong Khai, and most key trains between Bangkok & Surat Thani or Hat Yai, for example. Once it is running successfully they plan to extend it to other classes, routes & trains. So give it a go! Bookings open 60 days before departure, you can use this system from 60 days down to a minimum of 3 days before departure (less than 3 days and you'll need to book at the station). You need to register. It won't accept UK postcodes, so use that old favourite '12345'. You pay securely by Visa or MasterCard and print out your own ticket, which is valid for travel. You can buy tickets for one to four people at a time, but not for more than 4 people unless you repeat the process. It doesn't offer a choice of upper or lower berth, but if you get an upper at the end of the booking (before payment), simply go back and reselect the train and it may well offer you a lower. The emails that I receive now usually report success with this new system, but further feedback is always welcome.

Traveller Graham Roberts reports (Feb 2009): "I have just used it successfully to book some Thai train tickets. Besides the limitations stated above, it will only accept bookings for 2 persons maximum at a time [this has now increased to 4] and it will not allow you to select upper or lower berth. I booked two tickets and was given one upper and one lower both together, and then I made another booking and was given one upper, no choice (it is in the same coach but some distance from the other two). Credit card payment went through successfully. I made a booking 52 days ahead. The website states you can go up to 60 days in advance. One is able to print off one’s tickets which look similar to those you actually get in Thailand. Once in Thailand I will try to change my tickets for the berths that I prefer."

From the http://www.thairailwayticket.com/estars/'>http://www.thairailwayticket.com/estars/ site:

Effective 1 September 2010, http://www.thairailwayticket.com will be tempolarily out of services. Alternatively we provide a channel to reserve train tickets over telephone by call 1690.

Edited by lomatopo

• 8 years later...

It still doesn't work:

Firstly I successfully registered my wife but not for myself. The reg process says enter a Thia ID card no or passport. I think it means Thai passport as my UK passport no did not work.

Secondly when I completed the application I got this screen and gave up!

image.png.cac03e9087b244813d7c09d5e146c44c.png